U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:17 PM

959 posts, read 3,281,691 times

Advertisements

The house we're buying has oak cabinets. They are not exactly as light as what you would call honey cabinets, a tad darker and more orangey, but not quite as dark as these:
http://www.nuwa.com/dbsql_data/2010/...k_cabinets.jpg

The counter tops are a light cream color and the tile is beige.

What paint colors and knob colors would you recommend to make it look like I like having oak cabinets A little aside that oak is actually the hubby's favorite wood so he is not taking kindly to my desire to have them morphed into white cabinets (my favorite look).

Blue? Orange? Green?? We like color.

Chrome silver or black knobs? I'm thinking something really modern looking to counter the oak-iness.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'd be most grateful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 10:25 PM

4,806 posts, read 12,058,471 times
Brown wood, beige tile, cream colored counters.....these are all neutral. You can do any color you want. Cobalt. Puce. Chartreuse. Tangerine.

Match something else in the room, maybe some canisters or your kitchen towels or something. Or just pick your favorite color.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
There is nothing wrong with those cabinets. Rarely do I say those words on this forum unless it's true. If you paint them you have just ruined them. Those cabinets are in perfect condition. The only thing wrong is the micowave is mounted where only enough room for a hood vent is. Some one screwed up royally there. The cab above the micro is way too long for a micro. What do you have left above the stove like 12"?? I can smell the fire starting from here. Make damn sure your smoke detectors have good fresh batteries and you have an escape route when they start ringing.

And as I said in previous posts the past couple hours which went ignored, YOU CAN NOT PAINT OAK.

You also have 36" uppers which is a pretty stupid thing for whom ever did that. That leaves 6" left over the cabs and really maybe 4" after the crown molding. I can smell the dust collecting from here.

It also appears to me that the stove is against the wall. Did you get a home inspection before buying this house? Is that home inspector breathing? Barking Spider, (he is an inspector) back me up on this. That is a major fire hazard and against every building code ever written. That kitchen must have been layed out by a big box store employee. An employee who should be jailed.

Oh, you asked about knobs. Brushed nickle, stainless, or blackout nickle.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:06 AM

Did you read my post at all?

That is not my kitchen. I was showing an example of oak cabinets saying mine were a bit lighter.

And I never said I was planning to paint my cabinets. I'm wanting to paint the walls. But if I did want to paint my cabinets, I would want replies with suggestions for good colors, not ones going on about their love of wood.

Personally I don't like the look of wood grain at all. It reminds me of the 80s where there was way too much wood everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
There is nothing wrong with those cabinets. Rarely do I say those words on this forum unless it's true. If you paint them you have just ruined them. Those cabinets are in perfect condition. The only thing wrong is the micowave is mounted where only enough room for a hood vent is. Some one screwed up royally there. The cab above the micro is way too long for a micro. What do you have left above the stove like 12"?? I can smell the fire starting from here. Make damn sure your smoke detectors have good fresh batteries and you have an escape route when they start ringing.

And as I said in previous posts the past couple hours which went ignored, YOU CAN NOT PAINT OAK.

You also have 36" uppers which is a pretty stupid thing for whom ever did that. That leaves 6" left over the cabs and really maybe 4" after the crown molding. I can smell the dust collecting from here.

It also appears to me that the stove is against the wall. Did you get a home inspection before buying this house? Is that home inspector breathing? Barking Spider, (he is an inspector) back me up on this. That is a major fire hazard and against every building code ever written. That kitchen must have been layed out by a big box store employee. An employee who should be jailed.

Oh, you asked about knobs. Brushed nickle, stainless, or blackout nickle.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Thank you but I know there are colors that make the oak pop more and colors that complement the wood. I can tell just by playing around on the Sherwin Williams website. I really want the oak cabinets to disappear or at least look as though they are intended for the color scheme. Blue and yellow/orange seem to be doing the job best on my laptop screen so far Which I suppose makes sense since the cabinets are orange-y and blue is the color opposite orange on the color wheel. Which means that red or yellow might also work well being next to orange, but hubby isn't fond of yellow and neither of us want a red kitchen. We'll probably end up with blue But if it were up to me, the paint on the walls would be a golden yellow or orange-y yellow and the cabinets would be blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Brown wood, beige tile, cream colored counters.....these are all neutral. You can do any color you want. Cobalt. Puce. Chartreuse. Tangerine.

Match something else in the room, maybe some canisters or your kitchen towels or something. Or just pick your favorite color.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:17 PM

10,653 posts, read 6,544,858 times
Oak is dated and with a cream counter top and tile that screams 80's. Really i'd just leave it as is, or go all out with a complete remodel. You'll pretty much just be wasting money otherwise trying to get a more modern look out of it.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:08 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,810,594 times
Reds and greens really make the wood tones pop out. We used Benjamin Moore's Dry Sage in a couple rooms and it make the wood just glow. It is enough color without being overwhelming. You could then use an oil rubbed brass finish on your door hardware but stainless looks nice with those too. I also like a navy blue/sage green combo.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Are you volunteering to pay for our remodel? Because if not then I really just want paint advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Oak is dated and with a cream counter top and tile that screams 80's. Really i'd just leave it as is, or go all out with a complete remodel. You'll pretty much just be wasting money otherwise trying to get a more modern look out of it.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Reds and greens really make the wood tones pop out. We used Benjamin Moore's Dry Sage in a couple rooms and it make the wood just glow. It is enough color without being overwhelming. You could then use an oil rubbed brass finish on your door hardware but stainless looks nice with those too. I also like a navy blue/sage green combo.
Thank you golfgal I'm not a big fan of green but red IS my hubby's favorite color. I may revisit it.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:57 AM

5,262 posts, read 8,247,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
The house we're buying has oak cabinets. They are not exactly as light as what you would call honey cabinets, a tad darker and more orangey, but not quite as dark as these:
http://www.nuwa.com/dbsql_data/2010/...k_cabinets.jpg

The counter tops are a light cream color and the tile is beige.

What paint colors and knob colors would you recommend to make it look like I like having oak cabinets A little aside that oak is actually the hubby's favorite wood so he is not taking kindly to my desire to have them morphed into white cabinets (my favorite look).

Blue? Orange? Green?? We like color.

Chrome silver or black knobs? I'm thinking something really modern looking to counter the oak-iness.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'd be most grateful
Do your cabinets have the arch on the door like the photo? If not, then you have more play on going with a more contemporary design. I hate oak cabinets myself. blah. I think because they are soooo over done. Anyway, I love color too. I am not real fond of blue though. I love orange, red, green depending on the feel you want to go with it. I had an orange kitchen and used some red/black chili pepper accents. Then got over that and did a pale green and went more botanical. I found nice fabric of creme and green. Fern prints etc. It was calming and the greens reminded me of a crisp salad. Yum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating