U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 AM

10,023 posts, read 9,265,827 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

I have a large new home (5000 sq ft). The home itself isn't based on any type - i.e. Craftsman, Tudor, etc. It is just a regular house. As such, it can be decorated in just about any way you want it. I have some rooms that are traditional, and a few others that are modern. Or am I to furnish the home/style the home the same throughout? Can you mix styles without it looking horribly? I am talking room by room, not traditional furniture mixed with modern furniture in the same room. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,558,427 times
Yes, it can be done..... very carefully! The one thing you will need to pay attention to is color flow through the rooms, that is going to be the factor that ties averything together, and will help the house from feeling disjointed, or schitzophrenic,.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:56 AM

11,263 posts, read 16,773,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hi there.

I have a large new home (5000 sq ft). The home itself isn't based on any type - i.e. Craftsman, Tudor, etc. It is just a regular house. As such, it can be decorated in just about any way you want it. I have some rooms that are traditional, and a few others that are modern. Or am I to furnish the home/style the home the same throughout? Can you mix styles without it looking horribly? I am talking room by room, not traditional furniture mixed with modern furniture in the same room. Thanks
Sure.

When modern furniture was all the rage from the late 40s to the early 70s (and again now), it was not only purchased by people who had modern homes. Most people did not. Granted furniture with clean lines is going to look a bit better in houses with clean lines. But its not exclusive. Its not as if people do not put Asian furniture in Colonial houses or Art Deco in Craftsmans.

I think room by room motifs or themes are a great idea.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:32 PM

7,259 posts, read 15,243,854 times
Definitely mix and match it, even within the same room if it suits your fancy. I think it's actually rather undesirable to have the house look like you bought all the furniture in one fell swoop at Akbar and Jeff's Furniture Hut as part of a package deal. There's a certain elegance and sophistication that comes when you can pull off the impression that the furniture you've got has been carefully acquired over the years from a number of different places (both in terms of location and in terms of the different stages of your life).

As kshe95girl said, think about a theme that works from place to place. Color is the easy one, and also think about secondary themes involving texture, shape, or common whimsy.

However, if you are going to start putting the lucite chair next to the Louis Whatever side table, I'd spend the money on an interior designer who has experience in pulling off that kind of eclectic look. It's really to aim for Elle Decor and just miss it in a really horrible way.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,889,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Definitely mix and match it, even within the same room if it suits your fancy. I think it's actually rather undesirable to have the house look like you bought all the furniture in one fell swoop at Akbar and Jeff's Furniture Hut as part of a package deal. There's a certain elegance and sophistication that comes when you can pull off the impression that the furniture you've got has been carefully acquired over the years from a number of different places (both in terms of location and in terms of the different stages of your life).

As kshe95girl said, think about a theme that works from place to place. Color is the easy one, and also think about secondary themes involving texture, shape, or common whimsy.

However, if you are going to start putting the lucite chair next to the Louis Whatever side table, I'd spend the money on an interior designer who has experience in pulling off that kind of eclectic look. It's really to aim for Elle Decor and just miss it in a really horrible way.
Agreed! Things are being mixed pretty freely these days and I also agree that tying it together with some color scheme may help unify the rooms. And yes, as stated above by beachmouse, if you're really ambitious about mixing periods, you either need a very keen eye for what works or a professional to assist you. But ordinarily, things are being mixed today. I think that's what the "transitional" trend kinda caters to right now.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:48 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,558,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Agreed! Things are being mixed pretty freely these days and I also agree that tying it together with some color scheme may help unify the rooms. And yes, I also agree, as stated above by beachmouse, that if you're really ambitious about mixing periods, you either need a very keen eye for what works or a professional to assist you. But ordinarily, things are being mixed today. I think that's what the "transitional" trend kinda caters to right now.
Exactly! I have Danish Modern from the late '50's mixed in with French and English antiques throughout my home, it takes a VERY keen eye to do this look successfully, I have been honing this look for upwards of a decade, I have it pretty much the way I want it now........unlike some posts on other threads, hiring a decorator need not be a bank-breaking business, it can actually save a person in the long run from making costly mistakes, and having to live with them.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:29 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,454,199 times
May I be the first to say that for the first time, perhaps ever, that we all are in aggreement on an issue?

I can't speak for the colors as much as an Interior Designer can but quite often I am asked to design the kitchens and baths completely different. I might put oak in one bath, maple in another and hickory in the next while doing cherry in the kitchen. And the kitchen might have full overlay contemporary door styles and the baths have traditional and the laundry rooms have plain ol slab doors.

Anything goes.......except white cabinets of course !

Old 10-01-2009, 12:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,695,009 times
Quote:
Hi there.

Yes you most certainly can...it's called eclectic and it can be done within the same room.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:15 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,134,223 times
We had the same dilemma with our home and found, with a bit of shopping around, it is quite possible and rather attractive to utilize both styles, not only room by room, but also in the same room. Our original plan was to maintain an uber-modern style, but when we started shopping around, there were so many other styles we liked just as much.

Since we want each room throughout the house to have a cohesive feel, we've taken a similar color scheme and used it in each room - rich browns and golds and tonal greens with pops of bold, bright colors like orange, red and white adorn each of the rooms we've completed thus far. All of the wood tones we've used throughout the house are very dark in venge finish. That alone will lend a modern feel, although it's easy to find traditional pieces in the same tone.

So you get an idea of what one might see when they walk in our front door, I'll thoroughly describe two rooms in our house. I know your intention is to give each room a different vibe, but mixing the styles is a great way make the house come together and also tends to be easier to shop for!

FORMAL LIVING:

Our sofas are modern with a hint of traditional in that the arms bow outward and the backrest has a faint scalloped top edge. The low arms, lack of back cushions (it's just super padded) and dark legs give it a modern look with a seemingly more traditional style.

We have one accent chair that is very traditional in its style and modern in the choice of fabric. It's a high wingback with scrolled arms and scalloped top edge, but the fabric is a modern circular design. Legs, as usual, are dark venge.

The side tables are modern in all respects with clean lines and no frills. Our coffee table, on the other hand, has beautifully detailed trim work, but is neat, tidy and very low (it's a map table, so it sits lower than your knees when you're on the sofa), giving it a thoroughly modern feel, although a closer look definitely reveals traditional styling.

Our accent pieces are simple - table lamps are very modern, as is the artwork. It all pulls together beautifully, mostly because of the close attention we paid to wood tones and fabric choices. We were also careful to "cross-reference" patterns throughout the space. For example, the circular motif on the side chair corresponds across the room with the table lamps which each have a circular base. Our floor lamp has the same parallel design as the legs on the side tables. The hardware on the side table next to the accent chair (distressed copper) matches an Asian inspired trunk in deep red directly across the room from it. Little details like this make a HUGE difference. Guests always comment on these little details and are often speechless.

DINING ROOM:

Overall, the dining room is modern. The table is simple and clean with no fuss. Straight legs on 4 corners and that's it. The sideboard is the same - no frills. Our dining chairs are in keeping with the accent chair in the adjacent formal living room (as described above) in that they have a scrolled top edge, lending a traditional splash in an otherwise modern space. We decided to go with armless highback dining chairs to keep the feeling of the dining room open and airy, especially considering our desire to have venge wood throughout the house. Artwork in the space is modern, but only contains greens, golds, oranges and taupes - the same color story as in the formal living. Traditional vases with flared necks compliment the room in two adjacent corners, but again, the two-tone color variation gives them a modern feel. A circular mirror above the sideboard is in perfect harmony with the accent chair in the living room and with the table lamps, as both rooms are open to each other and both are visible from the entry.

I hope this gives you some insight into what we've done and what you can keep your eye out for when you shop for your home. Keep the little things in mind like (i) shapes, (ii) colors and (iii) textures and have an idea of where you plan to put each piece in relation to each other. Putting them next to each other might work, but spacing them evenly throughout the space will unite it all together. I know your plan is not to mix, but it can be done fairly easily and it will really show your guests you know what you're doing!

Last edited by NickMan7; 10-01-2009 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 12:18 AM

6 posts, read 27,086 times
Quote:
Hi there.

Modern and Traditional can get a mix but in both you have to be cautious of space, color and style. Traditional takes much space, colors are lighter but in modern just the opposite, it takes less space, uses every inches and colors are vibrant so before mixing it think it that it gets mix well and give a new feeling to the room and as you said it doesnt comes out horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating