U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,682,650 times

Advertisements

BTW, I also rented a 09 Malibu around 3 years ago for a week, and I clearly remember how nice that car was. If given a choice, I'd definitively choose the Chevy over the Accord for multiple of reasons.

The 4 cylinder in that thing was quick! Also the interior build even in the base model was solid. Sure some plastics were cheap, but not nearly as bad as in the Accord. The dash in the Malibu felt well put together, and everything just felt tight, which wasn't the case on the previous gen Malibu's.

The absolute best aspect of the Malibu was how smooth riding it was, and it's the overall silence. It was like driving in a tomb, no wind noise, and the road noise was luxury car quiet. The only complaint I had against the Malibu was how bad it did on gas, it got horrible MPG's. I think it's because of the weight of the car which hovered around 3,500lbs for that year. The 4 had to work harder and rev higher which burnt more fuel I'm guessing.

I honestly cannot understand why more people didn't buy these cars. But yeah, there is still a large segment of the population that will not even consider buying an American car. A majority of them are Asian drivers and European transplants to the US, no offense, and of course a few Americans sprinkled in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,674,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
BTW, I also rented a 09 Malibu around 3 years ago for a week, and I clearly remember how nice that car was. If given a choice, I'd definitively choose the Chevy over the Accord for multiple of reasons.

The 4 cylinder in that thing was quick! Also the interior build even in the base model was solid. Sure some plastics were cheap, but not nearly as bad as in the Accord. The dash in the Malibu felt well put together, and everything just felt tight, which wasn't the case on the previous gen Malibu's.

The absolute best aspect of the Malibu was how smooth riding it was, and it's the overall silence. It was like driving in a tomb, no wind noise, and the road noise was luxury car quiet. The only complaint I had against the Malibu was how bad it did on gas, it got horrible MPG's. I think it's because of the weight of the car which hovered around 3,500lbs for that year. The 4 had to work harder and rev higher which burnt more fuel I'm guessing.

I honestly cannot understand why more people didn't buy these cars. But yeah, there is still a large segment of the population that will not even consider buying an American car. A majority of them are Asian drivers and European transplants to the US, no offense, and of course a few Americans sprinkled in between.
The Malibu is very similar to the Toyota Camry in terms of the way it rides and drives-- both are different than the Accord.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,308,230 times
I don't know but the Honda Accord interior seems of much higher quality then Malibu interior

Accord;

Malibu;

Old 05-23-2012, 02:15 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,734,069 times
Both are pretty bad, aesthetically speaking.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,682,650 times
Well the both base model cars I drove, overall the Malibu had a higher quality feel, and everything felt more tightly put together vs the Accord. When I would hit the door panel with my fist from the inside, it had a hollow sound, not so in the Malibu, you didn't hear noise feedback, just a nice thunk. Also the Malibu interior has real metal door handles, the Accord is plastic.

The wood trim on the dash in the picture above in the Accord felt like it wanted to come off when barely pressed on in the base model I had, which was painted a different color. I remember when driving the Malibu, the interior never made a sound, no rattles or creaks from anything, the Accords dash plastics would creak and pop, it just didn't have that high quality feel of Honda's in the previous gens.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,733,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
My fiancee owns a 2008 (current generation) Accord 4 cylinder sedan. After having read how great Accords are in the media for years, and their reputation around the net, I have to say I am greatly disappointed in this car.
I know, these are small issues. As I said, i do think it is a good car. I just do not see what makes this one of the best mid size sedans money can buy. It doesn't really stand out anywhere.
I'm still unsure why this thing is always on Car and Driver's list. Loud, horrible interior and the drivetrain is nothing to write home about. With a few options, it puts itself in BMW price territory.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM

263 posts, read 710,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I'm still unsure why this thing is always on Car and Driver's list.
money

Old 06-11-2012, 08:36 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,870,480 times
I test drove a 2009 Accord and a 2005 Accord. For $7K less than the 09 I was able to get a V6 '05 with Leather, Sunroof, Heated Seats, No Nav. I like the way the 05 drives better than the 09, IMO. It seems to shift better and have a sportier feel. I have no complaints of the interior.

It has soft touch materials almost everywhere, and is light beige in color. I hope to keep this car for 200+K miles.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:56 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,700,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I drove a 2011 Accord with the 4cyl. While it was a nice car, and comfortable, there is no way I would ever buy one with the 4cyl in it. It was like driving a car powered by a diseased hamster. No power at all, even compared to our 4cyl Camry (was in the bodyshop at the time), and certainly not compared to my Jeep. I would definitely have to get it with the V6 and a few options.

That said, I probably wouldn't buy it - If i was going to get another sedan, it would either be an Audi (AWD) or the Ford Fusion. I've driven a few of those and they're fantastic.
I drove a 2012 friend owns on a trip and its has alot of power and we got good mileage. I own a 6 cvl camry and was impressed by the 4 cyl. accord.Definitely at least as good as 4 cyl camry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura