Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM

26 posts, read 44,130 times

Advertisements

I love Corian. And I think it's less expensive than granite (but I could be wrong on this). Sadly, I'm still living with laminated countertops (but hope to change that in the next year or so). I'd prefer Corian, but need to learn whether granite is more durable.

In terms of how having Corian might affect the sale of your home, it depends on when you sell. Believe me, in 20 years, people will be saying, "Oh, yuck...stainless steel appliances and granite countertops. That's SO dated."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA1961 View Post
I love Corian. And I think it's less expensive than granite (but I could be wrong on this). Sadly, I'm still living with laminated countertops (but hope to change that in the next year or so). I'd prefer Corian, but need to learn whether granite is more durable.

In terms of how having Corian might affect the sale of your home, it depends on when you sell. Believe me, in 20 years, people will be saying, "Oh, yuck...stainless steel appliances and granite countertops. That's SO dated."
Yes you are wrong. Solid Surface Corian is nearly twice the price of granite.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Wilsonart makes both laminate and solid surfacing. They also make flooring.

I don't have any issue with solid surfacing from a design standpoint, and I'm not seeing any trend of dislike in my clients either. Not as a product. Of course there are some patterns and colors that are a deterrent to a buyer--just like with granite or any other finish.

As far as the value, I think solid surfacing has less return on the investment than granite, for a home environment. As mentioned above, it costs about 2x as much as most granite. But the resale value is about the same, so a homeowner is not getting their investment back. As an aside, in a commercial setting, solid surfacing has more value, because business owners often like solid surfacing's resistance to acid stains that can happen when food is spilled and left on a counter (like champagne corked over a conference table, ketchup spilled on a lunchroom counter, etc).

In this case, I think the ogee edge profile would be a deterrent for many buyers. It is too traditional and outdated. If the edge projects beyond the counter enough, you could call a carpenter out to saw off the ogee part and then polish the exposed edge. Instant update.

Make sure when you sell your house you list the finish as solid surfacing. There are some people (either owners or agents) who try to pawn off solid surfacing as granite. With some patterns it is almost passable, if the buyer isn't familiar with their home building products. But most will recognize it for what it is and will lower their offers if they think you've tried to exaggerate the home's value.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:42 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Yes you are wrong. Solid Surface Corian is nearly twice the price of granite.
Hmm it is? Desert would you be able to explain the correct way to get out scratches in corian and a stainless steel sink?

Old 11-21-2009, 04:39 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Corian may cost twice as much as bottom of the barrel granite but not high grade granite. Blanket statements about Corian being twice the cost of granite are misleading.

Last edited by Cattknap; 11-21-2009 at 05:14 AM..

Old 11-21-2009, 07:04 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
What Edge is "In Style"

Actually, I think the ogee edge is really pretty. Here in Atlanta, most everything is traditional. But I'm curious what edge is now "in style"?

Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Corian may cost twice as much as bottom of the barrel granite but not high grade granite. Blanket statements about Corian being twice the cost of granite are misleading.
That's true too. There are different levels of quality granite. Truthfully though granite is granite is granite. You are paying for how pretty the stone is.

There is even cheap imported granite coming in from China that is selling for $18 SF. I dont know if it is dangerous as everthing else that comes from China, there has not been any studies that I know of saying one way or another.

On average American granite is going for $25 SF for some pretty good stone. Dupont Corian is still going for about $60 SF.

Granite pretty much only comes from 3 places, Brazil, Africa and India. Several other countries including China mine small amounts.

Honestly though, the last time anyone ordered the real expensive granite was back 5 to 6 years ago during the boom times. So I tend to quote numbers that are current. And currently 100% of those doing kitchen renovations now order the basic 10 granite choices at $29 SF.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What Edge is "In Style"

Actually, I think the ogee edge is really pretty. Here in Atlanta, most everything is traditional. But I'm curious what edge is now "in style"?
I never heard of a counter top edge being in or out of style. It's just a detail within a product. But I can tell you the most popular edge design choice based on about the last 2000 kitchens I was involved with. And the winner by a large margin is the bullnose.

Now for those who think what they personally like simply must be what's in style, dont get your panties in a twist. What is in or out or what some one likes or dont like might not be what's driving the consumers choice. Most choices today are based on what is the cheapest. And since the ogee as well as 11 other edge details are an upgrade, most people just feel the standard no upcharge bullnose is just fine.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Hmm it is? Desert would you be able to explain the correct way to get out scratches in corian and a stainless steel sink?
I could but it might be easier to go to the Dupont Corian home page and look for the care and cleaning section where they explain it in great detail. Though solid surface material is food safe I still advise people NOT to cut directly on it with a knife.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Corian was less expensive than granite 10 years ago I think. I never priced it myself by a neighbor use granite and paid more than I did. But like others have said, there are different levels of stone and I think the stuff they are slapping in all the new construction is the cheapest stuff, which is why everyone is getting sick of it and it will be considered a "cheap look" to some people who crave something more unique. It's really kind of silly when you think about it, I mean as long as it's not butt-ugly and does it's job why worry about it? People didn't used to worry about this sort of thing.

It's like cultured marble. It was used everywhere, in every bathroom, because it was practical. It's still practical but many people remember having it in their first apartment or rental houseing and consider it low on the scale of desireability. But true story...I NEVER had a bathroom with cultured marble, they were always laminate or tile and once a bit of blue/yellow cultured onyx. When I remodeled my master bath last month I used a pretty, off white cultured marble and my college aged kids, who've never had it either, think it's the fanciest looking stuff ever. What goes around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating