U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 11:57 AM

17,568 posts, read 21,741,355 times

Advertisements

We are purchasing a house that has relatively new white vinyl siding and a charcoal gray-blue roof.
I know a purist would say to remove the vinyl but we do not have that kind of budget and we like the ease and cost effectiveness that vinyl affords - although we would not have chosen white.
Any ideas for trim color shutters, decorations above windows, porch bracket colors etc?

At present the shutters are painted an 80s country blue - ugh!
Yes the kitcheb has blue wall paper involvving ducks but thats a whole other post.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:51 PM

Hhheeeeelllpppp!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:13 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,470,229 times
How about a picture?

You might want to look up the period style for that time period.

Maybe a deep burgandy?

I wouldn't go with any blue - too matchy, matchy with the roof.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,155,933 times
The Painted Ladies

Old 05-31-2010, 11:07 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,481,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We are purchasing a house that has relatively new white vinyl siding and a charcoal gray-blue roof.
I know a purist would say to remove the vinyl but we do not have that kind of budget and we like the ease and cost effectiveness that vinyl affords - although we would not have chosen white.
Any ideas for trim color shutters, decorations above windows, porch bracket colors etc?

Yes the kitcheb has blue wall paper involvving ducks but thats a whole other post.
Congrats! I agree with the other poster, research the painted ladies. This will give you lots of ideas.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,354,094 times
Are you sure the house is a Victorian? White is a little hard to work with if you want to make it look older because it is so stark. My in-laws have a 4-square that has white aluminum siding with a dark gray roof, dark gray shutters and trim around the windows. You could go with something like that and then add a bold color front door.

I see a lot of people trying to make a house into a Victorian when it really isn't and then it just looks silly.

A picture would be helpful.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Quote:

I've never seen an old house that looked good wearing vinyl. Take it off and paint the poor place like North Beach Person implies!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:21 PM

I an sure that the house is a late Victorian with some Edwardian and craftsman features.
Not terrible ornate - which is fine with me - but most lay people would call it a Victorian.

I TOTALLY agree about the vinyl siding. hey in a perfect world I would strip it off and replace it with clapboard made of wood. I do not have this kind of money right now.

So, within the context of what we an and cannot do economically what is your best advice???

Old 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM

15,228 posts, read 23,743,496 times
I would think the safest would be to paint the doors, trim and shutters black.
black and white while not the most original, it is a classic.

I think IMO which is worthless it would be better than painting it a color that would look stupid.....

Old 06-01-2010, 02:01 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Quote:
I an sure that the house is a late Victorian with some Edwardian and craftsman features.
Not terrible ornate - which is fine with me - but most lay people would call it a Victorian.

I TOTALLY agree about the vinyl siding. hey in a perfect world I would strip it off and replace it with clapboard made of wood. I do not have this kind of money right now.

So, within the context of what we an and cannot do economically what is your best advice???
Usually the vinyl is just slapped on over the origional wood. Is that the case with your place? If so, you could patch, scrape and paint it at very low cost if you DIY it. Not saying it would be easy or painless, but perhaps worth it. Otherwise it's gonna be impossible to make it look "classy" by just tacking on new fake shutters, pediments and the like. It will only look tacky and cost you more $$$.

I would go all the way and do it right or not go at all. If it isn't currently economically feasible, leave it as-is and wait until it is feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating