U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 AM

3,819 posts, read 8,886,942 times

Advertisements

in a similar line, we had an FJ when they first came out, had to run premium. And it had what i thought to be the exact same motor (with slightly different tune) as in the 4-runner and that ran regular.
But yes i'd say if the engine has a turbo and the factory lists premium, then run premium. It just comes with the territory on some rides
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,295,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
The new ILX is pretty much a luxary Civic, I'm surprised that it will also require premium gas given the engine lineup.
I cannot believe how terrible it is. MPG is terrible for an econo-car...worse than the Accord, let alone an Elantra, Focus, etc

Moderator cut: Off Topic/Unnecessary, you've already presented this argument

Last edited by TheViking85; 02-08-2012 at 12:46 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 35,873,121 times
The reason the Acura's all require premium is that they run higher compression ratios then their Honda counterparts. The Japanese premium brands have tended to do this for a while. Take the same engine, increase compression and/or timing and get a horsepower bump and change over to premium fuel. Lexus was the first to buck this trend when they switched the ES350 back to regular gas, with a corresponding slight power drop.

As others have said, the ever increasing use of direct injection is reversing this trend, where cars can run high compression ratios and more aggressive timing, while still using regular gas. Engines like the SkyActiv introduced by Mazda are DI and use regular despite very high compression ratios. Hyundai took the same direction with the Sonata turbo, designing it to run on regular do to the advantages of DI.

Honda, of course, is the only mainstream manufacturer that has flat out stated that they won't be adopting DI technology anytime soon, so don't expect Acura's running around on regular anytime soon.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,460,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Honda, of course, is the only mainstream manufacturer that has flat out stated that they won't be adopting DI technology anytime soon, so don't expect Acura's running around on regular anytime soon.
Not true. Honda has announced DI and it is expected to appear in the next year or two.

Car and Driver Blog Honda Finally Adds Direct Injection to Its V6 and Four-Cylinder Engines

Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,822,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Not true. Honda has announced DI and it is expected to appear in the next year or two.

Car and Driver Blog Honda Finally Adds Direct Injection to Its V6 and Four-Cylinder Engines
Wow... that would be cool, no?

Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 PM

Not sure why you are SOOOO negative on Honda. BMW has had DI for just five years in the US, and they have had many problems with the high pressure fuel pump. Infiniti's first DI engine was introduced in 2010. So yes Honda is a bit late to market with DI. But they were first in the US with variable valve timing, one of the very first with PGM-FI (from F1), and the first to use titanium in the engine.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:37 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,824,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Do all Acuras take premium gas? I'd figure since it was made by Honda, it would have better gas/octane levels like my Accord.
As will the next RDX, which will be using a 3.5/V6, likely shared with Odyssey. However, the Acura will ask for premium while the Honda will be rated with regular. Acura version usually gets rated on premium along with better power and torque curves.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
As will the next RDX, which will be using a 3.5/V6, likely shared with Odyssey. However, the Acura will ask for premium while the Honda will be rated with regular. Acura version usually gets rated on premium along with better power and torque curves.
Honda, like Nissan, uses the same basic engine in various flavors.

The 3.5L in the Odyssey has 248 HP, is SOHC iVTEC, and has a 10.5:1 compression ratio. It also has VCM (turns off cylinders at times).

The 3.5L in the RDX is supposed to be the same as the V6 in the TSX. It has 280 HP, SOHC VTEC, and has a 11.2:1 compression ratio.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:36 PM

14,780 posts, read 35,873,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I missed that one, thanks for the link and info. So, it looks like we might see some DI Honda engines in the next couple years. FWIW, while it sounded like I might have been kind of knocking on them for not using it, I don't blame them one bit for waiting and trying to get it "right".

Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,445,530 times
That makes plenty of sense; Honda has always had a reputation of being a leader and/or very agressive in technology-related matters, and jumping into the DI arena makes plenty of sense, even if some of their competitors have already beaten them to it.

It's not very easy to admit a mistake or stick with an underwhelming product such as the new Civic, and I'm also glad that a new one could be out next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or