Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 AM

692 posts, read 3,141,304 times

Advertisements

I just came from my nearest two Honda dealers from pricing out a 2010 Odyssey. This is a Close Out Vehicle.....

What a arrogant bunch of BS from these guys. US Honda's policy is MSRP price Period.
No rebates, no discounts, no nothing but an offer of 1.9% financing which I don't need.

Where I live it's just a ferry ride to Canada where they currently have a $6000 rebate on this same van. No questions asked .. it's being advertised locally in Canada and we get it here on US TV.

US Dealers say NO DEAL on any discounts.
I called the dealer in Canada and they said No Problem buying and getting it back to the US other then make sure your local dealers won't hassle you on the Warranty.

$6000 rebate makes it a no Brainer if the warranty is honored but why isn't Honda allowing the US dealers to participate in this Rebate offering.

A BUMMER MR. ARROGANT HONDA !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
It may seem like a good deal, but it's not. Your warranty will NOT be valid and this has nothing to do with the dealer, it is Honda's own policy.

The most likely reason for the discount in Canada is that Honda has much better margins per vehicle in the Canadian market than in the U.S. In order to protect the dealers on either side of the border and prevent "gaming" of the exchange rate, Honda will not honor the warranty of a vehicle bought in Canada and imported to the U.S. and vice versa. They are one of the few manufacturers to have such stringent warranty guidelines regarding U.S./Canda.

Most people never knew this policy existed until Canadian dealers started selling U.S. sourced used Honda's and the warranty claims got denied. They will allow you to import the vehicle either way and retain the warranty as long as you officially move. So, you live in Canada, buy a Honda and register it there. You then move to the U.S. You need to fill out some paperwork with Honda and they will honor the warranty. They also honor the warranty if you are "visiting" but that would mean living in one country and just driving in the other when an issue happens.

Honda treats the two markets as seperate entities while most treat U.S./Canada as "North America". My advice really comes down to whether or not you value the warranty. You could role the dice, take the rebate and lose your warranty and be SOL if anything major happens. Or, you could just buy in the U.S. and have the warranty. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. Again though, this is not something a local Honda dealer can overlook as the claim will be denied at Honda HQ. This is probably why the U.S. dealers are so steadfast on their price. They know the risk you will take by buying in Canada.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It may seem like a good deal, but it's not. Your warranty will NOT be valid and this has nothing to do with the dealer, it is Honda's own policy.

The most likely reason for the discount in Canada is that Honda has much better margins per vehicle in the Canadian market than in the U.S. In order to protect the dealers on either side of the border and prevent "gaming" of the exchange rate, Honda will not honor the warranty of a vehicle bought in Canada and imported to the U.S. and vice versa. They are one of the few manufacturers to have such stringent warranty guidelines regarding U.S./Canda.

Most people never knew this policy existed until Canadian dealers started selling U.S. sourced used Honda's and the warranty claims got denied. They will allow you to import the vehicle either way and retain the warranty as long as you officially move. So, you live in Canada, buy a Honda and register it there. You then move to the U.S. You need to fill out some paperwork with Honda and they will honor the warranty. They also honor the warranty if you are "visiting" but that would mean living in one country and just driving in the other when an issue happens.

Honda treats the two markets as seperate entities while most treat U.S./Canada as "North America". My advice really comes down to whether or not you value the warranty. You could role the dice, take the rebate and lose your warranty and be SOL if anything major happens. Or, you could just buy in the U.S. and have the warranty. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. Again though, this is not something a local Honda dealer can overlook as the claim will be denied at Honda HQ. This is probably why the U.S. dealers are so steadfast on their price. They know the risk you will take by buying in Canada.
Thanks for that info...that makes it pretty clear. Funny the Dealer couldn't tell me that.
Another way to do it would be to Buy the Van in Canada. Drive it Home and put a high quality full coverage aftermarket warranty on it. That shouldnt cost more than $3000 if you work them down on the incredible mark up.
It may be possible to get a better Warranty then the factory offers considering it's only 3 yrs. 36,000 miles plus the extended power train coverage.

I might just check it out for the heck of it.

I hate buying a new vehicle without any negotiating power.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:16 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Thanks for that info...that makes it pretty clear. Funny the Dealer couldn't tell me that.
Another way to do it would be to Buy the Van in Canada. Drive it Home and put a high quality full coverage aftermarket warranty on it. That shouldnt cost more than $3000 if you work them down on the incredible mark up.
It may be possible to get a better Warranty then the factory offers considering it's only 3 yrs. 36,000 miles plus the extended power train coverage.

I might just check it out for the heck of it.

I hate buying a new vehicle without any negotiating power.
Given the amount of money you will save and the generally stellar reliability of the Odyssey, I think it's a small risk and one easily covered with a good third party warranty that will probably cost you less than what you saved by buying in Canada.

There are some additional hoops to jump through as far as importing the car, but it's a pretty straight forward process and one the dealer is most likely familiar with and able to handle.

As for the dealer not telling you, that's most likely because it's a major sore spot for Honda and one the dealers are upset about as well. I don't know of any other manufacturer that has the same U.S./Canada policy that Honda does. Up to a couple years ago, they wouldn't honor the warranty under any terms if you had a Canadian car in the U.S. or vice versa. They have since lightened up, but are still not very progressive or responsive on this issue.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Dunno where the OP is Honda shopping, but even here in sparsely populated hillbilly heaven, with only a few dlrs, there are deals to be had on every Honda car on the lot; ordering a new '11, maybe not so much, but if a car/van is sitting on the Honda's lot, (floorplan), some serious inquiry should yield a few hundred to a thou over dlr cost, at most.

Get on the net, ask every dlr in your "area" what you want vs what they have in stock, (the dlr net sites often don't show entire inventory at that dlr location), and ask for best Internet price. Then, go in and make a deal. I suspect you are working at it...the CDA buy is not out of the question, as noted, but it will come with CDA DRLs, possibly a diff odo/speedo reading, etc. And, no warranty as noted. Would not be my choice.
GL, mD

Old 08-28-2010, 03:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
You need to go to another dealer. Honda never actually publishes incentive other than low finacining but they do give dealers incentive. In 2008 I bought a Odessey at 2000 lower than invoice. it also depends on dealer sales. Try the end of month which those who need sales will bargian.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:40 PM

If you go to the Honda website now you will see that in the Pacific Northwest zone the 2010 Odessey has only a lease deal and 1.9% financing program available. No other program sponsored buy the company.
If the dealer wants to offer an additional discount then I suppose it will vary from dealer to dealer depending on there inventory etc.
There are not many Odessey's available anywhere near my location except Canada.
I checked with the only 2 dealers within a hundred miles and neither one will deal on whats left.
Seems some people are already looking at the 2011 pictures of the New updated model and "Gagging" creating a demand for the remaining 2010 models.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:55 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
If you go to the Honda website now you will see that in the Pacific Northwest zone the 2010 Odessey has only a lease deal and 1.9% financing program available.
On that lease, i'm seeing an MSRP of 27,585. Cap cost that the lease is based upon is 23,310. That's $4200 right there.

Honda Cars Offers & Leases Detail - Official Website
"Subject to limited availability. From July 7, 2010 through September 7, 2010, to approved lessees by Honda Financial Serivces. Closed end lease for 2010 Odyssey 5 Speed Automatic LX vehicles (Model RL3H2AEW), for well qualified lessees. Not all lessees will qualify. Higher lease rates apply for lessees with lower credit ratings. MSRP $27,585.00 (includes destination) less the capitalized cost reduction (which may be paid by the suggested dealer contribution) resulting in actual net capitalized cost $23,310.27."

Old 08-28-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
On that lease, i'm seeing an MSRP of 27,585. Cap cost that the lease is based upon is 23,310. That's $4200 right there.

Honda Cars Offers & Leases Detail - Official Website
"Subject to limited availability. From July 7, 2010 through September 7, 2010, to approved lessees by Honda Financial Serivces. Closed end lease for 2010 Odyssey 5 Speed Automatic LX vehicles (Model RL3H2AEW), for well qualified lessees. Not all lessees will qualify. Higher lease rates apply for lessees with lower credit ratings. MSRP $27,585.00 (includes destination) less the capitalized cost reduction (which may be paid by the suggested dealer contribution) resulting in actual net capitalized cost $23,310.27."
Thanks for the home work. That sounds like a fair deal for anyone looking to lease, but I just want to Pay Cash and own the vehicle.

Seems like Cash does not talk everywhere these days. They used to give prizes, gifts, and discounts for cash when I was young.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I would gladly give up my new car warranty in exchange for $6K in cash. Furthermore, the OP can easily drive back to a dealer in Canada for any expensive warranty service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura