Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:30 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Moving forward on the kitchen. All the cabinets are in. The glass shop shorted me one piece so that's why the one door is missing. Most cabinet manufacturers do not sell cabinets with glass already installed in the doors. We order the doors CFG (cut for glass). The options are just the frame which is stiles (sides) and rails (tops and bottoms) or...you can order grills or mullions some people call them as seen here. Just as in windows, they are called by lites. The spelling is correct. These are 8 lite doors. Honestly I don't know why because it is one pane of glass with the mullion over it.
The customer can tell us to get clear glass which we do and then install it, or they can take the doors to the glass shop and order any of the thousands of choices of colors or leaded glass or whatever. A simple bead of translucent or clear 100% silicone caulk on the perimeter holds the glass in it's groove.
Notice the matching scalloped valance over the window and over the range. Above the sink the valance conceals a nice recessed light on a dimmer. Over the range the valance conceals a $659 Broan hood vent.

Here is the range hood. If I can exaggerate, it can suck the food off the stove and toss it outside where the vent exhausts outside. And the best part is it makes almost no sound. Nothing is more annoying then a hood vent that sounds like a diesel truck. As you can see we did not put a whole cabinet here. We ordered just the face frame. We will paint the interior and add some shelves for her later.

Also notice another goody under the hood. The pot filler. Here you can fill your big heavy spaghetti pot by placing the pot on the stove top and just pulling the fresh water pot filler out and fill your pot. No carrying heavy pots filled with water anymore. No it is not crooked. This is the proper mounting method. This faucet cost $289.00 plus labor.

Quote:
You have a good point there. The idea is to place a light empty pot on the stove top and fill it there so one does not have to carry a pot full of water to the stove. Yea you're right, one still has to carry the heavy full pot back to the sink to drain and empty.
You know how it is though. Gimmicks for those who have everything. I guess this gimmick will not be perfect until there is a drain on top of the stove.

Well, the pot filler "gimmick" as you put it, has been around for over a decade or more. It's really more of a restaurant inspiration rather than a home cook necessity.
But, I do think that the drain part though, is certainly more important than not.
The issue isn't really the carrying of the water in the pot, it really IS the carrying of the boiling hot scalding water in the pot back to the sink....
There are kitchens where the drain is next to but not on top of the stove by the way.
(Kinda hard to plumb through a cook top ya know!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Well, the pot filler "gimmick" as you put it, has been around for over a decade or more. It's really more of a restaurant inspiration rather than a home cook necessity.
But, I do think that the drain part though, is certainly more important than not.
The issue isn't really the carrying of the water in the pot, it really IS the carrying of the boiling hot scalding water in the pot back to the sink....
There are kitchens where the drain is next to but not on top of the stove by the way.
(Kinda hard to plumb through a cook top ya know!)
Good point. You think like me. I suspect you are a Capricorn. We are very logical people. At times it is a burden though...

Some top secret information here: This is the first pot filler anyone has ever requested with me in more then 6000 kitchens. The lady bought the faucet, the Plumber installed it, and I just watched and took the picture.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I had the same thought. I could care less about carrying cold water across the room. It's the hot water that worries me!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:59 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,328 times
Quote:
Oh now I think I know what you mean. Let me try this:

There are 2 kinds of cabinets.
Frameless and framed These are framed. On framed you will almost always have a center stile between the doors. In the case of this pantry and most of the base cabinets we ordered with no center stile. This is called bi-parting doors or some people call them butt doors. This means the doors butt together and when you open them there is no center stile which divides and cuts off the wide access.

What you notice was the doors do not and can not touch. I adjust them to about 1/8". People always complain about this. The logical answer is you wanted the wide access and this is the nature of the beast. The other logical answer is if I make those doors touch then they will rub when closing them. You simply must have a gap there.
I see. I must have frameless, then, and I'm glad I do. I don't have a center "stile" but when they close they just match up perfectly and there is no gap. Thanks for the education.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:07 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Thanks for the pictures. I'll be doing the same thing these homeowners are doing later this year. But have to get to a cabinet shop in San Antoni sometime to get something for the bathroom which I'm doing first. If you know any stores in particular I should go check out, please PM. Much appreciated!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Thanks for the pictures. I'll be doing the same thing these homeowners are doing later this year. But have to get to a cabinet shop in San Antoni sometime to get something for the bathroom which I'm doing first. If you know any stores in particular I should go check out, please PM. Much appreciated!
Scuba PADI how far is Dallas? Sorry I am a transplanted Texan but don't know how far you are from there. If you can get to Dallas it would be worth your while. Go here: Welcome To secondsandsurplus.com

Notice the magic words that I always harp on here. Click on Kitchens. Look at those wonderful numbers that say 45 - 65% off list price. I know the kitchen showroom manager there and know their products. Just imagine buying $10,000 worth of cabinets for $4500. Or one can go to the big orange who only wants your little green and pay the full list price of $10,000.

Buy smart !!!! and good luck and thanks for following my thread.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 PM

I'm going to finish up the kitchen here then move on to the money part. All those msgs to me asking.......I promise I will get to it. Be patient. Don't you want to see the finish product before knowing what it cost?

I will start the TV entertainment center and the dry bar later or tomorrow.

First let me start with something different that I do. I am sure most of you who have a cook top have false drawer fronts under it, just like your sink base. What a waste of precious space. Today's cooktops are quite shallow meaning you can get a full drawer under it. And what do you usually put under the cooktop behind those doors? Pots and pans right? Lets instead put a big 3 drawer base under the cooktop. The deep drawers can hold and organize the pots and pans and the top drawer holds additional utensils.

I am asked often about heat. No there is none. Heat not only rises but all cooktops come with a heat shield under them. You can cook up a storm and feel the bottom of the cook top and it is not even warm. So don't worry. I do tell people not to put dish cloths and such.
And just an overall long shot. It's too big to get the whole kitchen in one photo.

This shot is from the living room looking into the kitchen over the peninsula. We are basically complete.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:40 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
It's all just gorgeous, desertsun. Thanks so much for all your work in teaching.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Scuba PADI how far is Dallas? Sorry I am a transplanted Texan but don't know how far you are from there. If you can get to Dallas it would be worth your while. Go here: Welcome To secondsandsurplus.com

Notice the magic words that I always harp on here. Click on Kitchens. Look at those wonderful numbers that say 45 - 65% off list price. I know the kitchen showroom manager there and know their products. Just imagine buying $10,000 worth of cabinets for $4500. Or one can go to the big orange who only wants your little green and pay the full list price of $10,000.

Buy smart !!!! and good luck and thanks for following my thread.
Dallas is about an hour away by air, so I'm guessing about 5 hours by road. Think Houston is a bit closer at 3-4 hours. But San Antonio has about a million and a half people so there should be something local. I've seen a few places on my way to the stone shops, but they're not open on Saturday and that's been the only time I've been able to get out recently.

Good to know from the other thread that average installation may run in the $400 neighborhood. To me that's worth it. Not trying to pinch pennies, just pay for what's reasonable. Because of a possible job move in 2011 time will become more important when I'm doing the kitchen.

I like how the range in the picture doesn't occupy a ton of space in the cabinet. The one I have now (~2002 and not a high end one) takes way too much space down there, and its giant vent mechanism and ducting doesn't help any. I'm hoping to build ductwork into the wall and down underneath the cabinets to access the vent line in the foundation when I remodel.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Dallas is about an hour away by air, so I'm guessing about 5 hours by road. Think Houston is a bit closer at 3-4 hours. But San Antonio has about a million and a half people so there should be something local. I've seen a few places on my way to the stone shops, but they're not open on Saturday and that's been the only time I've been able to get out recently.

Good to know from the other thread that average installation may run in the $400 neighborhood. To me that's worth it. Not trying to pinch pennies, just pay for what's reasonable. Because of a possible job move in 2011 time will become more important when I'm doing the kitchen.

I like how the range in the picture doesn't occupy a ton of space in the cabinet. The one I have now (~2002 and not a high end one) takes way too much space down there, and its giant vent mechanism and ducting doesn't help any. I'm hoping to build ductwork into the wall and down underneath the cabinets to access the vent line in the foundation when I remodel.
Are you talking about doing a down draft under your range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating