U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 PM

5,012 posts, read 5,896,090 times

Advertisements

I've owned 2 acuras in my life. A 1991 Acura legend sedan, and a 2001 Acura 3.2 TL. Both were great cars with that also came with major issues. The legend was notorious for head gasket issues, and the 3.2 TL was notorious for transmission failure. The latest Acura's are just ugly as sin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:15 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,374,949 times
I have always been a fan of Honda as I have owned two Civics, a '97 and '06. The RSX was out of my price range and I was disappointed when that model was discontinued. Since the RSX was discontinued, it seems like Acura got lost in the mix with the other upscale Japanese brands and the street tuner was left out. If I were to buy a new car, I would take a long hard look at the new Scion Fr-S.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:46 PM

72 posts, read 145,785 times
The reliability is even better than Honda; the factory workers have more time per part than they do when building Hondas. Acura's are very reliable cars.

Other than that, there is literally no reason to buy an Acura that I can possibly imagine. I say this as a former Honda tech who has worked on many and owned a TSX for many years.

The driving experience is pathetic, loose, non-sporty and boring. None of them are efficient. The safety scores on Acura's are pretty terrible considering Honda's, as a brand, are the safest cars in the world (I have no idea how they managed to screw that up. it would be forgivable if Acuras had sexy lines that took precident over safety. But Acura's are hideously ugly according to the aesthetic of...everyone?)

They aren't particularly efficient, fast or fun. The technology is weak. The "worst in class" SH AWD system was cool and interesting around the time Terminator was released. The weird steering feel. The terrible Honda automatic transmissions. The uncomfortable seats. They are pretty expensive cars, and Acura dealers are notoriously unwilling to negotiate.

I could go on.

Oh ya, the manual transmission clutch is excellent. So there is that.

Acura sales numbers are terrible but I don't understand how they aren't worse. Until the domestics finally rid themselves of the self-inflicted stereotype and prove that their latest generation is a 180 in terms of build quality and reliability- and I believe it is- people will continue to buy Hondas. Particularly older folks who have been burned by American manufacturers in previous generations.

Honda has awful leadership ATM. I can see Honda not existing in 15 years. I really can. It's that bad internally from what I gather.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:44 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,253,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Sorry but I disagree. I think many buyers with $40-50K to spend will shop cars like the TL against the CTS. Platform doesn't matter as much as you think. Enthusiasts care much more about which wheels are driven - and many buyers of these cars are not enthusiasts. Some are - like a CTS-V buyer.

And some Cadillacs are not remotely luxury quality. They are repurposed GM vehicles with more bling. The lettering still fades away on the radio buttons after three years. The DTS is still a grandpa car. The Escalade is hideous.

I think Acura buyers are first and foremost import buyers. And getting them to shop Buick is a stretch. Buick is doing much better, but I think the person who shows up in a Buick dealer currently drives an American car.

Picking the RL is rather silly since everyone knows it is a tired car. It is clearly out of favor. It is a good car to buy used because of that.
You may disagree all you like but that doesn't change what is accurate.

Buyers who spend between $40K-$50K rarely give Acura a glance. The TL is NOT competitive in the luxury vehicle class PERIOD, it simply isn't. You may disagree with this but the fact is the TL is a near-luxury vehicle competing in the near-luxury segment of vehicles. An Acura buyer is one who likely owned/owns a Honda and wants something with a bit better materials, bit better fit, etc and step into an Acura because they like the Honda brand. The Acura brand isn't going to win over any Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, Lexus buyers. These five brands and vehicles within these 5 brands are cross-shopped, Acura doesn't make it into this class.

The Cadillac DTS was discontinued in 2011, replaced now by the 2013 Cadillac XTS. All of Cadillac's CURRENT lineup of vehicles ARE luxury vehicles even if you don't care for the Escalade...it's still a luxury SUV.

Acura may want to fit in with higher priced brands but at this point in time, it simply doesn't. The only vehicles Acura sells with any regularity is the inexpensive TSX and the near-luxury TL, I still really don't understand how the brand is around. Maybe some day Acura will be more competitive with other vehicles but at this point in time, it's not.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,295,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge07 View Post
Acura is more reliable and more luxurious than a BMW. Sit inside a bmw and acura before you talk, then let me know what you think. All BMW's over 100k miles ive driven run like crap.
You can't be remotely serious. A BMW is far more luxurious and they are getting more reliable. Acura barely is average in most quality surveys. People that buy Acura's are mostly Honda owners or

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Honda quality? Honda has had their share of problems as of late, domestic automakers are starting to eclipse Japanese competition in terms of quality and reliability. And Acura is NOT a "true" luxury automaker; nobody places Acura is line with other full luxury makes. Basically Acura is on par with Buick, Infiniti, and Lincoln when it comes to the type of automobiles they produce.

