Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 02:32 PM

47 posts, read 279,110 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find the perfect yellow for my kitchen and I don't know if it exists! In my mind's eye I am seeing a green-ish yellow, not too bright but also not too dark. Not a mustard or anything too golden.

I'm using Benjamin Moore for the whole house, and I thought I had found the right shade "Yellow Finch", it looked soooo good in the store paint chip, but got it home and painted a sample, ugh, waaay brighter yellow than I wanted. Then tried the next chip down which was "Citron", which is the perfect color, but too dark. I want a shade right in between the two and of course that doesn't exist. I asked the paint guy if they could just mix equal parts of both and they said it would be hit or miss for the color. Something about the bases for each color are different, and one has black in it and the other doesn't. I don't know anything about mixing colors - could I add black to the Yellow Finch or add white to the Citron to get the color I want? I'm wondering if I should look at other companies' paint chips and just get them to color-match it? Has anyone done this and does it work well?

If anyone knows about custom paint mixing I would really appreciate the help! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone who knows BM paints? Why can't I find the perfect yellow :(-img_4376.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 06:07 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househuntinggal View Post
I'm wondering if I should look at other companies' paint chips and just get them to color-match it? Has anyone done this and does it work well?
That would be my suggestion. I've done it several times- color is pretty dead on. But don't limit yourself to chips- if you find anything that has "the color", they can match it with the color spec.

Another trick I've used- when matching accent wall color with what will be the primary color for the other walls- half recipes or 3/4 recipes. Something like that may work for you also.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
find another object that has the color you want in it, and ask them to match it. A toy, an article of clothing, etc. The sample you provide needs to be uniform in color (not like a brushstroke in a painting or flower petal, etc).

You may also want to look at BM's Historic Colors or America's Colors, which have more subtle color than their regular color line.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:03 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
check the benjamim moore website. they have a great hands on tool for paint selection.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:35 PM

47 posts, read 246,710 times
I use BM products and would recommend beacon hill damask HC-2. Good luck, love your choice of citron!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:03 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
Here ar the tricks with yellow.

One you find the yellow you like on a strip do one of two things, go back two choices or have the color you wanted mixed at 50%.

However, other things have to be considered. Number one is the exposure of the room. Number two, the other colors in the room. Which in this case are the kitchen cabinets (gorgeous color btw). And the trick is to find a color that will compliment them.

My personal recommendation would be Grasshopper (AF-415). Next in line would be Soleil (AF-330) or Amulet (AF - 365).

ETA: Those are all Benjamin Moore Affinity colors. They are only available in the Aura base, which, I must say, is the best paint on the market (other than Ellen Kennon).

Last edited by pennquaker09; 12-13-2009 at 06:12 AM..

Old 12-14-2009, 10:51 AM

47 posts, read 279,110 times
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I will try getting a sample mixed at 50% and see how that looks. Lets hope this is the one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating