U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM

400 posts, read 1,513,713 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Maybe 1 year ago I changed the front two tires of my Honda Accord 2008. Now, it is time to change the rear tires. Should I just purchase 2 rear tires and install them in the rear side OR should I remove the front tires and put them in rear and then put the NEW tires in the front?

I am asking it because most of the weight of the car is on the front due to engine and it might be good idea that if the front tires are NEW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 02:23 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,463,523 times
If you install the new tires on the front, and move the previously replaced tires to the rear - there is a good chance that the four of them will be about due for replacement at the same time.

If you install the new ones on the rear, the fronts will probably need replacement next and you'll buy two (again). Depending on the tire quality you buy - the new rears could last a long time.

It is really your choice.

I generally do not rotate my tires. I am perfectly happy with uneven front/rear wear and like spending half as much money each time to replace tires.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:32 PM

14,168 posts, read 44,724,307 times
Depends on where you live, OP. If you live where there is snow and or heavy rain, you are probably better off with the deeper tread of the new tires on the rear. If not, and this is just my approach, keep in mind I live in a desert area, and don't drive in heavy traffic, and am pretty experienced - I would put the new tires on the front, but once they wore down to be even with the rears, I would start rotating them. Be aware if you have deeper tread on the front of the car that it will have a tendency to break the rear wheels loose first under heavy braking in rain or snow, (which is a good way to initiate a spin) so manage this risk intellegently. For me when there is no snow on the ground around here, what rain we get is seldom enough for tread depth to make a significant difference in traction, and in my rural driving environment the imperative to brake hard and stay in my own lane does not come up much, compared to say Atlanta, GA when it's raining and you run up into a jam on the interstate - there I would put the deeper tread on the rear axle...

I do my own tire rotations, while I have the tires off the car I take a good hard look at each brake assembly. For the cars I drive in winter, I have a set of dedicated snows on their own wheels, so when the summer or all-season tires come off, it's not that much extra effort to put them back on the car rotated (I mark each tire with a tire crayon on the tread with the position it was in when on the car - RR, RF, LR, LF - like that - and put them back on per rotation pattern for FWD, RWD, or AWD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or