And Acura's have a higher depreciation rate than many other makes. The slowest depreciating luxury brands (if you still believe Acura produces a luxury automobile) are Lexus and Audi with Cadillac nipping at their heels. Acura isn't even in the top five.

AWD? Not even a luxury feature anymore. Bluetooth technology? My F-150 has that. Concert quality sound? Please, stop reading from the brochure.

If you truly want tech features, look at some of the items in the newer Mercedes, Cadillac, and Audi models; Acura is WAY behind in tech features for the price.

You're either a fan boy or just ignorant of the current market status of Acura. It's not a true luxury brand, doesn't have true luxury features, and competes with the likes of Buick, Lincoln, and Infiniti as a near-luxury brand name.
This post is 100% on point. Look at the articles

Idiots want to keep the beak even as no one likes it
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...306189976/1117

Honda/Acura sucks
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...306119994/1117

Acura sucks and is average
THE*AUTOEXTREMIST - Rants - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

Acura top 10 ugly cars
Acura TL | Top 10 Ugly Cars | Automotive.com

Honda plots Acura to stop sucking so bad
Honda Plots Acura Sales Revival - WSJ.com

Acura lost edge
Has Acura lost its edge? Sales up, but image muddled

Acura doesn't like darkskinned blacks
Acura apologizes for 'not too dark' casting | HLNtv.com

Acura not luxury brand
Acura finds sales, still seeks luxury identity - Autoweek

Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM

4,239 posts, read 6,012,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
You may disagree all you like but that doesn't change what is accurate.

Buyers who spend between $40K-$50K rarely give Acura a glance. The TL is NOT competitive in the luxury vehicle class PERIOD, it simply isn't. You may disagree with this but the fact is the TL is a near-luxury vehicle competing in the near-luxury segment of vehicles. An Acura buyer is one who likely owned/owns a Honda and wants something with a bit better materials, bit better fit, etc and step into an Acura because they like the Honda brand. The Acura brand isn't going to win over any Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, Lexus buyers. These five brands and vehicles within these 5 brands are cross-shopped, Acura doesn't make it into this class.

The Cadillac DTS was discontinued in 2011, replaced now by the 2013 Cadillac XTS. All of Cadillac's CURRENT lineup of vehicles ARE luxury vehicles even if you don't care for the Escalade...it's still a luxury SUV.

Acura may want to fit in with higher priced brands but at this point in time, it simply doesn't. The only vehicles Acura sells with any regularity is the inexpensive TSX and the near-luxury TL, I still really don't understand how the brand is around. Maybe some day Acura will be more competitive with other vehicles but at this point in time, it's not.

Isn't the TL priced with an out the door price south of 40,000? That is much cheaper than BMW. The TL and the TSX are their bread and butter sedans. The RL is too dated. Acura is around because there are people who want something nicer than a Honda and can't pay BMW bucks. I would think that the Infiniti is a better comparison. Infiniti has a nice product that is cheaper than BMW. Maybe Acura doesn't want to compete with BMW.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,037 times
I've had a Honda civic, an acura mdx, and an acura tl. I sold the civic at 11 years old, im not sure of the status of that one. the mdx I sold after 10 years and 175k miles, still running smooth. the tl is running fine at 9 years old with 130k miles. these cars are meant to last

Old 11-19-2013, 02:43 PM

15,354 posts, read 19,046,647 times
They drive OK, but are some of the ugliest cars on the road and the interiors are cheesy/plasticky.

None of the Japanese luxury brands appeal to me anymore. They did in the 90's, but now if I'm going luxury... it'll be European (or maybe a Tesla).

Old 11-19-2013, 02:45 PM

2,613 posts, read 5,813,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdry788 View Post
these cars are meant to last
I agree.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:56 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,457,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
They drive OK, but are some of the ugliest cars on the road and the interiors are cheesy/plasticky.

None of the Japanese luxury brands appeal to me anymore. They did in the 90's, but now if I'm going luxury... it'll be European (or maybe a Tesla).
I don't think most Acuras have cheesy interiors. They use plastic as do all cars. But their electronics are good without dumb joysticks or stupid touchscreens. Not as nice as Lexus or German, but also not as expensive.

The engines are smooth, reasonably powerful, and very reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura