Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 89,354 times

Advertisements

There is also a product called Shutter Renu for faded shutters. The people that make that also make a product for patio furniture. This product will actually restore the color of faded metal and plastic furniture. We used it and it works great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,731 times
Default refurbishing patio set

I was just given a really nice patio set by a neighbor with very little rust but could definitely use some updating. I am familiar with painting but I am not sure what to do with the fabric that is the back of the chairs. Can I spray that too? I didn't see anyway to remove it first. Any suggestions?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Keep it black - if there is any future chipping or pealing, it will be black underneath. Black also goes with any color pillows or cushions you should choose.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Keep it black - if there is any future chipping or pealing, it will be black underneath. Black also goes with any color pillows or cushions you should choose.

cattknap just took the words out of my mouth. Metal sets exposed to the elements can get chipped very easily. I would go black and add colorful accents.
Don't know if theirs will work for you or not. Friends have a new metal set in the backyard but to add some zip to it, she bought some colorful fabric and sewed it together making a long "tie". She laced each chair with a different color fabric tie, it is stunning poolside, if I do say so.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diymommy View Post
I was just given a really nice patio set by a neighbor with very little rust but could definitely use some updating. I am familiar with painting but I am not sure what to do with the fabric that is the back of the chairs. Can I spray that too? I didn't see anyway to remove it first. Any suggestions?
There must be a way to remove it. If not, cover it with plastic and tape it. Whatever you do, don't spray paint the fabric.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,263 times
My first thought when I read this was, "black is boring." Low and behold, this is an old thread and that is exactly what I wrote two years ago! At least I'm sometimes consistent. I wonder what the OP ended up doing and how it turned out.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
If everyone would read EVERYTHING about a post you'd realize that this thread was revived by this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diymommy View Post
So, the NEW question is painting fabric on a chair.
My question to diymommy is this- what kind of fabric? Could it be an insert that could be removed/ reupholstered? Or is it caning?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I answered the new question.

But I enjoyed Sheepie's discovery that her opinion on the original question didn't change after two years!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:04 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If everyone would read EVERYTHING about a post you'd realize that this thread was revived by this post:

So, the NEW question is painting fabric on a chair.
My question to diymommy is this- what kind of fabric? Could it be an insert that could be removed/ reupholstered? Or is it caning?
I for one don't want to read EVERYTHING about a post (some posts and pages and pages long). All the info should be in the first post by the OP. Instead of reviving an old post in order to pose a new question why not make a new post - after all we are doing the OP a favor by giving her advice - why not make it as easy as possible for those responding to understand without having to sift through lots of posts? It obviously

Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,263 times
I did read the new post, but since Hopes had it covered, I posted my first thoughts instead. I agree with Catnap that it would be easier to post a whole new thread and the responses might be more targeted on the new question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating