Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 06:33 AM

889 posts, read 2,711,839 times

Advertisements

Can you give me any advice on choosing cabinet hardware? I can only spend $1.00 per unit, but our local lumber yard has some nice brand name close-outs. Any other place to find bargains? I need a total of 58 units for my kitchen and baths. Knobs vs. handles? I'm leaning toward brushed nickel- will that go out of style tomorrow? Is chrome "out" or timeless? Can you mix different ones within the same finish and style, (because the lumber yard doesn't have 30 of the same thing.) Does anyone regret what they got? What am I not thinking of, before I make a big decision? Thanks so much for you time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
A dollar a piece? Never forget that you get what you pay for. I bet the farm they are some cheap Chinese made white metal that cost them .001 cents a piece to produce. The big rapists......oops sorry I mean the big orange who only wants your little green has box sets of 10 or 20 or more which can be inexpensive buying like that but they too are China made.

I won't try to steer you to the proper quality made in America products but where I used to tell everyone to go is The Great Indoors. They are owned by Sears, another criminal in the home improvement industry. But when The Great Indoors has a sale.........wow do they have a sale. All top American made brands which might be close outs, left overs or odd lots. You can get $7 apiece handles for $2 each. These are for Baldwin, Amerock, Hafele, Belwith and some private names.

Chrome is way out of style. Nickles, stainless, blackout nickle are all very in. I still sell gold for bathrooms but never for kitchens. Don't be afraid to mix handles on doors and knobs on drawers.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:17 AM

desertsun, I especially appreciate your answer since no one else spoke up! Yes, the closeouts I got were Amerock. I agree with all you said. I want to spend $1, but get the "good stuff." So, It's okay to mix metals a little?? That goes against my obsessive compulsive side, but I'm glad to hear it. I'm trying to switch our house over from antique brass, but a lot of the door handles and hinges are good quality and I don't have the cash to swap them out anyway. Thanks again!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:07 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Our nice Amerock mid-level kitchen cabinet pulls from about 2003-04 were made in China. They've been manufacturing overseas for a long time now.

When we replaced the pulls on the laundry room cabinets this winter, they were $0.75 each from the big clearance bin at a Restoration Furniture Clearance Center. I think they're good but not great, but it's a laundry room, and I actually managed to find 12 of them that matched like I needed them to. Store price if you're dumb enough to pay full retail from Retoration Hardware is probably about $10 each, and they're made in PRC.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Our nice Amerock mid-level kitchen cabinet pulls from about 2003-04 were made in China. They've been manufacturing overseas for a long time now.

When we replaced the pulls on the laundry room cabinets this winter, they were $0.75 each from the big clearance bin at a Restoration Furniture Clearance Center. I think they're good but not great, but it's a laundry room, and I actually managed to find 12 of them that matched like I needed them to. Store price if you're dumb enough to pay full retail from Retoration Hardware is probably about $10 each, and they're made in PRC.
I do know Amerock is no longer made in the USA but I thought they moved the manufacturing to Taiwan, not China. Despite the move to Taiwan (or where ever it is) it's still a quality product.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:50 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
I don't think brushed crome is going out of style any time too soon. I guess I'd get a color that you like. You may try to match your lighting fixtures - if the light fixtures are brass, consider brass hardward. - Not manditory but a thought. Don't mix colors but if you must mix patterns only mix patterns on knobs vs. drawer pulls.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:52 AM

I looked at the little packages that my Amerock knobs came in and they say "Made in the U.S.A." Maybe they are from before they moved overseas? At least I know they're not full of cadmium.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 AM

Like many companies these days, they probably source products within the same category from eight different factories in four different countries. Kind of like how you can be in a clothing store and the blue version of a shirt is from China, the white version is from Vietnam, and the yellow version is from Bangladesh.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:26 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
You could also check ebay. I bought these knobs on ebay last year. They're brushed nickel and they look very nice. Not flimsy at all. Here's an example: 25 knobs for $24 with free shipping:

Brushed Nickel Knobs 1-1/8 " Set of 25 FREE SHIPPING - eBay (item 360262704860 end time May-24-10 18:07:44 PDT)

Old 05-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Now that you're got me thinking and remembering, Target actually has some nice-looking multipacks of hardware that would let you match them all for a reasonable price. Our pulls in the bathrooms are from there, and they've held up acceptably well for 7ish years at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating