Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times

Advertisements

I've definitely had colors grow on me. When we bought our current home the previous owners had pretty decent taste and the paint was in good shape, but we had decided to paint a couple rooms right off the bat to personalize it.

One of those rooms was the dining room, which was a sort of grey/blue. So, we bought the paint (MAB Cork Wedge, a medium tan color) and were going to paint after we moved in since we had a short time table for getting the move done. Well, we moved in and I had prepped the walls and patched a couple sections where the old owners had some pictures and things. We had put our dining room furniture in there already just to store it until we were ready to paint. I found my wife staring into the room one night and she says, I'm sorry, but I actually really like this blue with our furniture in there. Of course we didn't have any of the original paint, so I had it matched and repainted the whole room anyway, the same color it was when we moved in.

The Cork Wedge was then relegated to the family room, upstaris and downstairs hallways and the stair well. It looks great now and I really think our original idea wouldn't have looked as nice. So, as other's suggested finish off the room with decor and accents and see what it looks it, you may end up finding it's better than you thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 10:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
I've painted my kitchen 5 times now and still don't LOVE it! But the current color has sort of grown on me. Unfortunately, I mixed it myself with a variety of buckets of paint I had so I could never duplicate it. Sort of looks like a light pea soup. (White cabinets & black soapstone ctops)

Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I'm having the reverse happen. My house has a pumpkin colored kitchen which I liked a lot at first, but now I find it's getting a little oppressive.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:30 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
My family room and kitchen is interactive cream and mine isn't yellow at all. I dislike yellow so I recently wouldn't like it.

Did you test a sample of paint in your home before you painted? In different lights colors can look different. Do you get alot of natural sunlight? Have you tried using reveal (or other) light bulbs.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:24 PM

17 posts, read 74,989 times
interactive cream has grown on me now....i still feel like it looks a little yellowish/gold in certain lights...i never tried the reveal light bulbs..what is the pro in using them?

Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Yep! I know that feeling. I painted my rooms in a nice, very pale "French cottage" style yellow color that in short time turned to grayish, dark, institutional shade...
Something like from this :

to that:

Old 06-14-2010, 06:25 AM

972 posts, read 2,442,919 times
I was going for a light yellowish tan/camel in our bedroom. After 15 sample cans, I really thought I had the exact color. Wrong! It was actually peach. In fact, after painting I read the back of the color card that clearly stated "clear peach". When it was empty, the room looked like orange shurbert.

But, once the room was loaded, and I lived with it a while, we do love the color except for the few hours a day when it gets direct sunlight. Fortunatly, we are never in there during that time of day anyway.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:34 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
Nope, it never grows on me. I've gotten used to certain colors and don't mind them AS MUCH, but never really feel like "actually I'm going to keep this" once it comes time to change the color on my to do list I always feel much better about the room afterwards.

I'm really annoyed because I too painted my staircase which was a royal PITA, I picked a darker shade (not from the same card) of the color I have in the living room wanting the staircase wall to be an accent. FAIL, it dried much lighter than I thought it would and really just looks like the same color but like the room lighting is just casting a shadow on that wall. I'm going to wait until we install recessed lights in the room which will hopefully help show the contrast but if that doesn't help I will be once again going through the process of painting REALLLLLLY high walls while being REEEEALLLLY short

Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,309 times
OMG...Yes! AND the color just happens to be SW Interactive Cream! How funny. I have it in my kitchen, Bagel in my great room and Totami Tan in my game room. (I think they are on the same color card) I had to work with it and it grew on me. Now I really like it. Our home just went on the market, so here is the picture gallery to see the colors:
14718 Placid Point, Humble, TX 77396 - Photo Gallery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating