U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:10 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,212,971 times
Default Most popular trim color, white or wood stain?

While house hunting, we came across some homes that had beautiful woodwork, but the folks ended up painting it white? The reason we know is that some of the original was left either up or downstairs! The house we just sold we had originally looked at years ago to buy and we liked the woodwork with the wood look...but then when it came on the market again a few years later, the folks had painted everything white! So what is your favorite trim color?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 10:49 AM

10,653 posts, read 6,047,139 times
White for sure. Right now wood trim isn't "in" and looks dated IMO, but everyone has their own opinion.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:13 AM

584 posts, read 1,277,212 times
White or painted trim tends to look better in modern homes such as ranchers, split-levels, current frankenstein-architecture, etc. Also, homes that have a contractor-grade application of millwork - slapped on millwork to make the overabundance of drywall look less embarrassing.

Stained wood looks arguably better in older homes, such as Victorians, Arts-Crafts/Bungalows and Craftsman homes with heavy traditional period millwork.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:06 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,212,971 times
I was mainly referring to older homes. Some of the older homes have such beautiful trim and architecture. I can see why you would like white in the newer ones, makes it a little more contemporary.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:11 AM

1,652 posts, read 4,743,616 times
Ninety nine percent of the time, white trim looks the best. The other 1% would be stained wood, and it has to be good expensive wood, otherwise, it looks horribly dated.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:38 PM

41,214 posts, read 23,652,727 times
I love white trim - carry it with me in every house I have owned.

But the really old and full of character homes with original stained or varnished wood is beautiful. If I had a home like that, I would probably leave it and make it pop with paint.

I am always drawn to green tones next to stained or varnished wood. Either a deep forest green or sage.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 AM

344 posts, read 594,212 times
white trim, definately. The only exception IMO would be a restored historical home.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 AM

10,427 posts, read 28,431,756 times
It's not a matter of white VS stained and which is better. This is a society of instant gratification. And when beautiful wood starts to look a little old, lazy people will just buy a can of paint because it's easier to paint then to restore beautiful wood and the architecture and craftsmanship it shows. The other end of the stick is Builders save thousands of dollars just spray bombing trim in mass before installing it as opposed to taking the time and expense to finish beautiful wood properly.

Stained woodwork will never die, but humans desire for a quick fix and as cheaply as possible will be the driving force in what you see more of.

Think back to older homes in a time when actual Craftsmen were alive and well. If after these Craftsmen built these homes and some dumb azz painted over their handy work, there would have been a lot more murders to try in court. Fast forward to today where new homes are built with questionable clowns in the labor pool whose trim tolerance on the joints are a whole inch or more gap who's opinion is "oh caulk will close the gap and we are just painting it anyway" attitude.

Painted woodwork is just another sign of the desire for Walmart quality of today not to mention the lack of basic home improvement skills on home owners part. How disgusting. How deplorable. How aweful.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 AM

780 posts, read 1,308,179 times
Stained all the way for me. I don't care the kind of wood, color, size. There's nothing like it. I like white sometimes (especially with gray walls) but you better keep it looking fresh and know how to paint it correctly cause if you don't, it will look terrible.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 AM

13,569 posts, read 15,649,124 times
I think as other's have said it depends on the home, but I also think it depends on the color scheme as well.

I shudder when I see good woodwork painted white, but conversely I also shudder when I see stained wood work in a more modern home with modern color schemes.

I think it all comes down to your decorating taste and what you lean towards. My wife and I have a modern home and I know that stained woodwork would generally look out of place with our furniture, decor and color scheme. On the other hand, my in-laws have a restored Victorian and ANY painted wood would look horrible in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating