Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Well, $20,000 is basically a sofa, 2 chairs, an ottoman, and maybe a portion of a coffee table. And I stress maybe.

For the best representation of true interior design on TV, watch Sarah's House. Like Candice, she's a Canadian designer, but IMO she is soooo much better. But, if you watch that show, you can see exactly how much it costs to decorate a house on a budget.
Personally, I still think they spend too much. $20,000 for a sofa, two chairs and ottoman and coffee table? I could do that for under $3000, easy, and that would be brand new or newly refurbished stuff.. you just have to know where to look.

I source things for a living and every time I watch Sarah's house I cringe a little. She says she's on a 'budget' but still spends far too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 01:55 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,337,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Personally, I still think they spend too much. $20,000 for a sofa, two chairs and ottoman and coffee table? I could do that for under $3000, easy, and that would be brand new or newly refurbished stuff.. you just have to know where to look.

I source things for a living and every time I watch Sarah's house I cringe a little. She says she's on a 'budget' but still spends far too much.
I'm curious, where would you look? I'm positive wherever it is, the furniture isn't good quality.

Sourcing, "things," is not nearly the same as being a interior designer. The thing is, people equate budget with cheap, and they are in no way similar. Different things require adhering to a budget.

An upholstered chair alone will cost $1500 minimum. That's for the chair itself, not for the fabric or the labor. Let's say the fabric was found on sale for $70 a yard and this chair required 10 yards. We're at $2200. Okay, now you have to pay for upholstery. Conservatively, we'll say that he's charging $500. Our fabric didn't require a lot of matching, so he didn't have to work as hard. Okay, so grand total for your chair is $2700. What kind of delivery service are you going to have? Curbside or white glove.

Drapes for a window. Right off top, labor charges for one window will be $2000. Again, you gotta find fabric. You fall in love with this Kravet fabric that's $110 a yard. One panel requires 10 yards. You've got 4 windows in the living room so you need 8 panels. Okay, your draperies are going to be $16800. Don't forget hardware and installation.

I've done one chair and the windows and I've spent $20000.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,700,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The only person on HGTV that's any good is Mike Holmes.
Holmes is a jerk. He acts like he's the only guy who knows anything or ever hit a lick. He must get a sore arm from patting himself on the back.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,915,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I'm curious, where would you look? I'm positive wherever it is, the furniture isn't good quality.

Sourcing, "things," is not nearly the same as being a interior designer. The thing is, people equate budget with cheap, and they are in no way similar. Different things require adhering to a budget.

An upholstered chair alone will cost $1500 minimum. That's for the chair itself, not for the fabric or the labor. Let's say the fabric was found on sale for $70 a yard and this chair required 10 yards. We're at $2200. Okay, now you have to pay for upholstery. Conservatively, we'll say that he's charging $500. Our fabric didn't require a lot of matching, so he didn't have to work as hard. Okay, so grand total for your chair is $2700. What kind of delivery service are you going to have? Curbside or white glove.

Drapes for a window. Right off top, labor charges for one window will be $2000. Again, you gotta find fabric. You fall in love with this Kravet fabric that's $110 a yard. One panel requires 10 yards. You've got 4 windows in the living room so you need 8 panels. Okay, your draperies are going to be $16800. Don't forget hardware and installation.

I've done one chair and the windows and I've spent $20000.
Not everyone operates on your budget.
Your post is a bit superior, thats not very nice.
I've done whole rooms for clients where the budget was specified for 10K or less, and was able to find high quality furniture, etc.
You're putting us working professionals in a bad light, please dont do that.
Real professionals work within whatever the clients budget allows, as long as they can pay us, we're happy if they're happy.
ETA: your fabricator is ripping you off, and I can find Kravat for less than $30 per yard, on the internet.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:41 PM

50,175 posts, read 63,623,198 times
ME TOO!!! I just loved Moving Up. I hope they are making some new ones. I miss Doug. He is irreverent, snotty, and endearing, and he turned out some decent rooms, too. One of my favorite rooms on Trading Spaces was when he did the zebra striped floor.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,719,714 times
I would slap Amy Matthews but not in the face.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,752,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Property Virgins. I think the show is getting better. When it first started the host really annoyed me. Maybe because I have had too many bad experiences with cocky realtors. I hate how she takes them to their ideal neighborhood and gleefully lets them know they can't afford it.
One of the Property Virgins posted on TWOP about her experience- DC area, and the producers just kind of randomly selected the aspirational neighborhood because it was nice and out of the PV's price range. It was Georgetown, and the PV said that even if she could have afforded the area, there was no way in hell she would have bought there because there is no Metro access, and that was a must have when it came to picking out a neighborhood.

She said that Sandra was very nice, but that her actual agent did the real work in getting her home.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:03 PM

5,257 posts, read 6,181,499 times
Huh- wonde rif they keep that segment simply for continuity between old and new shows. Although I do like to see how close some prospective buyers are to the housing costs. I do like that they seem to show the trade-offs most of us make in home purchasing decisions as opposed to House Hunters where everyone either has $1.5 million second home budget or are looking at three identical tract hoems and splitting hairs to find a diference.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:05 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,018,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Not everyone operates on your budget.
Your post is a bit superior, thats not very nice.
I've done whole rooms for clients where the budget was specified for 10K or less, and was able to find high quality furniture, etc.
You're putting us working professionals in a bad light, please dont do that.
Real professionals work within whatever the clients budget allows, as long as they can pay us, we're happy if they're happy.
ETA: your fabricator is ripping you off, and I can find Kravat for less than $30 per yard, on the internet.
I completely agree with you kshe95girl on all points!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,713,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Holmes is a jerk. He acts like he's the only guy who knows anything or ever hit a lick. He must get a sore arm from patting himself on the back.
I get tired of him saying " It's a good thing I am here to fix this "

Why ? They could not call anyone else ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating