U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 PM

7 posts, read 12,432 times

Advertisements

Hey all. My wife and I just purchased a cute, 2br bungalow out in Los Angeles built in 1926. We are in the process of doing some fixes to it and it's currently empty and we want to do the major fixes/upgrades before we move in. The house still has a good amount of it's original features like the windows, bathroom (parts of it), and hardwood flooring. The floors are that kind of pine/honey color. The previous owners however added dark carpet in the bedrooms which we just removed. We are now faced with the following dillema.

1. Buy new flooring for the bedrooms ($1350 for floor and labor, 2 day turnaround). This is the quickest but we run the risk when reselling having people comment that there are two types of floor in the house (the planks are the 5" wide, long ones and a darker). If we do this we can move in by the weekend.

2. Use the existing original floor and fix that up ($950 for labor and materials, 4 day turnaround). Downside is now the bedrooms will have the nice, redone original floor but the rest of floor in the house will look older and more used than the bedrooms. It's cheaper but takes more time too.

3. Redo the flooring in the entire house ($1850 for labor and materials, 5 day turnaround). This would be the most consistent but will delay our move by a few more days. On the upside, we would be able to do the entire house before any furniture is moved in.

Thanks. Thoughts??

Last edited by rj1200; 01-04-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
If it's only $1,000 more and 3 days longer, do the entire house. You won't regret your decision.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 AM

1,173 posts, read 3,965,827 times
I have to agree with Hopes, do the enitre house. Eventually the floors in the rest of the house will need to be redone as well and then you will always have the issue that one portion of the floors looks newer than the rest. Why not just start off with a fresh slate in the entire house?

But i'm not completely clear when you say "entire house" you mean add hardwood in the bedrooms and refinish the entire thing right? This I agree with.

If you meant rip out all the hardwood and put down new hardwood laminate in the enitre house then I would have to STRONGLY disagree. That laminate is nice if you don't already have hardwood or if you are talking about a basement or something that CAN'T have hardwood, but I would never rip out or put laminate over hardwood.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 AM

11,877 posts, read 45,676,236 times
Door #3!

As Hopes said- you won't regret it.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:57 AM

338 posts, read 604,255 times
If you can afford it, definitely do the whole house now. Sanding floors is one of the messiest jobs, not to mention the smell of the polyurethane. We recently purchased a home with hardwoods - beautiful but in need of some sanding and poly, and we did them all before we moved in. The house we owned before this one was done while we lived there - what a mess!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:18 AM

1,581 posts, read 4,768,954 times
Also a vote for the whole house. My biggest regret was not doing this when we bought ours....

Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 AM

4,805 posts, read 19,559,583 times
I also agree in redoing the entire house, if you can afford it. $1k isn't much compared to how much increased value and enjoyment you will get from it.

If you can't afford it, do option #2, with the plan to refinish the remainder of the house at a later date, when you have the money. This of course would be a huge hassle since you'd have to move all of your furniture out of the way, but it can be done.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 AM

2,945 posts, read 11,936,013 times
Option #3 - having been there and done that. The floor is critical and you will regret not doing the whole house when given the chance. Enjoy!!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 AM

7 posts, read 12,432 times
Awesome. Thanks for the responses. Yes it would be re-sanding and refinishing the existing hardwood floors, not redo it and put new floor. Also, my wife said last night to just do the whole house

Now next question. Since it's all the same type of floor, is it kosher to make the bedroom floor stains a little darker, maybe a reddish cherry. There will be a lip of some sort to divide the bedrooms with the hallway.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:27 PM

1,581 posts, read 4,768,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj1200 View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the responses. Yes it would be re-sanding and refinishing the existing hardwood floors, not redo it and put new floor. Also, my wife said last night to just do the whole house

Now next question. Since it's all the same type of floor, is it kosher to make the bedroom floor stains a little darker, maybe a reddish cherry. There will be a lip of some sort to divide the bedrooms with the hallway.

Thanks!!!
i think that comes down to personal taste, I wouldn't personally do it though, it will end up looking chopped up. Plus you will probably pay a little more if you start doing different colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating