Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times

Advertisements

Desertsun - not everyone can afford a designer kitchen that costs $100,000. That kitchen is perfectly acceptable. I detest multi-height cabinets. The kitchen you described sounds like a busy mess. Everything is neutral and it will look beautiful if it is accessorized properly, which I know our kshegirl will do. So what if it is a tract home - don't be such a snob.

Last edited by Cattknap; 01-04-2010 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:01 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
Clutter on the fridge equals dust magnet. Move that black clock on the fridge instead may work better and free clutter from the counter.

That bose music piece, see if you can install it under the cabinets.

That missing backsplash against the stove can ruin that wall if cooking is done--such as frying, or even steam can discolor that paint.

Tiles on the kitchen can be hard on the feet. A thick area rug can help. Easy to remove also as needed for cleaning.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:05 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Desertsun - not everyone can afford a designer kitchen that costs $100,000. That kitchen is perfectly acceptable. I detest multi-height cabinets. The kitchen you described sounds like a busy mess. Everything is neutral and it will look beautiful if it is accessorized properly, which I know our kshegirl will do. So what if it is a tract home - don't be such a snob.
Wow that is harsh. Lets see how this one plays out.
Oh and out of more then 6000 kitchens, less then 100 exceeded $20,000 and only 2 went over $100,000. No snob here, I promise. I liked your house didn't I?

Old 01-04-2010, 04:25 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Desertsun - do you ever think about the people who read and post here? That many of us might not have as nice a kitchen as the one you so harshly criticized. People who would be thrilled to have a nice kitchen like the one pictured? With a little decorative tweaking and the addition of a backsplash behind the stove, that kitchen is probably is a whole lot nicer than many have. It is a fairly basic kitchen but it is new and clean and attractive and I'll bet you could turn out lovely meals from that kitchen. Why in the world does a kitchen need all those things you mentioned to function and be attractive? Answer: It doesn't. Reread your very critical post - talk about harsh.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:47 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lisa, I do whatever needs to be done to get the job done, LOL......seriously though, this is brand new construction, so this job will be mainly decor, with the exception of the porch.
I'm sorry you dont care for the tile, I like it on the diagonal in small spaces, it visually enlarges the area.....be assured, there will be large area rugs!!!
These pix were taken on my first visit.

That's what I like...a "get r' done" kind of person. What's wrong with the porch?

Tile on an angle is a personal choice. Just not mine. The walls and the grout lines aren't parallel therefore I could never do angled tile.... I know, I'm odd, lol.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your project progress. Are you going to give us tips on where to find the goodies? I can never find a good store for decor.

catt- I am so with you on kitchens. If they are neat, clean, and functional I see no reason to change it. That's why DH and I always do neat clean and inexpensive kitchens. Even at that they are newer than a lot of the kitchens around. It's all about perspective. Our kitchen in TN cost us $5000.00 complete and that was with propane appliances. My friend up there got a new kitchen, her first in 40 years. She was thrilled with tile counters and any cabinets. She was using old shelves for storage. She had no cabinets for 40 years and she survived.

Sorry kshe, didn't mean to get off track but it's nice to know that people have choices and there isn't always a right and wrong. It's about what you like and what you can afford.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:57 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
"rat pack bar"

hahahahahahahahahaha, hilarious and perfect descriptor!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Alright guys, I adore all of you that are arguing, and truly value everything that y'all have to say, please dont!
I come here to post, and enjoy everyone, and to relax....
That being said.......Desert, it is a Pulte, they are slated to build 4k in this development, I wanna get in NOW! Smaller jobs, more clients, I gotta kid getting ready to go to college!
I am going to change all the hardware, have a backsplash installed, going to my fave tile place tomorrow......already tried to upgrade, aint gonna happen, so I am just gonna have to do what I can......
Beretta, that term for that bar instantly popped in my head, LOL!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:32 PM

I found these mirrors for over the chest in dining room, I love both of them, I will let the client pick, either one will make me really happy......these are both moderately priced, so I will have more $$$ for what really matters, window treatments and rugs!!!!!

Sunburst™ Antiqued Gold Wall Mirror - Wall Mirrors - Wall Decor - Home Decor | HomeDecorators.com

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Wall-D...roductID=10627

Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Desertsun - do you ever think about the people who read and post here? That many of us might not have as nice a kitchen as the one you so harshly criticized. People who would be thrilled to have a nice kitchen like the one pictured? With a little decorative tweaking and the addition of a backsplash behind the stove, that kitchen is probably is a whole lot nicer than many have. It is a fairly basic kitchen but it is new and clean and attractive and I'll bet you could turn out lovely meals from that kitchen. Why in the world does a kitchen need all those things you mentioned to function and be attractive? Answer: It doesn't. Reread your very critical post - talk about harsh.
Yours and my personalities obviously clash though we probably like the same things. The thread is about before and afters and design possibilities. You should know me by now. I tell it like it is and sometimes that hurts a feeing or two but everyone who knows me does know that is not my intent. Dont put me down for speaking up. I love people, I love my customers and I love offering help to those who can afford it and those who can not. I am on the little guys side...quite the opposite of snob.

Sure that kitchen is just fine. But a professional like myself is going in to make changes and we all here are picking apart the before pictures. If I said nothing but 10 bad things about the kitchen then I would be a complainer. The fact that I said 5 good things and 5 bad things should place me in the neutral zone just stating facts. Sorry you do not agree.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:37 PM

If y'all think I have not picked this whole thing apart 3 different ways, and with 3 different budgets, well................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating