U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 01:50 PM

376 posts, read 3,451,559 times

Advertisements

Finishing our basement and we're leaning towards laminate flooring.
It's a walk out basement so the flooring will be seeing some good traffic
with the young kids running in and out from the backyard.

Thoughts on laminate flooring for the basement?
Anyone have it and regret it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 11:19 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,710,225 times
Traffic, it'd handle, but I'm more worried about the humidity. Moisture and laminate flooring substrates don't mix.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,543,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Finishing our basement and we're leaning towards laminate flooring.
It's a walk out basement so the flooring will be seeing some good traffic
with the young kids running in and out from the backyard.

Thoughts on laminate flooring for the basement?
Anyone have it and regret it?

Thanks
I just started finishing our basement. It's not a walk-out, just a regular old basement. I picked up 30-year Dupont Maple Laminate - on sale - at Home Depot for 41 cents per sf. I'm pretty stoked.

Your problem isn't going to be traffic. You can always throw down a rug or mat in the high traffic areas - and you probably should. You can also throw down area rugs to "warm it up" if you wish.

Just make sure you have ALL moisture problems taken care of. That is an absolute must!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 AM

376 posts, read 3,451,559 times
Thanks for replies!!

Omaha -

I take it you haven't started to lay down the laminate yet?
I'm wondering how easy/difficult it is to install compared to hardwood floor.
I just installed some HD flooring and that was a mother !@#$% to do.

Any idea if laminate would be easier to install?

Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,543,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Thanks for replies!!

Omaha -

I take it you haven't started to lay down the laminate yet?
I'm wondering how easy/difficult it is to install compared to hardwood floor.
I just installed some HD flooring and that was a mother !@#$% to do.

Any idea if laminate would be easier to install?
Each brand of laminate has its own unique patent, regarding how it interlocks. This DuPont stuff is going to be a little different from other laminates I've installed, in that each piece has to be started at a 45-degree angle. It then basically pulls itself together and snaps in, as you lower the "new" edge.

I don't really have a preference regarding laminate versus hardwood flooring - mostly because you just want one or the other in certain applications, and the difficulty of installation is kind of irrelevant.

As with most projects, having the right tools is priceless. I've done enough projects the extremely hard way, and finally just admitted that I needed to buy the right tools first, then use them properly.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,215,956 times
I googled and found this Laminate Basement Flooring Installation | Basement Flooring Guide

good luck on your project.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,551 times
We used Allure flooring in our kitchen and everyone always comments on how nice it looks. We are now deciding to use it in our basement because it is easy to clean, easy to install and is water and moisture resistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating