U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:48 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,836,835 times

Advertisements

I have a 2001 Accord with 144k that runs like the day it was new. Only thing other than regular wear and tear (brakes, tires, timing belt) that I replaced was a wheel bearing, and the power window regulator on the drivers' side is currently shot...but that's it. I'm convinced Honda makes the best cars, hands down. Its long since been paid for and still looks great, and I was planning on running it until the wheels fell off, but I fell into a great deal on a late-model CR-V, so its going on the selling block. Maybe a good thing, before things start to go on the Accord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 01:27 PM

14,780 posts, read 35,873,121 times
Buying any older/higher mileage car all comes down to the history, regardless of make/model. If the car has been meticulously maintained and had all necessary preventative maintenance done and common fail/wear items have been replaced it could be a good car for quite sometime. More often than not though, people selling cars like that are selling them because they are in good running order (engine and trans work fine), but the rest of the car has some serious issues cropping up. Everything from wheel bearings and suspension components to power window/lock regulators and electrical problems.

So, research the pedigree of the car and if it has been well maintained and common issues addressed and everything on the car works, it may be worth rolling the dice. If the owner can only show you oil change receipts and when they bought tires, I would run away. Regardless of make at 300k miles, there are plenty of things that simply wear out that need to addressed.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM

14,160 posts, read 44,716,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Question for you guys. I need a car to last me about a year while I save up some money for a nicer 2nd car. Would you even chance it on a 1993 Honda Accord with 300,000 miles? Or is it just too risky. I know 300,000 just sounds crazy (as my wife keeps telling me), but I've heard this things go past 400,000. Any insight?
If it passed CA SMOG recently, take a look at the paperwork - if it's well within spec for emissions, no reason to think the engine is all that worn.

Also depends on how willing you are to tolerate/how able you are to fix small issues, windows that move slow or not at all, etc.

At 300K for example it may be on a replacement clutch rather than original if a stickshift. Probably the half-shafts have been replaced a couple of times or more.

If this one has a timing belt, figure out how much life is left in that, can you DIY this maintenance or will you have to pay a shop?

I have over 200K on 3 different cars (82 Scirocco, 87 Camry, 92 Legacy (Suby)) - all 3 run right, don't burn oil, etc.

You need to examine the actual condition of the vehicle, not try to divine that from year and mileage.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 PM

3,383 posts, read 7,104,906 times
I wouldn't touch it... Even if engine and tranny are good, the rest of the car will be crap. Just a lesser known seem to be pretty bullet proof and frugal, old late 90s saturns.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,526,047 times
If it's 500 or less take it if it shifts fine and runs decent. If not keep looking. I bought my '94 celica last August with 196k miles and it still runs awesome with 217k miles.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,926,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I have a 2001 Accord with 144k that runs like the day it was new. Only thing other than regular wear and tear (brakes, tires, timing belt) that I replaced was a wheel bearing, and the power window regulator on the drivers' side is currently shot...but that's it. I'm convinced Honda makes the best cars, hands down. Its long since been paid for and still looks great, and I was planning on running it until the wheels fell off, but I fell into a great deal on a late-model CR-V, so its going on the selling block. Maybe a good thing, before things start to go on the Accord.
Anything over 500.00 is to rich for my blood. I don't care what kind of ultra dependable gas powered vehicle we're talking about, 300k is about used up in my opinion. I would look for something around 75,000-150,000. I also like to look for vehicles I can work on or at least perform some basic repairs my self without having hire a mechanic.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 AM

281 posts, read 842,675 times
300k is just way too much. Get one in the 100's, like others in this thread have already suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura