Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 AM

3 posts, read 42,294 times

Advertisements

Did you ever solve your paint problem? I have pickled oak cabinets and just painted the most beautiful color with them, it's toffee colored and it completely tones down the pink. I went to home depot and picked out every single sample they had in the toffee and olive family and taped them to my cabinets and just started picking off the ones that obviously clashed. In the end, only had 3 to choose from. Originally chose the olive but with one swipe of the paintbrush my husband and I said Nope. Switched to the toffee and it's gorgeous. Makes the cabinets look really up to date. Also added dark hardware where there was none and it took that cheap/modern look away and made them more transitional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 13,313 times
I have the same color problem with my pickled oak cabinets and found Eddie Bauer color Oatmeal from the Ridgeline Cabin collection. Or Chatham Green from Glidden. Either one look great. Good Luck. Also put a tile backsplash in... tumbled slate in silver sands color. We get nothing but compliments on it. Really warms up the place.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
You have a lot of warm tones in the room adjacent, so I would definitely pay attention to them. Perhaps the green or bagel, already suggested, will pull together your rug colors with the cupboards.

I'd paint a few big pieces of cardboard with my top 3 colors and live with it for a day or so.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
Add me to the list of interested to see how it turned out.
Curious about the toffee colors mentioned by alpine. care to share specific names?
thanks

Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 15,240 times
Red face I need suggestions too....

I also have the pinkish white-washed looking cabinets in the kitchen (same in the rest of the house too). My countertops are a corian type, in a pale sage green color. The house is an open concept, so the living, dining, entry and kitchen are one room, except for the counter and stub wall that separates the kitchen, somewhat. I want to paint all the walls in the house the same color, a toasty tan. But, the kitchen is really a stumper. Oh, and the tile floors have a pinkish tone to them. Any suggestions as to what I should do in this kitchen? I'm new to this forum, so have not figured out how to post a pictures, but I did go to the attachment on this page and hopefully it's visible to you all out there. My options are not to replace or paint the cupboards or replace the countertop. Just not in the cards right now. But painting is!
Attached Thumbnails
What color walls with pickled oak cabinets?? H-E-L-P-kitchen-1.jpg   What color walls with pickled oak cabinets?? H-E-L-P-kitchen-2.jpg   What color walls with pickled oak cabinets?? H-E-L-P-kitchen-3.jpg   What color walls with pickled oak cabinets?? H-E-L-P-kitchen-4.jpg   What color walls with pickled oak cabinets?? H-E-L-P-living-room-1.jpg  

What color walls with pickled oak cabinets?? H-E-L-P-living-room-2.jpg  

Old 10-07-2011, 12:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggywawa View Post
I also have the pinkish white-washed looking cabinets in the kitchen (same in the rest of the house too). My countertops are a corian type, in a pale sage green color. The house is an open concept, so the living, dining, entry and kitchen are one room, except for the counter and stub wall that separates the kitchen, somewhat. I want to paint all the walls in the house the same color, a toasty tan. But, the kitchen is really a stumper. Oh, and the tile floors have a pinkish tone to them. Any suggestions as to what I should do in this kitchen? I'm new to this forum, so have not figured out how to post a pictures, but I did go to the attachment on this page and hopefully it's visible to you all out there. My options are not to replace or paint the cupboards or replace the countertop. Just not in the cards right now. But painting is!
Difficult scenario for you, I've had to deal with that tile and those cabinets more times than I care to remember, as there are tons of those homes with the exact same product here in FL.
When all the client can do is paint, these are the 2 neutral colors I use, as they will NOT pull the pink tones at all.
Sherwin Williams SW 6128 Blonde, and Sherwin Williams SW 6387 Compatible Cream.
I know the scope of these colors is limited, but anything with a hint of pink undertones is totally going to pull the pink out of the cabinets and tile.
I would buy samples of the colors and paint a 2x2 swatch on different walls and observe the colors throughout the day, and also with artificial lighting in the evening.
Also, a darker color on the same color strip could be used for an accent wall, just to break up the monochromatic sameness.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 PM

18 posts, read 39,708 times
Everyone wants to make a dream house. I agree with you that the kitchen and living room are all one big room, and the cabinets in the kitchen should be awesome. Paint increase the quality of furniture.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 AM

75 posts, read 221,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggywawa View Post
We are buying a house with the same combination. What did u decide? Did u do any with cabinets or countertop?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:24 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter456 View Post
We are buying a house with the same combination. What did u decide? Did u do any with cabinets or countertop?
Peggy has not posted in 3 years my friend. She was just a one hit one post wonder. She never even came back to look at the answers to her question.

If you need the very best advice from another professional that I trust, message kshe95girl. She is a wiz with colors and an Interior Designer whom I trust. And I'm a fusspot so that's a tall order. Her post is on this same page. Go message her.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Peggy has not posted in 3 years my friend. She was just a one hit one post wonder. She never even came back to look at the answers to her question.

If you need the very best advice from another professional that I trust, message kshe95girl. She is a wiz with colors and an Interior Designer whom I trust. And I'm a fusspot so that's a tall order. Her post is on this same page. Go message her.
Where did kshe95girl go? I miss her great posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating