Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times

Advertisements

It needs to be able to cope with stop and go traffic--to be able to go in an instant--of enough body size to drive with SUVs and tractor trailers and not be the most expensive beast ever designed.

I am inclined to think--go used. I know a reputable dealer--checked them out thoroughly--only handle the good manufacturers--those who trade with them must have thorough documentation of maintenance--even then--well it is a gamble.

I just can't pay $20,000. I want --sun/moon roof. moderately upgraded audio. safety/security ---Honda does all that. cloth interior works for me.

a while back i drove some of the newer ones--Civics of several kinds, Accords. and an element--my dog would like that. the Element seems to be my preferred vehicle--it is too expensive.

Civic Lx or Ex--i wish they still did the hatchbacks--best Honda ever Civic hatchback c. 1981.

any thoughts--i have to start looking again. sigh--such a JOB.

tia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:26 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Look at the c r v. We have had a couple. Great on the road and the awd is nice. Gas mileage isn't as good as suspected. Very reliable. I have an 08 civic n love it. Good luck future Honda owner!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Used Prius. Not sure how an Element is too expensive, tons of used ones under 20k....but they stopped making them due to no demand.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 AM

i'll start thinking about the crv--must have the best brakes --ability to stay the course if knocked by crazy big vehicles. i've had 3 hondas. civic lx--almost made it to 200,000--knocked by a tractor trailer. that is always a possibility here--you should just see what goes on at peak times on the interstates. if you aren't absolutely focused--an idiot cuts in front--and if you think anyone will allow you to stay back as you are supposed to--think again.

i am hated-- i drive defensively--i can be prepared to let others cut in and will pull to the right as soon as i can. still 'they'--just feel they own the road.

i would be dead today if Honda didn't know what it knows and do what it does.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
If you want use, you should have no problem finding a CRV or Element for under $20k. Also look at the Fit. I know a few who have those and they love them and all get about 40mpgs on the highway.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
What is your price range? No one can help you without knowing how much you are willing to spend. You said, not $20k, does that mean $18k or $19k is fine, or does it mean more like $10k?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
I don't know if it's as big as you want, but I got a pretty good deal on a used 2006 Accord in 2009. EX model with leather, sunroof, navigation system, V6 engine, and only 45k miles for $14,900 (just made my last payment last week, woo!) It would probably go for somewhere roughly around $12k-ish today from a dealer.

And don't disregard mom and pop car lots. That's where I bought mine from. I took it to a Honda dealership down the road before I purchased it and paid them $98 to do a thorough on it to make sure I wasn't getting a lemon (I've never heard of a car lot not letting you do this, and I wouldn't go within 100 feet of one that wouldn't). The worst they could find was that one of the indicator lights for the heated seats didn't come on...

Old 05-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
What is your price range? No one can help you without knowing how much you are willing to spend. You said, not $20k, does that mean $18k or $19k is fine, or does it mean more like $10k?
i can't be sure at this point--leaning toward the lower end. i think i am an Accord person. fit too small --element --too expensive. i don't feel safe in a smaller car anymore. i know that--the Accord can be seen in the madness of SUV's and trucks and trailer rigs.

how good r my chances of surviving--that is the real question. if you have to anticipate spinning across 2-6 lanes of interstate traffic--best to be in a vehicle that is built to do that.

Porsche dealer has chosen a location in another part of the city. i won't be visiting them--i know that. great cars--they zip through the mess---driven, i can only assume, by NASA test pilots.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I don't know if it's as big as you want, but I got a pretty good deal on a used 2006 Accord in 2009. EX model with leather, sunroof, navigation system, V6 engine, and only 45k miles for $14,900 (just made my last payment last week, woo!) It would probably go for somewhere roughly around $12k-ish today from a dealer.

And don't disregard mom and pop car lots. That's where I bought mine from. I took it to a Honda dealership down the road before I purchased it and paid them $98 to do a thorough on it to make sure I wasn't getting a lemon (I've never heard of a car lot not letting you do this, and I wouldn't go within 100 feet of one that wouldn't). The worst they could find was that one of the indicator lights for the heated seats didn't come on...
i found a good one--that is probably how i will do this. perfection in the mechanical systems is a priority. brakes--ability to hold steady if knocked off course. ??torque and/or suspension?? i think i have heard those terms before.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:47 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
What do you mean knocked off when it comes to your brakes? If you are rear ended?

Accord and Civic would be a good way to go. Both Gen 8 Civics and current Gen Accords are pretty solid and made well. Both give decent MPG with the Civic having better city mpg by far and slightly better highway.

I just drove off the lot with a 2008 Civic LX, fits my needs for daily commute. My wife just got a 2011 Honda Insight. We payd 21.5k for the Insight. Can get the standard Insight for around 19k and probably a used 2010 EX for about 18-19k. Great Hybrid cars getting 40 city/43 highway rated. Most drivers see closer to 50 MPG total.

Traded in my 2005 Honda CRV. I liked it but no need for its lower gas mileage. It was getting near 100k and still got 10k for it.

Last edited by Momotaro; 05-12-2011 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: adding more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura