U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,063,232 times

Advertisements

I have a large kitchen window that look out to the backyard 96"X70". It currently has just a single pane paneled window but I know it would look much better with clear glass block windows. This would provide more security and more efficient. But which would be best the glass blocks or the poly blocks and what is the cost difference between the two. Anyone out there with some advise and experience with them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 AM

12,498 posts, read 48,501,756 times
You have a single pane picture window that you want to replace with glass block?
(leave the glass block for the bathroom)

Or, are you saying you have a fixed picture window that doesn't have mullions?
(mullions are the small dividers that break a large window into small individual panes)

Old 01-25-2010, 11:43 AM

10,425 posts, read 44,545,470 times
I agree with K'ledge, save the glass blocks for the bathroom and I might also add....commercial bathroom. As a designer I see no place for glass blocks in residential interiors.

That is quite a large window for a single pane. Wow!!! I would replace it but not with ugly glass blocks.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You have a single pane picture window that you want to replace with glass block?
(leave the glass block for the bathroom)

Or, are you saying you have a fixed picture window that doesn't have mullions?
(mullions are the small dividers that break a large window into small individual panes)
Yes it is mullions; didn't know the name for it. OK I'll take you guys advice for the large windows. I would hate to put them in and later regret that I did. But I also have side light windows (if that is the name for them) on both sides of the entry door and in the bathroom on either side of the garden tub. I was looking to put glass blocks there also. These window are about 7'x1' and I thought the glass blocks would serve more as a security benefit in these areas. What about these areas?

Old 01-25-2010, 01:49 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,545,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Yes it is mullions; didn't know the name for it. OK I'll take you guys advice for the large windows. I would hate to put them in and later regret that I did. But I also have side light windows (if that is the name for them) on both sides of the entry door and in the bathroom on either side of the garden tub. I was looking to put glass blocks there also. These window are about 7'x1' and I thought the glass blocks would serve more as a security benefit in these areas. What about these areas?
Why are you so worried about security? That is not a comforting worry. Dont be so concerned about some one getting through a window. Most crooks know far easier ways then use an obvious entry way. And if they were going to break glass they would break an entry window, not a fixed lite window as you describe.

I would be more accepting of glass blocks on each side of your garden tub as you describe but if it's only 12" wide then just do a fixed side lite window. It lets light in and after the frame you only yield about 9" of glass anyway. Not many thieves can squeeze through that. Why not get side lites with some color rather then clear glass? Look at stained glass options..

Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Why are you so worried about security? That is not a comforting worry. Dont be so concerned about some one getting through a window. Most crooks know far easier ways then use an obvious entry way. And if they were going to break glass they would break an entry window, not a fixed lite window as you describe.

I would be more accepting of glass blocks on each side of your garden tub as you describe but if it's only 12" wide then just do a fixed side lite window. It lets light in and after the frame you only yield about 9" of glass anyway. Not many thieves can squeeze through that. Why not get side lites with some color rather then clear glass? Look at stained glass options..
Hmmm

Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 AM

12,498 posts, read 48,501,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
But I also have side light windows (if that is the name for them) on both sides of the entry door and in the bathroom on either side of the garden tub. I was looking to put glass blocks there also. These window are about 7'x1' and I thought the glass blocks would serve more as a security benefit in these areas. What about these areas?
First- how about some pic's.

Glass block is generally not regarded as an extra means of security. It's more a decorative/privacy type product.

Original type glass block (pittsburgh/corning) was heavy glass blocks mortared together to make walls, windows, etc. Newer, lighter versions are now available. They are primarily plastic, some are still glass, but instead of mortar they use acrylic caulk to bond them together.
There are several companies across the country that manufacture "glass block windows"- this are standard size "panels" that will replace original sashes. Some however, require the total removal of the existing window unit to install the new block unit.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
First- how about some pic's.

Glass block is generally not regarded as an extra means of security. It's more a decorative/privacy type product.

Original type glass block (pittsburgh/corning) was heavy glass blocks mortared together to make walls, windows, etc. Newer, lighter versions are now available. They are primarily plastic, some are still glass, but instead of mortar they use acrylic caulk to bond them together.
There are several companies across the country that manufacture "glass block windows"- this are standard size "panels" that will replace original sashes. Some however, require the total removal of the existing window unit to install the new block unit.
Sorry; no pics but I will go with you all advice with the windows. A wise seek wise advise but a fool will not. Thxs all for you help

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,772,060 times
That sounds like a nice window. But why glass blocks? Just get a large solid plate of glass.

If you're concerned about safety, look at products like this:
Armor GlassĀ® International, Inc. - Home

I saw this stuff on the Discovery channel awhile back. But it's now available to homeowners. Maybe someone on the forum has experience with this and can comment. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
That sounds like a nice window. But why glass blocks? Just get a large solid plate of glass.

If you're concerned about safety, look at products like this:
Armor GlassĀ® International, Inc. - Home

I saw this stuff on the Discovery channel awhile back. But it's now available to homeowners. Maybe someone on the forum has experience with this and can comment. Good luck!
Thxs for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating