Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 10:53 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times

Advertisements

There are actually some laminate options out there that can pass pretty well for wood (to the untrained eye--like mine). A friend of mine installed laminate and they could've fooled me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:10 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Shag is called frieze now. I would prefer a quality laminate over carpet for the main living areas. With that being said, we were fortunate to get wood floors in a new build in that price range. Many home owners/builders in my neck of the woods apparently don't want to spend the dollars on hard woods or only place it in limited areas.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
americans like cheap wood floors. i prefer tile.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:41 AM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
I buy foreclosures to fix them up and either flip or rent them. I use laminate all the time, and I never get any objections to them. For the rentals they are much more practical because they hold up better than wood and, unlike carpet, I don't have to replace it when the tenant moves.
I have hardwood in my foyer and it is a mess because of my dog's nails. Here is a before and after of a house I flipped last year. I think the laminate looks a lot better than the carpet did.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people put laminate floors in nice houses???-img_1349_1.jpg   Why do people put laminate floors in nice houses???-img_1490_1.jpg  

Old 05-08-2010, 04:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I buy foreclosures to fix them up and either flip or rent them. I use laminate all the time, and I never get any objections to them. For the rentals they are much more practical because they hold up better than wood and, unlike carpet, I don't have to replace it when the tenant moves.
I have hardwood in my foyer and it is a mess because of my dog's nails. Here is a before and after of a house I flipped last year. I think the laminate looks a lot better than the carpet did.
Honestly...I'd rather you'd not painted the fireplace and done something about the ceiling rather than replacing one undesirable flooring option with another.

I can tell that's laminate just by looking at the picture. It looks like exactly what it is...pictures of wood stuck to particle board. It also feels cheap and is noisy. When I was looking at houses, every flip house had laminate. Every single one. Coincidentally, those flip houses also spent a good deal of time on the market because the flippers made the wrong improvements, i.e. putting new cabinets in a kitchen with a horrible layout and covering problem walls with badly done skip trowel texturing and laying laminate floors (often with visible gaps or buckling) instead of fixing the obvious plumbing/electrical/foundation problems...and totally ignoring the drafty windows, not even bothering to caulk them!

Sorry, rant over.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Cheap

Fairly easy to DIY

They hate carpet

Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 AM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Honestly...I'd rather you'd not painted the fireplace and done something about the ceiling rather than replacing one undesirable flooring option with another.

I can tell that's laminate just by looking at the picture. It looks like exactly what it is...pictures of wood stuck to particle board. It also feels cheap and is noisy. When I was looking at houses, every flip house had laminate. Every single one. Coincidentally, those flip houses also spent a good deal of time on the market because the flippers made the wrong improvements, i.e. putting new cabinets in a kitchen with a horrible layout and covering problem walls with badly done skip trowel texturing and laying laminate floors (often with visible gaps or buckling) instead of fixing the obvious plumbing/electrical/foundation problems...and totally ignoring the drafty windows, not even bothering to caulk them!

Sorry, rant over.
WOW! Well, you sure taught me a lesson! I will bow to your expertise in the future and do all of my flips based on your suggestions. So, how many tens of thousands have you made on each of your flips? I am averaging a 35% profit on most of mine, but if you say that you know more about how to do it I will defer to you!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:14 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,175 times
Quote:
Wow, you did a beautiful job with that house. It looks fantastic.

Yup, those of us with dogs, especially large dogs, appreciate the greater tolerance of laminate. I do have tile, but would prefer laminate. Grout is the weak point of tile, unless it's dark.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 PM

137 posts, read 614,763 times
Quote:
Laminate is definitely better than carpet so that was a definite improvement in your flip. As for painting the fireplace - am I going mad, or was it already painted white before the flip? So maybe a painted fireplace isn't the most desirable, but then it was already painted - net 0. And I do think the black looks better than the white, so maybe even +.5 for someone like me.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:03 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I've been house hunting and, for some reason, keep seeing nice houses, mostly built in the 60's and 70's with laminate "wood" floors. I'm talking 250K - 325K houses. Why in the world do people put those cheap looking floors in? I find myself deducting what it would cost to tear them out from the price I would pay. I'd prefer shag carpet. Do people really think they are a selling point?
I'm guessing because:

- They like the clip-clop sound... maybe it reminds them of horses?
- It's entertaining watching the dog come running around the corner and slide into the wall

I have no idea what the selling point is, unless the space is below ground level or it's in a house where it's kind of appropriate for the price point so to speak. IMO basically every building material has its place but sometimes people try and put something too high or low end in a house for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating