Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times

Advertisements

I'd pick a Subaru over a Honda. The new Impreza has gets 36mpg on the highway with AWD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
I'm an 01 Honda Accord owner and the next car I buy will likely be a Nissan or Infiniti. Honda's new lineup is pretty boring. Basically I think Nissan's cars are better looking and the Altima and Accord are similar so why go for just reliable with the Accord when I can get reliable and more imagination with the Altima?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,905,478 times
Nissan's are garbage.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,992 times
Honda has been past its prime. They really don't have anything interesting to offer especially with the Koreans and Americans now trumping them. The accord has been overgrown and the civic is just meh.

However, they look good for used now and will probably last decades.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm an 01 Honda Accord owner and the next car I buy will likely be a Nissan or Infiniti. Honda's new lineup is pretty boring. Basically I think Nissan's cars are better looking and the Altima and Accord are similar so why go for just reliable with the Accord when I can get reliable and more imagination with the Altima?
As a contrarian, I think some of Nissan's newest vehicles are comicly bad, no more so than the Juke. The Rogue is one of the ugliest compact SUVs. The Maxima is not bad, but a bit overdone, like Infiniti's newest. The Altima is benign, just like an Accord, but different. The 370z is an attention getter, but it too is overdone. It is not beautiful.

I love the Armada's styling, but it is a thirsty pig just like all full size SUVs.

How long has it been since the Pathfinder got an update? It is exactly the same as when we shopped them in 2005, six years ago.

I am not anti-Nissan (I own an Infiniti M35). But Nissan is a mixed bag.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 PM

Honda was interesting in about 1999 or 2000 with the Civic SI. You saw them near many of the high schools. A few years later the popularity began to wane as the general blandness of Honda's direction with the lineup took over.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
As a contrarian, I think some of Nissan's newest vehicles are comicly bad, no more so than the Juke. The Rogue is one of the ugliest compact SUVs. The Maxima is not bad, but a bit overdone, like Infiniti's newest. The Altima is benign, just like an Accord, but different. The 370z is an attention getter, but it too is overdone. It is not beautiful.

I love the Armada's styling, but it is a thirsty pig just like all full size SUVs.

How long has it been since the Pathfinder got an update? It is exactly the same as when we shopped them in 2005, six years ago.

I am not anti-Nissan (I own an Infiniti M35). But Nissan is a mixed bag.
What do you think of the Subaru Forester? I hardly see any in Texas, but I seem them everywhere in the Pacific Northwest, Colorado, and New England.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
When I saw the Crossfire, I knew there was something wrong at Honda.
I meant Crosstour

Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 PM

91 posts, read 199,699 times
It depends on what your priorities are. Hondas are undeniably boring. The tech is old. The parts don't seem to be as good as they used to be. I wouldn't buy one.

But, overall as a brand, they are up there with Audi in safety ratings.

I'm a car safety weirdo. I've read a completely unhealthy amount of literature on car safety (IIHS is fine but the death total are the real bottom line).

Honda builds admirably safe vehicles. The Accord is the only vehicle I know- in any class- to receive a 10/10 compound safety score from USNEWS. Even vehicles like the Audi A6- legendary for safety- only got a 9.7. 2005-2008 death totals for Accord drivers was also extremely lower, and by far the lowest in its' class. Forgive me as I don't recall the specific figures.

So there's safety, and there's the fact that should you choose a 4 cylinder with 5 speed manual transmission, your vehicle will almost certainly go 15 years/250K miles with no major repairs.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 PM

91 posts, read 199,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Because Nissan has a horrific reputation for reliability, mediocre safety scores and general ugliness, and Honda Accords are probably the most reliable vehicles ever with world class safety scores.

So there is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura