U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,306,720 times

Advertisements

Honda plus is barely a luxury car today, on par with Buick. Ugly as sin, far behind in technology with no vision for the future, no performance, no great MPG, whats the point?

Shame, the NSX and Legend/Integra were sweet cars. The 3rd gen TL was sweet.

And damn they are UGLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 03:46 PM

795 posts, read 1,231,281 times
Acura's are expensive and bland. It is the only luxury car maker I would never consider buying from.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:56 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,525,017 times
Acura has lost some of its luster along with Honda in general. But they are well made, very reliable, hold their resale value well, and a good value in their category.

I think the MDX and the TSX V6 are the best current Acura vehicles. The TL is a fine vehicle, but the pre-2012 styling was a bit too much. The RDX is a nice compact SUV, but the turbo 4 doesn't have notable fuel economy for its power.

I would choose an MDX over a BMW X5 non V8 or M-B ML.

Hopefully the new NSX announcement is a sign of new energy at the company.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,407,110 times
It depends upon where one lives with Acura popularity. On the East Coast and in Southern California is where I see most Acuras. The main selling point is reliability, as they are infinitely less fussy in terms of service and maintenance than the Mercedes and BMW competition, without being devoid of a degree if handling, much mire than the majority if Lexus which are soft and bland. The design exercise as of late has produced some admittedly odd looking vehicles, but the revised beak does seem to be a step in the right direction. The RL was not designed as a market leader in sales, rather more of a niche vehicle for an Acura buyer who wants something larger than the TL. Acura does not compete in the flagship class of the limited S Class, 7 Series, and Audi 8, so while that is seen as a detriment, the profits are not as great. Honda is not attracting a trickle-down buyer with Acura, who may not want a flagship; rather, Honda has focused on keeping customers loyal as they progress to larger/ more expensive vehicles in the brand family.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,418,656 times
Used to love them in the 90's when they had the Legend, Vigor, and Integra names. Wonder why they dumped them for the boring and confusing TL, RL, TSX?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 PM

613 posts, read 904,609 times
I own a 2006 TL. I love it besides oil changes and fluids never had a problem with it. Im coming up on 100k prob get another 100k out of it and buy another. Best car I ever owned

Old 01-17-2012, 05:29 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,420,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Used to love them in the 90's when they had the Legend, Vigor, and Integra names. Wonder why they dumped them for the boring and confusing TL, RL, TSX?
I was a fan of the Legend as well... I always wanted it... however, by the time I was old enough to get one, it was discontinued.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:30 PM

471 posts, read 1,349,336 times
Hate to jump on the bad-styling bandwagon, but I also dislike most current models' styling, especially the TL which to me looks like some kind of car/spaceship hybrid. The RL, while crammed with all kinds of hi-tech features and a gutsy V-6, isn't unattractive, to me it it's just....pleasant looking, like a basic midsize sedan with expensive options heaped on it, which probably isn't what most luxury car buyers are looking for. And the lack of a V-8 probably turns off the typical S-class and Lexus LS owner.

Probably my favorite Acura was an "oldie", the 1991–1995 Legend Coupe. A big (for an import) and brawny looking car with slick but not trendy styling. I still like the looks of them today. And while they weren't rear-wheel drive, I wouldn't be embarrassed driving one.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:42 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,306,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Well Acura never was well thought out so they used names like non-luxury brands. THe thing is the names were more popular then Acura. People would say "legend" or "integra" instead of Acura. So in a classic dumb Acura move, they drop the names and come up with random names that mean nothing. Then they are constantly discontinuing cars and changing the styling. So no one knows what the hell an Acura is after 25 years.

The first was dropping Vigor for TL...The cars continue to be a Honda Legend elsewhere but they are Acura RLs here. The TSX is a Euro Accord. The CSX is a rebadged Civic and used to be the Acura EL. Now they are going to drop TSX for a ILX.

They should just stop trying and badge them Hondas like the Legend and compete with Hyundai/Buick.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,493,067 times
I think that they are very good cars that have a good image, high quality, and the right options. The styling is a big issue with a lot of people who responded, and it is for me also.

I've had plenty of European maintenance queens, to the point where I'm kind of over it. Between features and quality, Acura has a good thing going. I can see the value in that. But there are other good cars with nice features. There are a lot of good comments in this thread. I'm going to give some reputation points. Things like "styling is off", and "lost its way" are kind of how I feel about it. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura