Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 PM

309 posts, read 826,927 times

Advertisements

Looking for direction on hiring a professional for custom window treatments. I have never used a design service before so I'm at a loss as to what is reasonable and what I should expect from the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 05:05 PM

645 posts, read 1,962,188 times
I bought custom blinds and shutters from Lowe's and I'm happy. Originally I had planned to hire an interior decorator exclusively for window treatments. However, she charged $100 an hour and custom curtains for 2 windows were $1,000. She only lasted for about 15 minutes.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,872,491 times
They should be able to tell you the difference between the different 'levels' of quality in their products, and they should be able to tell you what hardware is suitable or not suitable for your particular windows.

They should be able to advise you what kind of window treatments will achieve your goal. For example you may want the room to appear brighter or more sunlit. Or you may have mismatched windows and want to make them appear more uniform. Or maybe you want privacy without sacrificing daylight. Et cetera. They should be able to tell you what kinds of treatments will achieve this best.

You may want to do some research of your own about these things, but they should not expect you to do this homework for them. I.e., you shouldn't have to say "I want to do this, will this product work?" and play a game of twenty questions, getting yes/no answers until you derive the best solution for yourself. Instead you should be able to ask an open-ended question like, "I want to achieve this, how do I do it?" and get an answer about not only what by why that is the best solution.

And you should get a satisfaction guarantee of some kind or another.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:37 AM

Thank you, that is helpful. I have two story family room that has a very large palladium window flanked by two tall windows on each side. THe tall windows also have a small window in top of them. There is a fireplace/mantel under the palladium window. We had the windows tinted for energy efficiency and the view is really nice so I don't want to necessarily "cover" the windows but I wanted window treatments (not shuuters) to give the room a softer and more polished look.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Okay where here is where a professional can help you sort out your needs. You've made a slight mistake, although a common one, in describing your windows.

Palladium is a chemical element, represented on the periodic table as #46, part of a group of metals known as platinum metals; they are often used in jewelry making.

A Palladian window is a three-part window, in which the two outside panels are each half as wide as the center panel. This architectural element is named after Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio, who espoused classical styles and symmetry. A Palladian window can have an arch or clerestory panel but these are not what distinguish Palladian window from other types of windows. It is the relationship and proportions of the three parts that are the fundamental characteristics of the Palladian window.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:27 PM

Ok, sounds like I have arched windows. Is it industry practice to roll the amount of the consultation fees into the cost of the custom window treatments since I would assume the markup is significant?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 PM

Yes it is common industry practice. That is not to say that hourly fee structures are not industry practice--both are equally valid and common.

But typically hourly fee structures (sometimes called a 'time and materials' contract) are used when the scope of a project is extremely vague at the outset or has unusual characteristics and the designer cannot estimate with any confidence how much work or expense the project will require.

Draperies are pretty straightforward, so most likely they will use the percentage fee structure (sometimes called a 'not to exceed' contract). Generally, design fees and materials/products are identified separately on your invoice. This is for two reasons. First, because in most states, professional services are taxed differently than products. Second, and more importantly to you, because products may be returnable/refundable/exchangeable, but design services are not.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,520,606 times
Have you thought about JC Penney? They do a huge amount of draperies/window treatments, and will send someone out to your house to do measurements, bring swatches, etc... My parents used them for their house, and this is the second house I've used them for. I know a lot of people don't think about them, but they are one of the largest window treatment providers in the country, and their professionals (that I've dealt with at least) really know their stuff.

good luck!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,119,979 times
OK school is over! Thanks but why when we knew exactly what the post was inferring?

JC Penny does have a window treatment service and so do other large chain stores. I would take a picture along with exact measurements to the store of your choice. Good luck.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating