Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,104,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I hope you are NOT kidding!!!!! Let me know how that goes!
Only if I want to be strung up by my fingernails.

Our kitchen is at the back of the house, near the detached garage. The ~point~ of the remodel is to a) give me a nice warm covered space in which to unload groceries and b) create a more welcoming entryway at the back of the house. For some reason none of our friends like to use our formal front entry...it's weird.

So add to my dream-kitchen list: no immediate back-door entry where people come in and leave their muddy boots on my floor! Sometimes, it's the little things.

My dream vent-hood came yesterday. Thank-you Brown Santa!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 AM

18,448 posts, read 31,584,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post
a chef ready to take my order and a maid ready to clean it all up

now this is what I am talking about !!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,713,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
now this is what I am talking about !!

Oh no....I couldn't live like this. I LOVE to cook...hate to clean up the mess, but that's why you need a kitchen that's easy to clean and well organized. LOL..... I would hate to have someone cooking for me, that would be taking 90% of the pleasure out of a meal for me!!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,242,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh no....I couldn't live like this. I LOVE to cook...hate to clean up the mess, but that's why you need a kitchen that's easy to clean and well organized. LOL..... I would hate to have someone cooking for me, that would be taking 90% of the pleasure out of a meal for me!!
I agree; the boyfriend and I actually bicker over who GETS to cook dinner. We both love to cook and have very different styles but we love each other's cooking.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:35 PM

314 posts, read 1,181,345 times
Give me lots of beveled glass windows that look out onto a beautiful garden area. Marble work space, old gas stove from the 30's, antique table and chairs, a fireplace. Tired of seeing "cookie cutter" kitchens.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,379,272 times
What makes a dream kitchen? In this economy----FOOD!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:13 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,379,272 times
Seriously, we are house hunting, found a nice house, but the kitchen is simply unacceptable. Its a huge home, about 3800 sq ft, and the kitchen is tiny, I've had apt kitchens larger. It looks like its been recently upgraded, with granite countertops and ceramic tile floors, but the cabinets are just the 36 inch tall, and there's absolutely no storage--no pantry, very little cabinet space, very little prep area. We think from the way its laid out the former owners probably had one of those cabinets/pantry, they probably took it with them, they should have left it.

Well, the house is listed for 275K in a neighborhoold where homes go for 500-700K+, its in excellent condition, new roof, excellent neighborhood, schools, etc. We were thinking of perhaps buying it and remodeling the kitchen, there's plenty of room to expand, but I don't know if we want to start off with a remodeling project. Unless upgraded, we start off with a negative equity, simply because we couldn't sell it. Its not the market value, its the marketability, many buyers don't get that distinction.

I find it incredible they build such a huge house with such a tiny kitchen. It was built in the late 60's, that was the era of "modern woman" she was going to be in the boardroom, not the kitchen, so she didn't need a huge, eat-in kitchen. Ok, many homes of this era has small kitchens, but this one is ridiculous, an airplane galley would be about as servicable

Kitchens and baths make or break a house. On the other hand, we bought our first house needing some updating, but not major remodeling (ie, tearing out walls, etc) We paid 80K, houses in that area were going for 120K, the owners just wanted out, we did a lot of fixing up, carpet, paint, wallpaper,new appliances, alltogether I think we spent about 10K on upgrades. We put 20K down, got a 15 year mortgage, and paid the rest off in double payments, paid it off in 7 years. We could sell it now for 300K, but prefer to keep it as a "safe harbor" a place we own and can always come back to. Right now its rented to a school principal and his teacher wife, they love it for their meetings, etc---it has a huge living room and back yard. I consider it a gem in our portfolio, we will always have a place we can call ours!

Old 03-07-2010, 03:14 PM

14 posts, read 24,674 times
first, a kitchen island for the stove and some hanging tools above it

then one refrigerator filled with root beer, and a freeer with ben&jerrys ice cream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating