U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 3 days ago)

9,771 posts, read 21,082,654 times

Advertisements

I think Nissan's quality the past 10 years is very similar to Honda or Toyota. Their cars back in the 80s and early 90s were good but a little less reliable. Personally I like the exterior design of Nissan's current lineup better than Toyota or Honda by a long shot. The new Civic especially is just hideously bland. (I park next to one when I visit my gf). It's also amazing that the Civic doesn't come as a hatchback given the popularity of the compact hb's right now. Honda Fit is a good deal smaller than Versa, Matrix, or Mazda 3, it competes with the Yaris.

I have a Nissan Versa with 40,000 miles that has had zero problems so far. If that changes I'll let you all know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 09:41 PM

21,303 posts, read 11,522,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderduder View Post
Because Nissan has a horrific reputation for reliability, mediocre safety scores and general ugliness, and Honda Accords are probably the most reliable vehicles ever with world class safety scores.

So there is that.
Really? Nissan has a horrible reputation for reliability?

So what do you think of Ford and GM? Talking out of your arse I think.

I have nothing against Honda accords. In my book they are in there with Camry's, Malibu's and anti-depressants. Nothing special.

Stupid post of the day nomination.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,794,644 times
Why can't people disagree without calling each other stupid? Really not necessary.

That said, people have different priorities. Some want flash. They want cars that look cool, are packed to the gills with the latest features, are fast as hell, all that good stuff. But that's all Initial impression stuff. Do you really care how nice the plastic in the dash is if it's in the garage AGAIN?

Some people like me, don't want to worry about that. And reading this forum, EVERYONE is on the same page as Honda and Toyota. If you like there cars, suddenly they are as reliable as the best when it comes to reliability.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 AM

1,617 posts, read 4,690,651 times
Everyone's cars are so good in this century, that every recent car of every brand "has been the most reliable car" that anyone in the interweBz has evAr owed, evAr!

As I said, we grade on a very high curve now.

Honda has their time-bomb transmissions, Toyota has their sludgy engines ("but that's just maintenance" if it's a Honda or Toyota, because we like them and they're reliable ), GM has their *hitty interiors, and BMW has Idrive (just kidding), but they all more or less get the job done day in and day out, with a minimal amount of maintenance and repairs, for more years and miles than ever before.

(New cars also protect their occupants in a crash better than just 10 years ago, and especially before 1997 with the new side impact standards.)

Old 02-04-2012, 03:49 PM

91 posts, read 150,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That's right. Subaru> Honda for safety and everyone knows it. Volvo & Subaru are leaders in vehicle safety standards and crash test ratings.
We dont' have to debate this. You can read the safety scores here:

Top-Ranked Cars and Trucks | U.S. News Best Cars

It's data compiled by govt and private industry. Honda's are safer as a brand than Subaru's. Significantly.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:53 PM

91 posts, read 150,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Really? Nissan has a horrible reputation for reliability?
Yes they do. You can read JD Power rankings, you can read any number of data you want. I can link all day if you request it but you could just as easily Google this.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:56 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,436,939 times
Quote:
We dont' have to debate this. You can read the safety scores here:

Top-Ranked Cars and Trucks | U.S. News Best Cars

It's data compiled by govt and private industry. Honda's are safer as a brand than Subaru's. Significantly.
Accord rated well above Legacy overall and in safety with a perfect 10.0 safety rating...

I'm sure both are safe cars as cars go, but facts are facts.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Yes they do. You can read JD Power rankings, you can read any number of data you want. I can link all day if you request it but you could just as easily Google this.

I'll link the JD Power rankings for the 2011 model Nissans. Even though it's lower than I expected I don't know how you equate "average" to "horrific" because JD Power rates all Nissan models average for reliability.

So maybe you would like to rethink that "horrific" statement?

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Nissan/2011/

Old 02-04-2012, 07:50 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,379,896 times
I've owned my fair share of Japanese cars.
1990 Prelude Si?
1991 Accord LX
1992 Accord LX
1990 Integra RS
1989 Maxima SE
1991 Maxima SE
1988 Nissan 300ZX
1994 4Runner
1993-Camry LE-Current Daily Driver

My Maximas were very reliable never encountering any problems. I maintained them routinely. The only complaint was the Bose Stereo acted funny sometimes. I took my first road trip in my 1991. Very sporty and great handling and performance.

My Accords were boring, but very reliable. I never second guessed them.

The Prelude was mostly reliable, however I was on my way to a first date and the slave cylinder took a dump.

The Intregra, reminded me of the Prelude. Reliable for the most part. Took a beating, fun to drive. Not the most comfortable for long distance drives.

The 4Runner was another story, it had the 3.0 V6, head gaskets started leaking 2 weeks after I bought it. That gave me a bad taste instantly.

My current car a 1993 Camry has been good, minus a coolant leak recently which has been fixed. I would drive the Camry to Washington and back over to Maine if I had too.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:16 AM

"Horrific" would be a 1986 Yugo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or