Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM

135 posts, read 718,961 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,
I am all set to see my new home construction. I am already started on preparing my work list for my new home. Since I travel a lot to india and china, I am planning to buy something when ever I go there.

Question:
How to select the elegant color for kitchen cabinets door hardwares - cabinet knobs.

My kitchen cabinet finishing is Avalon Maple Java Glazed from Aristokraft. I dont know much about Aristokraft, i hope they are good.

cabinet color can be seen here
Maple Avalon cabinet doors from Aristokraft Cabinetry
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Cabinet Hardware Color Selection-avalonmjv_d.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:10 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'd go with something dark as well; anything bright and/or shiny would look garish. Not so dark so you couldn't find the handle, though. Unless you want to have fun with your guests.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
I always like stainless steel for knobs and such

Old 12-15-2008, 04:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I may be the national expert on cabinet issues. Most of you know me so I will skip the qualification part.

It figures...of the 3 dozen or so cabinet lines, Aristocraft may be the one I am least familiar with. Maybe becase there are few outlets and shipping opportunities were very bad where I just moved from.

A competitor of mine carried Aristocraft in her showroom. I always look it over when I stop by to say hello. It is a damn nice product. Nothing extra or nothing less then some of the best stock mass produced cabinet lines. Average warranty, a great selection of colors and wood species, they are among the family of Masterbrand Cabinets. Another great product.

Your color choice maple avalon is pretty dark. Hard to tell if it is more cherryish color or brown color. Maple is a nice hard wood with little grain. In all the lines I carry, maple natural is the most popular by far. We carry a new maple with a cherry like finish like you chose. We call it maple sedona. It looks best with a glossy black granite top. The countertop should have no swirls, no spots, just jet black. Almost black onyx like. You put that counter top with your maple avalon and add some stainess 6" bow handles with stainless appliances and you will knockem dead with that combo.

That set up is the first thing you see when you walk into my showroom and it keeps the customer lingering. You want to hear the ohhs and ahhs I get with that combination. Dont be afraid of that color if your kitchen is on the smaller size.

Would you take a second look at the cherry rouge in Aristocraft? It's real pretty wood. Cherry would cost about 15% more though.

Hey dont forget to get pull out trays rather then those useless half depth shelves.

One more thing. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF PARTICLE BOARD SIDES. Despite what others say, particle board cabinet boxes are far far superior then an all plywood box. The doors and face frame MUST be solild real wood though. When you order particle board/melamine sides, you will order real wood skins for the exposed sides only. Why spend all that money for real plywood when you will only bury it for life? Which by the way a particle board cabinet box will last for life, a real wood plywood box will not. Oh and you can save about 15% off the total price of the kitchen using particle board boxes rather then plywood.

Hope I shed some input for you.....

Old 12-16-2008, 06:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Brushed satin nickle/stainless.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:46 AM

135 posts, read 718,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I may be the national expert on cabinet issues. Most of you know me so I will skip the qualification part.

Hope I shed some input for you.....
Wow,,,thanks for taking so much time give me great ideas.

1. After I read your comments, I beleive Aristokraft is decent brand, so i am happy for it
2. My color selection for countertop is not Black, they had black only on Level 5 selection, I didnt have that much money to upgrade, So i limited my self to Level 3, I selected the CAFE NERO granite , dark shade with color (matching the maple java glaze finish)
3. my kitchen size, I dont know how to explain - may be you can imagine,, walk from entry door, cross the dining & living room, make a right (6 ft space opening) - kitchen..right side 87" total (includes 25 ref space, cabinets) then pantry storage with door open out and close then 138" cabinet space ( includes cabinets, all built in appliances, builtin range, microwave over the oven, vent hood over the range) , then 4 ft space walk to break fast room, 54"-55"-55"
_
\
|
where sink and everything and come back to 6ft space opening to the refregirator , Island size is 42 X 36
cabinets are 42" height?? i think.
Kitchen cabinets - 2 cabinets with mirror doors

Thanks for suggesstions regarding the hardwares -

Old 12-18-2008, 05:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomebuyer80 View Post
Wow,,,thanks for taking so much time give me great ideas.

1. After I read your comments, I beleive Aristokraft is decent brand, so i am happy for it
2. My color selection for countertop is not Black, they had black only on Level 5 selection, I didnt have that much money to upgrade, So i limited my self to Level 3, I selected the CAFE NERO granite , dark shade with color (matching the maple java glaze finish)
3. my kitchen size, I dont know how to explain - may be you can imagine,, walk from entry door, cross the dining & living room, make a right (6 ft space opening) - kitchen..right side 87" total (includes 25 ref space, cabinets) then pantry storage with door open out and close then 138" cabinet space ( includes cabinets, all built in appliances, builtin range, microwave over the oven, vent hood over the range) , then 4 ft space walk to break fast room, 54"-55"-55"
_
\
|
where sink and everything and come back to 6ft space opening to the refregirator , Island size is 42 X 36
cabinets are 42" height?? i think.
Kitchen cabinets - 2 cabinets with mirror doors

Thanks for suggesstions regarding the hardwares -
Im thinking your cafe nero color CTs are not quite a great color combo with the mocha like cabinet color but not too bad at all. More important is if YOU like it.

Your right, it is hard to picture your description. But you do have a quality product in Arisocrat. Its not my brand but I do give it high praises.

Enjoy your new kitchen !!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:07 PM

6 posts, read 33,246 times
Stainless steel cabinet handles is all right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating