U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2010, 03:09 AM

177 posts, read 881,014 times

Advertisements

hi all

we are considering a side-by-side refrigerator (Kenmore) with the ice maker built into the door. This apparently makes for more room in the freezer itself when compared to other unit where the ice maker sits in the freezer.

Both dispense ice through the door, but the location of the ice maker differs. I've read, with refrigerators with the ice maker built into the door, this can lead to the unit clogging, ice freezing into chunks, etc. That you have to clean out the unit ever few weeks to prevent this

Anyone have the ice maker built into your door... without much problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 04:03 AM

21,624 posts, read 23,783,463 times
Nearly all side-by-side refrigerators have through-the-door water dispensers and ice makers. This feature makes them more expensive and, sadly, also less reliable, since through the door ice makers and water dispensers are the most repair prone parts of any refrigerator.
Refrigerators with icemaker and water dispenser located inside the unit rather than on the door, seems to be less likely to break down prematurely.
Kenmore refrigerators are very good, but I would not be to crazy about the through-the-door ice maker. The one installed in the freezer works just as fine

Last edited by elnina; 01-02-2010 at 04:13 AM..

Old 01-02-2010, 04:14 AM

99,388 posts, read 26,344,394 times
Well Elnina is right about the more goodies the more problems. In a Kenmore or Whirlpool Refrigerator from Sears you'll get the Dole Ice maker. Best on the market for many years and used by most manufacturers. I haven't seen one with the ice maker itself in the door. But, like the last side by side we got from Sears with Ice and water in the door.....more problems. With the ice bucket in the door and ice maker mounted in fridge it requires a photo eye control with two boards $$$$ . If the bucket is in fridge with ice maker that control is not needed ....less probs less $$. Do not buy Energy Star crap. They use sub standard crap parts such as Condensor fan motor to drop wattage. These cheap low wattage fans last no time and cause many headaches. If they have the ice maker and bucket not just dispenser - crusher mechanism in door it may be best. But, all these extras and perks will always cost you more and be more problems down the road.

Last edited by SATX56; 01-02-2010 at 04:41 AM..

Old 01-02-2010, 04:16 PM

Thank you. Here is a pic of the Kenmore we are considering (pardon the improper image rotation). Both the ice maker and dispenser are in the door.

Satx56, this sounds a bit different from the configuration you were describing: dispenser in door and ice maker in freezer.

The 3 arrangements seem to be:

1. Door has dispenser. Ice bucket in the door and ice maker mounted in freezer.
2. Door has dispenser. Ice bucket and ice maker mounted in the door (like my attached pic).
3. Door has no dispenser. Ice bucket and maker mounted in freezer. Probably the least prone to problems.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 AM

99,388 posts, read 26,344,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Thank you. Here is a pic of the Kenmore we are considering (pardon the improper image rotation). Both the ice maker and dispenser are in the door.

Satx56, this sounds a bit different from the configuration you were describing: dispenser in door and ice maker in freezer.

The 3 arrangements seem to be:

1. Door has dispenser. Ice bucket in the door and ice maker mounted in freezer.
2. Door has dispenser. Ice bucket and ice maker mounted in the door (like my attached pic).
3. Door has no dispenser. Ice bucket and maker mounted in freezer. Probably the least prone to problems.
Oh yes, I see!! Not sure if I've seen this but may have. That is better than our current type. The ice makers have a built in shut off when bucket is directly underneath. A trip lever which hangs down into bucket and hits ice when bucket is full!! Better than having the added expense and future problems of two photo eye circuit boards. I would expect this to be less trouble prone than ours. Our only problem with our ice maker has been that the condensor fan quits. It has nothing to do with the ice maker but is to circulate air through the condensor and compressor under refrigerator. The Energy Star was given to this model because the power usage was reduced by using a sub standard motor. It won't start on it's own. Freezer must be at optimum conditions to make ice. The model in your photo will probably be a decent choice!!

Old 01-03-2010, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the follow up!

Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

1 posts
All i can say is we bought a sears kenmore 2-3 months ago and had the repair man here 8 times. They are not happy but are finally going to replace it. We tried to return it in the 30 days for our money back but convinced my 82 year old mother to try and let them fix it, she did the 30 went over now we can't get our money back to buy from some one else. BE WARNED if you do not like it make them take it then do not let them repair it cause they make sure your 30 will run out. Sears screwed us, do not fall for that we only want to help crap. Do your self a favor you can find the exact same refridge from another brand. BEWARE OF SEARS. I AM R, HAINES a very unhappy ex sears customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating