Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:17 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Are you kidding? Candace Olsen is one of the best designers on HGTV. Maybe blue, brown and modern are her signature colors/looks but she doesn't use cheap, ugly design crap like you see on "Design on a Dime" and some other generic beginner shows. She's one of the few that incorporates antiques and vintage pieces successfully, she's got an eye on combining wood and other textures, she always considers lighting in her designs, and she's one of the best in utilizing custom fabrics in both color and content. Her final products always show designs when thought out as a whole and not in fragments.
They just always look the same to me. I'm not saying she isn't good, but everything is always brown, blue, chenille, polished nickel trim, maybe a little animal print thrown in...JMHO.

I don't disagree that she is probably the best designer on HGTV. And Design on a Dime..I do not like.

Last edited by sophialee; 11-02-2009 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 04:30 PM

354 posts, read 2,076,147 times
I like to smack around David Bromstad he's annoyingggg... Also Lauren Lake b'c' she would spend a good bulk of money on top of the line appliance's. Do you really need to spend 2k on a dishwasher or 5k to 8k on a fridge... I don't think average folks in the real world does that.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:55 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
HGTV Stars I Like:

Mike Aubrey and Sabrina Soto. I like they way they play "good cop/bad cop" on "Real Estate Intervention".

Vern Yip. Probably the only HGTV designer I would let loose in my house.

Candace Olsen. Yes her show is unrealistic, but I do like her personality and she seems very professional.

Sandra Rinomato from "Property Virgins". I could probably work with her.

Barry Wood from "Hidden Potential". Huge crush here. I love architects.

HGTV Stars I would like to slap.....on the ass :

Carter Oosterhouse.
Eric Stromer.

HGTV Stars I Miss the Most:

Donna and Shannon Freeman. I don't see them much any more? Sooooo catty.

HGTV Stars I Can't Watch:

Jodi Gilmour from "For Rent". It's. The. Way. She. Talks. That clip at the end of every word. Drives me batty.

Tatiana Londono from "The Property Shop". Love her clothes, love her hair. Too bad she doesn't do her show in ASL or closed captioning. Her voice = nails on a chalkboard . Eeek.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:18 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
HGTV Stars I Like:

HGTV Stars I would like to slap.....on the ass :

Carter Oosterhouse.
Eric Stromer.
I've watched them and had many thoughts.

I don't like The Property Shop show at all. I WANT to like it....but I just can't get into it because it all feels so fake or staged. She is a really pretty woman....it is just the show I don't enjoy.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Lauren Lake from the Spice Up My Kitchen makes me want to take up boxing a punch the living daylights out of her. And her "designs" are about as bland as they come, they're practically builder/model home 'upgrades' that are so generic it's criminal. Talk about LACK of spice in the kitchen...

Vern Yip is very hit and miss personality wise with me, sometimes he bugs the crap outta me other times not so much his designs are safer than I'd like personally.

If I had tons of money I'd fly Candice Olson down from Canada and have her work out my entire house with me....she rocks.

David Bromstad, he's cute, he's colorful...

Genevieve Gorder is super adorable, reminds me of the actress who played "Penelope" (Desmond's long lost love) on Lost .

Sandra Rinamato has balls, I like her, I don't care what people say about her, she's quirky and she doesn't put up with BS and she deals with the total morons everytime!

Sandra Wong from House Hunters....WHY WHY WHY is she even on TV? She's sooooooooo bad at it.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:51 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post

Sandra Wong from House Hunters....WHY WHY WHY is she even on TV? She's sooooooooo bad at it.
OMG how could I have forgotten about her? She has the personality of a rock.

Slap!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
OMG how could I have forgotten about her? She has the personality of a rock.

Slap!
We call her the Bobble Head because her head looks like it is on a spring. She drives DH nuts.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
They just always look the same to me. I'm not saying she isn't good, but everything is always brown, blue, chenille, polished nickel trim, maybe a little animal print thrown in...JMHO.

I don't disagree that she is probably the best designer on HGTV. And Design on a Dime..I do not like.
Sorry just my 2 cents on Candice.....I do like some of the stuff she does, but money, money, money!!!!!!! Whew! Has anyone ever seen a design which does NOT include at least 24 recessed lights? and track lights galore? She is at the absolute opposite end of the spectrum as design on a dime. ....and yes, she does like blue and brown. ugh...

One of my all time favorites is the gal who works with Bromsted (t)? Crap, I can't remember her name....Danielle? Wow can that gal get creative with paint!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,471 times
Lisa LaPorter! Could one of you kindly inform her there are more than 2 colors in this world of ours??? All she seems to know is sage and beige. I believe she does know her stuff, however, but she's always having to neutralize for the masses and everything is stripped of any personality. Gets old really fast.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:43 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Beach- ironicly I caught a Candace ep today an lo and behold- premade/ready to assemble shelving and cabinets. AND she hung tract lighting from a wall to avoid the cost of recessed cans. I think it was her token 'let's show them I can design something that does not cost as much as a new Benz' episode. But I do give her credit for doing a very good job aside from to much stuff (but I'm a guy so YMMV.)

Cannot stand Antonio from Dsign Star- still not sure why i watched except to get mad at the repetition or cluelessness of most of them. The guy has no concept of space planning or scale. I usually atch design shows to see space planning or material choices since I get design but like to see someone skilled doing those two things. He has neither.

Vern Yim puts me to sleep because I think he is more limited than Cnadace by half. And I don't think Barry Wood could budget a project to save his life- just flexes whatever muscles he has, smirks and shows a decent rendering (which is altogether diferetn from an actual design.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating