U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 PM

75 posts, read 372,152 times

Advertisements

Soon, I'll be getting my mom's old car: 2009 Honda Civic EX-L. It's fully loaded with leather, GPS, etc. I hate the car with a fiery passion (touchy acceleration/steering, hard to see out of). I want to trade it in for something else, but I'm not 100% sure what for.
I have several ideas. I'm prepared to hand over about $3,000 to $8,000 to upgrade when I do trade it. I have several ideas, but I'm not sure which is the best option or whether or not I have enough money to get what I'm looking for.
I want the car to have the leather and GPS, too. Here are my ideas for the used cars:
-Honda Accord
-Toyota Camry
-Acura TSX/TL
-Lexus ES/GS

I also want the car to be no older than the 2007 model year.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 07:09 PM

10,900 posts, read 23,173,761 times
have you looked at the2011-2012 Mustang V-6

YouTube - ‪2011 Ford Mustang V6 - Drive Time Review‬‏

Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 PM

3,293 posts, read 6,999,902 times
Are you wanting any excitement with your new car? If so, i'd avoid the camry, the accord could be a little better but i'd probably avoid it also, it'll most likely remind you of your civic in some ways...leather quality, engine performance, and driving dynamics. I don't know how much the civic is worth in the trade, i also typically recommend the used GTi...good car, good performance, and can come with all the items you were looking for...But of the list you put down there, the only one i'd be remotely interested in are the Acuras. I'd probably avoid the high revving TSX, and get the TL...it'll have a V6 standard and getting over 300hp. Driving should be a tad more refined than the Honda equivalent, and a tad more sporty too.

As to other Front drivers, might want to take a peak at the Mazda 3/6 also. Good looking and performing cars, especially in Mazdaspeed trim.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Thanks.
I'm mostly looking for a high-quality sedan. I'm looking for a sophisticated, luxurious car more than anything else. I'm not really looking at power or anything too much, because if I like the car enough, I'll definitely have fun driving it.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:19 PM

10,900 posts, read 23,173,761 times
if you late to the certified pre-owned market of car your options and type of car goes up to the BMW 3-5 series, mercdes C-class, infinity G-37, some newer jaguar models, Caddilic CTS and DTS and so on

Old 07-03-2011, 07:51 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,339,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker19 View Post
Soon, I'll be getting my mom's old car: 2009 Honda Civic EX-L. It's fully loaded with leather, GPS, etc. I hate the car with a fiery passion (touchy acceleration/steering, hard to see out of). I want to trade it in for something else, but I'm not 100% sure what for.
I have several ideas. I'm prepared to hand over about $3,000 to $8,000 to upgrade when I do trade it. I have several ideas, but I'm not sure which is the best option or whether or not I have enough money to get what I'm looking for.
I want the car to have the leather and GPS, too. Here are my ideas for the used cars:
-Honda Accord
-Toyota Camry
-Acura TSX/TL
-Lexus ES/GS

I also want the car to be no older than the 2007 model year.

What do you guys think?
Accord and Camry are generic and boring in every way imaginable.

Lexus ES is a really nice Camry, also boring.

You're not going to find an '07 or newer TL or GS in your price range, unless it has very high mileage on it.

You can find a TSX, but I don't see how it's going to be significantly different than an Accord or the Civic you want to trade. Entry level Japanese cars are not exciting at all, at least to me. And they're all FWD.

Given your criteria and my driving preferences, I'd be looking for a G35 or G37 Infiniti. Very nice cars, reliable, RWD. Your budget will get stretched to find one, but I think ti's a step above anything else you listed in your budget.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:32 AM

3,293 posts, read 6,999,902 times
LOL, i have a buddy @ work who's going through the exact same dilemma, dad gave him a year old car (boring Japanese 4dr compact) and he's wanting to replace it with a new "luxurious" car w/o really knowing what the luxury items are.

a 3 series BMW is NOT a luxury car...a 5 series is much closer to being true luxury. Even though the 3 series can be equipped with some nice features, you'll be hard pressed to find most small coupes/sedans that don't have heated seat options, gps options (most better than i-drive in BMW), I-pod/MP3 adapters, multi-CD in dash changers, Blue Tooth connectivity, steering wheel radio controls, etc...these are just about all optional from every manufacturer around the country. The sporty ride of the BMW 3 series is really what takes it from any "near luxury" level and puts it into the sport sedan market that it owns so well.

As to what to buy, as stated, i'd skip most of your list, save the TL. Based on KBB, depending on any other options, mileage, and condition you might nab $17k on your trade, so that would put you in the 20k-25k range for your next purchased. But within 250 miles of St. Louis there's only 1 Acura TL under 25k that's also a 2009 model...nothing newer.

And it really sucks to trade in a newer vehicle for an older one. You might be hard pressed to find 2009 ish BMW's in your price range as well, ones a few years old are out there a dime a dozen and it wouldn't be hard to find one in your range. But trying to get one with options loaded on might be difficult as well.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Well, where I am, I am seeing dozens of loaded cars that are a year or two older, and in my price range. Some of them are slightly out of my budget, though, but I think I'll be able to swing it. My mom is a negoiator for a living, so I think she could get a $30,000 car down to my range.
But, I am getting the guilt factor from the prospect of trading in a '09 for a '07 or '08.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:20 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,419,702 times
Definitely go test drive a new Kia Optima. Just bought one last night and nothing could touch it for ~$21,000 (EX model). Plus 5yr/60k bumper2bumper and 10yr1000k powertrain warranty.

The base EX model has leather, power driver seat, sattellite radio, bluetooth (phone and music), keyless start (love this), digital dual climate controls, ambient lighting, and the normal stuff. You can get heated/cooled seats and a huge sunroof for $2400 more.

I was pleased with the lowly 200HP 2.4 engine, rated at 23/35 and 0-60 in 7.9 secs.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263778_768341445821_40012926_37264310_1735147_n.jp g (broken link)
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268025_768276505961_40012926_37262862_6481987_n.jp g (broken link)

Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
You seem like someone that has probably been given alot in life, and I wonder how thankful you are for it. There wasn't one shred of thankfulness towards your mother, for her giving you this car in the info you provided. Everything is how fast you can get rid of the car. A car that you can't stand that many people would jump at. I assume there would be no car payments on it and its only 3 years old. There are so many people that have never been given a 20 year old car, let alone a 3 year old Honda that is loaded. Hell there are many people that can no longer afford a junker let alone the car insurance.

I can understand trading for another car if that is what you want to do, but your thread just seemed so thankless and thoughtless. Sort of like what one would expect from the the Beverly Hills kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura