U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 PM

1,819 posts, read 2,316,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
It totally depends on if the rest of the house is still true to the '50's, or has it been "remuddled"?
I agree! It it is true '50's, I'd leave it alone. I'm looking for a house like that! If it were that ugly 70's or 80's dark wood, I'd paint it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:38 PM

5,157 posts, read 7,426,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyBlue View Post
Our house came with all oak trim, windows, doors, you name it! Stupid 90s! lol. But we painted everything white (2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint) and it looks amazing!!!!
Hmmm. Okay. I saw the pictures, and I think that it looked pretty good with the natural wood trim as well. Maybe you can post your thread with the before and after pictures so the OP can take a look. IMO I love natural trim, but I have to agree that painted trim does look more "modern." One shortcoming of painted trim is that it needs to be repainted, and if you plan to stay in the house for a couple of decades and you have nice trim, it will be hard to make it look good with successive coats of paint. With a simpler wood trim, it may not be as painful if you have to replace it, but if you have hard-to-replace ornate or period trim in hardwood, I think it's worthwhile to keep it unpainted.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,141,916 times
Default stained woodwork or painted woodwork?

Depends on what type of wood was used, the quality, how much it covers, and where it is. Some buyers specifically look for the stained wood in these 1950s and 1960s houses.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 AM

12,237 posts, read 11,742,373 times
Leave it alone, you never know what the next owners would want. i wouldn't even waste my time.

I hate white trim, I just hate it......OK, that made me feel better.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,611,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Leave it alone, you never know what the next owners would want. i wouldn't even waste my time.

I hate white trim, I just hate it......OK, that made me feel better.
You hate white trim? Be careful saying that around here. There are those who like it and carry really big weapons and even start threads in defense of white.

I will only say that I agree with your view on it. Now watch hate mail I get.

I love wood and the natural beauty of wood. Painting to me covers up that beauty.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:35 PM

12,532 posts, read 18,207,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You hate white trim? Be careful saying that around here. There are those who like it and carry really big weapons and even start threads in defense of white.

I will only say that I agree with your view on it. Now watch hate mail I get.

I love wood and the natural beauty of wood. Painting to me covers up that beauty.
Please don't start the white wars back up.

I am looking at purchasing a 1977 home that has the original stained darker wood doors, trim, etc. It is really pretty. My home now has gorgeous white mouldings but for some reason I like the stained wood in the other home. I guess I like them both depending on the home.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:15 AM

14,937 posts, read 6,985,219 times
This topic will always be a conflict.

If you like stained wood - raise your hand ..... half of you will. There are factors to consider when deciding upon the results.

To the OP; Tell us more about the entire house. Have pictures?

Old 11-26-2009, 08:44 AM

12,532 posts, read 18,207,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
This topic will [i]always be a conflict[/I].

If you like stained wood - raise your hand ..... half of you will. There are factors to consider when deciding upon the results.

To the OP; Tell us more about the entire house. Have pictures?
Truer words have never been spoken! I also think that some stained wood looks better than others. Quality of said wood as well as stain job also factors in.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:23 AM

14,937 posts, read 6,985,219 times
A prime example (my thoughts only) a Craftsman house (http://www.designbasics.com/articles/designtrends/The-Craftsman-House.asp - broken link)via FL Cookie Cutter house.

My house in the panhandle was stained and added clear coating throughout even the doors. I loved it. Once in a while I would use a drop of furniture polish on a rag and dust down the doors - they shine and look just wonderful. On the other hand, my brother's house here in South Florida - cookie cutter would be awful in non-white.

It all depends on the house, really.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:42 AM

10,427 posts, read 29,611,491 times
You are all right. Everyone is right. People are saying what they like more: painted wood or stained wood. The fact that this is one of the more fiercly fought battles on the entire CD forum baffles me. In the automotive forums I have never seen a battle about which is better, Dodge or Chevy for example such as this. I dont even think the 2 political parties fight this hard what they believe in in the real war zone, the political forums.

Without taking sides in this post, I can say that the home building industry has changed over the last couple decades. Way way back when I got into fine carpentry and was honing my skills, wood everything was used. There was no such thing as MDF trim like they have today. All trim was made out of real wood which was aso called stain grade wood. Even paintable trim was real wood, it was a cheap pine finger joint wood but it was real wood.

The major changes in paint VS stained wood has nothing to do with trends. It has to do with home builders finding cheaper ways to build a home. By using cheap and junky paint grade trim made out of non wood products the builder can save perhaps 2 thousand dollars per home. To buy quality pine or better grade wood trim not only cost more for the product but cost far more in the finishing process.

To stain wood you must stain, dry over night, poly coat, dry over night, sand and poly again and again and again. You have a 3 day process to apply a beautiful finish that shows off the beauty of the wood which will also suggest a quality builder who pays attention to details and a quality home product in the end. To paint trim is just spray bomb a mass line up of trim boards on a saw horse and boom your done. Many builders just hang raw trim, caulk it in place and spray bomb walls and trim as one. That suggests a very inferior home and an inferior builder who just wants to pump out a product as quick as they can and may the consumer be damned.

If the housing market ever recovers, and I dont think it will in my lifetime, I wonder if special things like stained trim might come back again. Cost of product and install time might not be a factor in an economy where every builder has to do one up on the other builder to show superiority to win over the very few home buyers out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating