U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 AM

296 posts, read 598,792 times

Advertisements

I love the look of wallpaper but I have a brand new townhome with contractor neutral walls. I am thinking of wallpapering a couple rooms but when I was looking for a home I was told that wallpaper is not "in" anymore. When I went back to a townhome that I really liked (they had beautiful wallpaper) the wallpaper was gone! The realtor told me that they had a lot of negative remarks about the wallpaper.
I suppose I should just do what I want in my home (my husband will hate me for attempting wallpaper) but I wonder why people are starting to dislike wallpaper so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:11 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,397,085 times
Not ALL wallpaper is "out" of style there is some tasteful ways of doing it especially if you don't go overboard putting it all over the place or use some horrendous busy pattern. I can't speak for your tastes but really think long and hard about what patterns appeal to you and if they really are in good taste.

That said, it's YOUR home and you should do what you like but do you realize that wallpapering is like 10x more expensive than paint? And you say your husband is going to kill you? It's his home too so make sure you both agree on the pattern/work involved/cost before you just streamroll him into letting you do it. And if you do go ahead and wall paper make sure you do it the RIGHT way so it's not a PITA to remove down the road. If someday you decide to sell (most) prospective buyers are not going to look at the wall paper and think "oh, how lovely" they are going to look at it and think "OMG. That is going to be so much work to remove!!". actually if you do need to sell you should probably take the wallpaper down before you even list your place and repaint a neutral color, you'll get more $$ for your home that way. And ofcourse maybe some day even if you are not thinking of selling you will tire of the wallpaper and want to take it down you will be so glad you made it a little bit eaiser on yourself (a little bit, wallpaper is NEVER easy to remove)

Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 AM

6,854 posts, read 22,094,858 times
If wallpaper was really out- then the manufacturers would be out of business. And they're not. They keep cranking out new patterns every year.
I think the reasoning is styles change so quickly that wallpaper becomes dated quickly. Paint is cheap- Today it's white, tomorrow it's yellow, blue, green, etc.
Choice wisely, but in the end (when you sell) you will probably have to remove.

So, with that in mind remember to prepare the walls correctly- sand smooth, and then apply a heavy coat of sizing. After the walls are dry, apply wallpaper. The sizing will be your saving grace when you have to remove the paper.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 AM

296 posts, read 598,792 times
Thanks for you comment. The home that we just sold had ugly wallpaper (from the 60's) that was coming off the walls when we bought it and it was a pain to take off because in some rooms it was coming off in little tiny pieces and taking some of the wall off with it.
My husband just doesn't want to be bothered with putting up wallpaper or listening to me as I do it. He does like my decorating style though. Maybe I will take a wallpaper class at Lowe's or something, and I will definitely look at the cost of doing wallpaper. Thanks again.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 AM

1,557 posts, read 2,086,793 times
Depends on the wallpaper and style of home. In some of the grand homes in Atlanta Buckhead area, it still is a mainstay but probably $100/roll type wallpaper. Traditional homes seems to take on wallpaper better than contemporary or transitional styles.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:41 PM

14,652 posts, read 28,016,236 times
the design magazines are showing more rooms and a variety of rooms with wallpaper--entry halls, dining rooms, some bathrooms but few kitchens--the look there is for tile on walls under cabs and paint on others
BUT most of those are in homes that are expensive--over 700K I would think--and obviously in homes of people who ARE very conscious of style
that is not most of the people buying homes today

we are redoing home we lived in for 20+ yrs -- bought another one and moved out last year actually--let the house just sit for a while whiile we thought about what we wanted to do with it
we considered just selling it "as is" but the market was so off and most people consider "as is" to mean defective--not just dated
we finally decided to redo it--we had every piece of wallpaper stripped and the walls retextured with some very low-level texturing...along with other stuff--like taking out some dated tile flooring and installing larger neutral tiles
the house behind ours went up for sale during this process and sold to the first people who saw it--in a slow market with 4 or 5 other homes for sale in the neighborhood--
the people who bought were local and wanted to stay in same town -- said that most homes they were looking at were dated and unattractive--and the one behind us at least had all the wallpaper down and neutral colors--so we were glad that we did spend time/money to update...

of course we have done more than necessary probably but I did not want it to look piecemeal when we were done--so we did all the baths not just the master--although we aren't retiling the tub/shower in the front bath--just changed out the cultured marble vanities/fixtures for granite/ORB

Old 10-27-2009, 01:53 PM

3,321 posts, read 2,974,478 times
I think it is mostly considered out of style, although I like it when done well. Of course the beauty of it is in the eye of the beholder so different strokes for different folks. If you plan to live in your place for a time, then do what you want, but otherwise I wouldn't bother with it. It does become dated, is work to get it off, and trust me you will probably get sick of it. It will make your home appeal to less buyers overall. With that being said, I had some in my old home and left it up and the house still sold quickly. My husband said never again.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 PM

47 posts, read 169,946 times
Wallpaper is making a huge comeback in contemporary decorating. I recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Chicago, they just remodeled, I thought their use of wallpaper was very nice. You may be able to see some pics on the web. I see a lot of one wall in wallpaper, that can look great too. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:48 PM

1,819 posts, read 2,383,801 times
Check out "Dwell" magazine. You'll see lots of very modern houses with wallpaper, usually as an accent wall or entry. A lot of it has a retro-60's look like black and white flocked patterns. I've also notices a lot of textured / patterned wall coverings that can be painted.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 PM

6,270 posts, read 12,537,745 times
OMG-I hate wallpaper, hate the way it looks and would never,ever have any in my house anywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating