U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 PM

959 posts, read 3,259,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Do your cabinets have the arch on the door like the photo? If not, then you have more play on going with a more contemporary design. I hate oak cabinets myself. blah. I think because they are soooo over done. Anyway, I love color too. I am not real fond of blue though. I love orange, red, green depending on the feel you want to go with it. I had an orange kitchen and used some red/black chili pepper accents. Then got over that and did a pale green and went more botanical. I found nice fabric of creme and green. Fern prints etc. It was calming and the greens reminded me of a crisp salad. Yum
Thankfully they don't have the arch And it's a really big kitchen so I don't have to worry about a bright/dark color making it look smaller. I found an article suggesting a specific bright medium blue for oak cabinets:

Best Sherwin-Williams Paint Colors for a Blue Kitchen - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Blue is my favorite color
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 PM

25,391 posts, read 31,739,660 times
That "tempo teal" color is kinda cool.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 PM

7,141 posts, read 3,236,328 times
I think the best color with oak is a sage green. It seems to tone down the orange of the oak. Look at SW svelte sage.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:50 AM

5,249 posts, read 8,057,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
Thankfully they don't have the arch And it's a really big kitchen so I don't have to worry about a bright/dark color making it look smaller. I found an article suggesting a specific bright medium blue for oak cabinets:

Best Sherwin-Williams Paint Colors for a Blue Kitchen - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Blue is my favorite color
lol. I should have known that by your name. Not having the arch will let you go in whatever direction you like. Post pics when your done.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,120 times
I have honey oak with a slight orangy look. I have my walls painted a bright yellow which accents more the yellow highlights in the oak than the orange. They don't look orangy with the yellow paint. Before that I tried a cream that was slightly orange and the cabinets looked really orange - awful. I immediately changed the color to yellow. Before this I had a light green which also looked nice.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 PM

10,979 posts, read 9,462,577 times
Do you hate a pale sage green for the walls? I am guessing that you do have the arch in which case the half moon brushed nickel pulls will not work. You could use oblong nickel door knobs. On the sides

Another way to go that is pretty bold would be paprika walls.

Either sage or parika will safely take your kitchen out of the 80s - 90s

BTW ripping out serviceable and funtioning cabs is not needed to make your kitchen work.
Also there are no rules against painting oak that I know of.
Black, white or cream would be nice. I would get a professional to do it.

I have seen it done and it's not against the law.
Not like ripping off the tag on your pillow case or anything. (Wink)

It's YOUR kitchen - you know your budget - have fun with it!

The only green that I would avoid is that deep hunter green - so 90s - but a soothing sage with cream and oak is classy!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 AM

472 posts, read 464,282 times
I had the same color oak cabinets in my last house. For the paint color, I chose Crocodile Tears by Valspar (it was a light/sagey green) and I changed out the brass hardware for oil rubbed bronze hardware. Those two changes made a huge difference.

And, as a cabinet glazer myself, I am here to tell you that you CAN paint oak, if you ever decide to do that. Whoever said you couldn't was wrong.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,417 times
Why not paint Oak Cabinets?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 PM

21,581 posts, read 36,455,318 times
Default Before the OP comes back to bite your head off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohonestly View Post
Why not paint Oak Cabinets?
I will remind you that the OP absolutely positutely wants only suggestions as to what color to paint the walls of their kitchen...

Personally I dislike oak hued "honey oak" and have semi-successfully used medium fruitwood stains to at least tone down the ugliness that so many lazy builders dish out. Oak does not paint easily -- its grain will show through mutliple layers of paint no matter how heavily you coat the stuff, and then you can the added yuckiness of that paint obscuring any molded detail that the cabinets may have yet still not being as smooth as as a more paintable wood like poplar...

Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM

12,238 posts, read 11,755,972 times
I too will go with the sage green. I think that will look nice with the oak. Ok, we all know oak is out, but we can still make the best of it.

I like deeper colors, maybe a darker shade of the sage.??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating