Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 AM

15 posts, read 68,227 times

Advertisements

I have been renovating my 10x10 kitchen to be more 'cook friendly'. The previous contertops were granite and I just didn't like them. Now I'm thinking of 4" t&g maple flooring with a food safe finish for teh countertops. I'm not looking to cut on them like a butcher block. I'm picking up the wood tomorrow and if anyone has done this before I'd love to know how it worked out. Or, if anyone wants to see a picture I will post when finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 12:25 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,589,806 times
You are already picking up the wood so why ask? Isn't it too late when people here are about to tell you what a bad move that is?

Wood is the most unsanitary product that one can use on a counter top. It has zero resistance to heat like hot pots. You want to do T&G which means you will have lots of seams for food to get caught and grow mold as well as germs. Wood oxidizes over time which means it will change color from the color you picked. Wood expands and contracts based upon moisture content. And where are you going to find more water then on a counter top. Just think of slobs washing hands and leaving water splatter all over.

You already said you would not cut on it. Isn't that what countertops are for? Even if you manage to get by, future buyers for your home will run for the hills.

I will cut some slack for butcher block tops though they only look good for just an island and not the whole kitchen. But flooring for a counter top ?!?!?!?!?!?!

There are many more bad things about wood tops, especially flooring for tops. I want to leave you with this. What in hell are you going to do with the front edge? There is nothing you can do. Trust me, don't even research it because there are no answers.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 PM

11,120 posts, read 10,672,022 times
Err, I think desertsun covered it. This is a seriously bad idea, for so many reasons. Sanitary, aesthetics, all the reasons DS posted.

They make counter-tops for a reason. Use the right product and save yourself some hassle.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,873,673 times
Floor strips are made out of flat-cut strips of wood, usually about 3" wide. This type of cut is susceptible to cupping, warping and wracking.

Butcher block tops are cut on the endgrain and are usually about 1/2" wide, which significantly reduces the amount of distortion caused by environmental changes (dryness and humidity) and use (washing).

Even if you aren't looking to cut on them, you will still have to deal with this.

Good luck with the maple counters.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:10 PM

15 posts, read 68,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You are already picking up the wood so why ask? Isn't it too late when people here are about to tell you what a bad move that is?

Wood is the most unsanitary product that one can use on a counter top. It has zero resistance to heat like hot pots. You want to do T&G which means you will have lots of seams for food to get caught and grow mold as well as germs. Wood oxidizes over time which means it will change color from the color you picked. Wood expands and contracts based upon moisture content. And where are you going to find more water then on a counter top. Just think of slobs washing hands and leaving water splatter all over.

You already said you would not cut on it. Isn't that what countertops are for? Even if you manage to get by, future buyers for your home will run for the hills.

I will cut some slack for butcher block tops though they only look good for just an island and not the whole kitchen. But flooring for a counter top ?!?!?!?!?!?!

There are many more bad things about wood tops, especially flooring for tops. I want to leave you with this. What in hell are you going to do with the front edge? There is nothing you can do. Trust me, don't even research it because there are no answers.
I wasn't asking for permission, I asked if anyone had ever done it before... (for a long-winded type writer your comprehension is kind of lacking.)

I did install the maple counters and have started sealing them with Waterlox. I even did an undermount sink. For the edges I routered it with a 1/4 round over. Wood has even tested to be more sanitary than other surfaces because the tanin in the wood killls bacteria.

Wood cutting boards, salad bowls and wood tables have been around longer than formica.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,589,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodet View Post
I wasn't asking for permission, I asked if anyone had ever done it before... (for a long-winded type writer your comprehension is kind of lacking.)

I did install the maple counters and have started sealing them with Waterlox. I even did an undermount sink. For the edges I routered it with a 1/4 round over. Wood has even tested to be more sanitary than other surfaces because the tanin in the wood killls bacteria.

Wood cutting boards, salad bowls and wood tables have been around longer than formica.
Good luck with that disaster. When your kids get sick come on back and ask us why. If this is how you thank people for their advice then don't ask

Old 03-12-2010, 09:03 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times
well my guess its it can be just has sanitray as butcher block if the thick old time floor that is glue and treated the same.Tile grout is very aborant itself so it just depoends on that treatent it would seem. Bitcher block center work space tops are getting popular again from what i have seen at a friends cabinet shop lately.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:32 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,704,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodet View Post

Hey, what have you got to lose, right? I'm not sure I would have used it around the sink area, but you'll never know how it's going to last unless you try it. As for heat resistance, I'm sure you could use trivets or ceramic tile "pads". As for cutting on it.....well, that's what cutting boards are for. Most countertop materials recommend that you do NOT cut directly on the surface. If it won't damage the surface, it WILL damage your knife......not to mention what getting crap on grout lines does to the grout. Let us know how it turns out. It's great to see someone doing something different!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:36 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,362,765 times
I hope you saved the granite.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:38 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,965,233 times
Pics of your installation?

The biggest concern would be the T&G joints not being tight enough. If you glued the seams, then I think you'll be fine. Out of the ordinary? Yes, but that's not too different from folks doing bamboo countertops or DIY glass/concrete either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating