Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,974 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm in the process of purchasing a new home and would love any reccomendations on a paint color. We would like to paint the dining room and living area. Currently the dining room has a chair rail with 2 colors - a yellowish color and a mint green color. I dont really mind the yellowish cream color and think we should leave that since the foyer and whole upstairs is that color and we're trying to just have the 2 rooms painted for now. So, that's where I am coming into trouble.....I feel like whatever color I pick for the living room would need to go with that yellowish color. Attached are pics....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Paint color reccomendation?-dining-room.jpg   Paint color reccomendation?-living-room-1.jpg   Paint color reccomendation?-living-room-2.jpg   Paint color reccomendation?-foyer.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:46 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
you don't mention anything regarding your furnishings. I would need to see something else to suggest a color. I agree that the creamy color is quite nice. most anything will go with it, so look to your furniture, accents etc. for some ideas.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,149,681 times
If the previous owners left paint cans, head to the paint store and find the color strip. Maybe pick something darker from that same strip.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:25 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danistew View Post
Hi, I'm in the process of purchasing a new home and would love any reccomendations on a paint color. We would like to paint the dining room and living area. Currently the dining room has a chair rail with 2 colors - a yellowish color and a mint green color. I dont really mind the yellowish cream color and think we should leave that since the foyer and whole upstairs is that color and we're trying to just have the 2 rooms painted for now. So, that's where I am coming into trouble.....I feel like whatever color I pick for the living room would need to go with that yellowish color. Attached are pics....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!
Check out a color by Behr - Restful 400-F. Don't look at it online; it looks nothing like that in real life. Go to Home Depot and pick up a chip. It's a soothing, medium dark sage green. It should go well with the cream color.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
There are plenty of colors that can nicely blend, compliment, or contrast the hallway. No need to match it perfectly.

We need more information to give any specific color advice. We know nothing about the furniture and rug choices you've already purchased.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
If the previous owners left paint cans, head to the paint store and find the color strip. Maybe pick something darker from that same strip.
This sounds like a great idea!

I like the yellow, looks like a color I just used in my new house. I went with a darker "sandy yellow" and also a rusty orange to go with it in different places in the house. Anything but that green would look nice with it I tend to like warm, spicy colors, but I read that blues also go with yellow because they're more complimentary. Think about your personal "style" and what colors you tend to like and then look to your furnishings etc. as others mentioned. I'm sure you'll find just the thing! It's actually helpful I think to have that yellow to direct your search and narrow things down a bit. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating