Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:37 PM

109 posts, read 658,467 times

Advertisements

I bought a sofa set yesterday and did not realize the seller is a smoker (has the set in a storage unit) and now my whole family room reeks of cigarette smell? Any tips or tricks to get rid of the smell that actually works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
If the furnture has cigarette smell is to rent a oxone machine and be abesent from the house when on. It will get rid of old cooking and other smeels also at the same time.You proably wouldn't beleive the difference.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Where can I rent one of these machines? I have cats and fish tanks, so would they be safe? How long do I need to leave the house for?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,892 times
Fabreze really works, that machine will remove the smell form the room, but the couch still reaks. remove cushions from couch, remove cover form cushions, gentle wash if posible, spray foam, spray all sides of couch.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:43 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,103 times
Febreeze works ok, but if it doesn't handle the job well enough, there's a product I found called Vamoose. I got it online, I don't know if you could find it in a store anywhere or not.
My husband sits in his den all day long smoking like a chimney. When the heat kicked on last fall the smell in that room made me absolutely gag. I decided to spray everything in the room with the Vamoose and shut the door. A few hours later the room smelled fine, and although the smoky smell is building up, it's still not too bad.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:14 PM

I don't have time to wait for shipping but the idea of Vamoose is great. I have guest coming tomorrow night so I need a quick fix! I tried drenching it in scented braking soda (the kind you sprinkle on the carpet and then vacuum up), and I've "Fabrezed" it 3 times, still no luck. Any other ideas?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBettyCrocker View Post
I don't have time to wait for shipping but the idea of Vamoose is great. I have guest coming tomorrow night so I need a quick fix! I tried drenching it in scented braking soda (the kind you sprinkle on the carpet and then vacuum up), and I've "Fabrezed" it 3 times, still no luck. Any other ideas?
Can you stick it outside for awhile? In direct sunlight so that the sun will kill some of the bacteria that causes the big stink and it will air out a bit. This has worked for me alot with musty vintage clothes and blankets. Leave it out there during the day if you can.

Not sure about the next step . . . remove and wash any parts and steam clean the rest. Spray with spray Lysol. If you need to mask odors, stick a dryer sheet in the cushions--just a temporary fix. You may need to get it professionally cleaned -- try those services that specializing in clean-up after a fire. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Cant really move all my furniture outside (its a 3 piece set) I washed the cushion covers, I also bought some Ozium in hopes that helps. It's doing wonders for the litterbox area!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM

Just wanted to update, Ozium worked AMAZING!!! I found it in the auto section at a local hardware store. It has a nice smell but its not perfumey.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
Just be careful, FBC. This is leather, right? The sofa you showed in another thread? You didn't mention that above and leather needs special treatment. I'm glad your Ozium worked, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating