Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:51 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times

Advertisements

Cabinets: Kraftmaid Cherry Peppercorn / recessed panel simple square door
http://www.kraftmaid.com/KM_Finishes/Medium/Cherry/PCXX01.jpg (broken link)

Countertops: New Venetian Gold Granite

Floors: not picked yet, but some type of sand color tile

I am not sure where to go with the backsplash. I really like the glass tile, but I feel the small squares are too busy, but maybe it would be fine in lighter colors. I think most of the pictures of glass tile I have seen has been darker tiles.

Here are the choices:

The one on the right. No interest in the blue tones.

The one on the left.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 AM

889 posts, read 2,711,839 times
I love your cabinets and granite. The photos you posted are great. I wish I could hold them up to each other. It's hard to scroll and look, scroll and look... :-) I would like to base my decision on who YOU are. The bottom, bigger tiles seem more formal and less "warm" to me. The little glass tiles are more fun and trendy. I, personally, would choose "Sienna" or "Corsica" because they have the most color, but maybe you want it all to blend more, or have colorful accessories. In that case, "Modena" or "Bari Beige" would blend, more than pop. They are all beautiful, it just depends what you are trying to accomplish. Let us know what you choose!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:08 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
I would go with the Novara in the choices you put up.

If you do the natural stone, put it on the diagonal with a colorful 1" square insert.

Have you thought about rectangular glass tiles?

glass tile store Alloy Glass&Stone : shop glasstilestore.com

The Tile Shop | Wall Tile

Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
I don't believe the tile shop had any rectangular glass tiles. The problem here is that I'm in NC & the house that we're building/shops are in MA. My husband is in MA & I am limited to picking from pictures he has emailed to me. I know possiblities with tile is endless, but I'm trying to limit myself to these choices.

I believe what I'm going for is something that blends in and not "pop". I don't want the backsplash to scream "hey! look at me!" I don't have a lot of colorful accessories for the kitchen. I think really with such dark cabinets I just want something that isn't going to be dark.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:20 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
Of the choices, I'd do the sienna. (I like the stone tile, but wonder if, when combined with the granite, there's too much going on visually).

Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 PM

414 posts, read 911,043 times
Here's a link to some kitchens with Venetian Gold countertops. Looks like most of the back splashes are pretty simple.
This site also has a gallery of backsplashes (and finished kitchens!).
starpooh's c1:Counter_Granite:Venetian_Gold Bookmarks on Delicious
linkin

Last edited by Beretta; 06-03-2010 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: linking to blogs not allowed

Old 06-03-2010, 07:08 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Of the choices, I'd do the sienna. (I like the stone tile, but wonder if, when combined with the granite, there's too much going on visually).
I like the seinna too.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I like the sienna too. I think it picks up the brown and caramel tones in the stone, while also picking up the red colors in the wood.

Personally I would avoid using two different stones for counter and backsplash. If you absolutely want to go this route, the colors and patterns should be of significant contrast, so as not to look like a 'near miss', like you couldn't get matching materials for the two surfaces, or did a haphazard remodel job.

Last edited by kodaka; 06-03-2010 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 09:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Please don't use the Sienna. It's too busy for the granite. I think too many color variations in a backsplash clashes against granite patterns.

If you want to use Sienna, you should pick a solid color countertop instead of a patterned granite.

With the granite, I'd pick a pattern that's not as busy and blends best with the counter.

The best glass tile choices are: Novara and Corsica

The best Skabos wall tile choice is: the first picture. It's less busy than the second Skabos picture.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
The first stone tile picture isn't too busy. Most of the glass tile is busy. I rare like glass tile with granite because the patterns usually clash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating