U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2007, 02:05 AM

550 posts, read 1,920,005 times
Default Painting...Does blue and yellow go?

My carpet is a burbur (sp) blue carpet. The blue is a darker blue. Almost like the darker shade of blue in the columns of the posts. I have the blue carpet up the stairs and down the upstairs hall. I am thinking of painting the upstairs hall a very light yellow.

What do you think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 02:22 AM

14,334 posts, read 14,724,479 times
Do you have any pictures? If the yellow is pale/ neutral it should look fine. There are so many different hues! I am trying to paint the foyer (other than bland white) and have no clue!!

sunny

Old 05-26-2007, 04:00 AM

153 posts, read 468,780 times
A light yellow should contrast nicely. Check out a color wheel when you want to be sure. There isn't much to them but they're a lot of help especially when deciding on what shade to use.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:29 PM

1,172 posts, read 4,197,313 times
Definitely use a color wheel. It's essential when you're matching complementary colors because if you don't get it just right, they won't go together.

I suggest getting a few of the blue fibers from the carpet, like a few pieces of pile snipped from an edge you can't see, and taking them with you to the paint store so they can electronically match the carpet. Once they do that the computer will automatically find the exact shade of yellow that will work.

I've painted a few of my rooms using complementary colors and the painters thought I was nuts until they saw how it all came together in the end. The result is bold but works.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:42 PM

18,733 posts, read 20,510,302 times
We used that combination in a bedroom and it looked great!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:54 PM

550 posts, read 1,920,005 times
Wow, I don't go on here for a whole day and I get behind on all the gossip! Now I am suppose to be making supper so have to make this quick.
I don't have pictures of the carpet but could try downloading some. Color wheels confuse me! Good idea Jason about taking a piece in. Tek. I don't suppose you have a picture do you?
Thanks ya all!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 PM

1,172 posts, read 4,197,313 times
You don't want a picture of the carpet, you want a remnant or a few fibers from it. Getting a digital picture to show exactly true depends on a lot of factors. In any evernt, the paint store won't want it. They can use the fiber itself without a problem.

Color wheels shouldn't be that confusing and if you take it to the paint shop they'll have one. Really, they're the people who can help you most. Again, it's essential to get the hue right for it to work.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:24 PM

5,363 posts, read 8,241,643 times
Yellow can be a difficult color to get to work right for me. Anything too lemony is out. But when I find the perfect hue on a color card I take it one shade lighter. It really looks much different on a wall as opposed to a small one inch square. But then that could be just me. Many times I just close my eyes and imagine how colors will look together. I say 'many times' because I used to paint other peoples houses - inside and out - and also worked in a paint store. Lots of solid advice posted above too. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2007, 11:13 AM

139 posts, read 331,872 times
To create a color story: If there is one place in the blue room where you can stand and view more than one room at a time, hold up a color chip and compare at arms length with the colors you see. The wall color of the blue carpeted rooms wasn't mentioned but if they are an antique or Navaho white then they have some yellow tinting in them. The problem with deciding color at the store vs. home is that the lighting (usually florescent) is vastly different than that at home.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:58 AM

4,611 posts, read 7,611,106 times
I think blue and yellow go nicely together... a little French looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating