Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times

Advertisements

I am having trouble with the manual transmission on my '04 Civic. Sometimes when I put the car in reverse(usually cold, but not always) and let out the clutch, it just makes a light, intermittant rattling noise. If I shift through the gears and try again it is usually fine. There are only 73k miles on it, and pretty nice miles too. The dealership wants a thousand bucks to open it up and have a look. Anyone else experienced this with a Honda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 02:40 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Dealer is not the right shop for this. My first step would be to check the lube level, I doubt that's your problem, but it's easy enough to do, and needs doing anyway.

Offhand I would think maybe your shifter is out of adjustment, get your hands on a shop manual or find a good independent shop that can adjust.

Taking this transmission apart is a really stupid and money-grubbing proposal. If there are internal problems with the trans, you can buy a good trans from a boneyard for less than the price of a rebuild kit.

Make certain your clutch is dis-engaging fully and properly, that the slave cylinder is not leaking.

Find yourself a good indy shop and tell that dealer to take a hike.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:50 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Is it dipping down below 500 rpm? Sometimes if my throttle doesn't take and the engine speed goes below 500 rpm, I'll get a rattle which goes away as soon as the revs come back up.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:18 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
get fluid changed first, and maybe consider having the "80K" service done?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:13 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Dealer is not the right shop for this. My first step would be to check the lube level, I doubt that's your problem, but it's easy enough to do, and needs doing anyway.

Offhand I would think maybe your shifter is out of adjustment, get your hands on a shop manual or find a good independent shop that can adjust.

Taking this transmission apart is a really stupid and money-grubbing proposal. If there are internal problems with the trans, you can buy a good trans from a boneyard for less than the price of a rebuild kit.

Make certain your clutch is dis-engaging fully and properly, that the slave cylinder is not leaking.

Find yourself a good indy shop and tell that dealer to take a hike.

Thanks! The dealer suggested a transmission service,(altough early) and I agreed to give it a try. Of course it had no effect. It may even be worse. Then they attempted a $90 diagnostic fee on top. When I asked what my diagnosis was, they just kinda stammered. I removed the car from the dealership and called American Honda. I come from a long line of Honda owners, and have bought more than this one new. They are looking into financially helping out with repair costs for a transmission with relatively so few miles, but I am not hopeful. I am going to look into that shifter adjustment that you speak of. I'll post results.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 21,283 times
I have a 2004 honda civic EX, with similar issues. When accelerating it sounds like playing cards in a bicycle rims, but when down shifting its gets visiously loud. I got a price of $2,140 for a rebuilt tranny and new clutch with a 24,000k or 2 year warrenty. Seems a little steep for me so i think i'll just run it till it dies then save up for some better then stock replacements. I love the body style of these modles, and i can see huge potential in it. i wish i could just get over hauled. you hear me Mr. Foose! I'll probably never find this site again so my email is [email]applecore007@aim.com[/email].

Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranken04 View Post
I have a 2004 honda civic EX, with similar issues. When accelerating it sounds like playing cards in a bicycle rims, but when down shifting its gets visiously loud. I got a price of $2,140 for a rebuilt tranny and new clutch with a 24,000k or 2 year warrenty. Seems a little steep for me so i think i'll just run it till it dies then save up for some better then stock replacements. I love the body style of these modles, and i can see huge potential in it. i wish i could just get over hauled. you hear me Mr. Foose! I'll probably never find this site again so my email is applecore007@aim.com.
your tranny sounds like that? cause it almost sounds like you have a valve tick

Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 20,425 times
sounds like you have a bearing going.. I had the exact sound comming from my tranny.. rebuilt the transmission myself i think 400 all said and done.. took like a week to do tho..

Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,549,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I am having trouble with the manual transmission on my '04 Civic. Sometimes when I put the car in reverse(usually cold, but not always) and let out the clutch, it just makes a light, intermittant rattling noise. If I shift through the gears and try again it is usually fine. There are only 73k miles on it, and pretty nice miles too. The dealership wants a thousand bucks to open it up and have a look. Anyone else experienced this with a Honda?
Sometimes it's hard to put my Accord into reverse. There are times when I do and think it's engaged, let the clutch out and it sounds like it grinds a little. The way to get around this, and the manufacturer suggestion, is to shift it into first and then reverse. So now, I do a quick up-to-first (from nuetral) and over to reverse and no problems.

I wouldn't have it looked at but that's just me.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:35 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
OK finally reading the original post with comprhension - Professor Griff is exactly right, what's going on is you are not fully engaging reverse, and grinding the gears when you let the clutch out.

It would be a good idea to verify that your lube level is correct, but it's probably not a problem.

The dealer is a crook to suggest pulling and disassembling your transmission as a cure - no doubt they would find nothing wrong.

Always engage a synchronized gear (on your Honda, all the forward gears are synchronized) before engaging a non-synchro one (reverse). When it's cold out it may be easier to engage 3rd or even 5th than 1st.

Make sure you are pressing the clutch pedal all the way down and that it's adjusted right (assuming it's a cable clutch - if hydraulic, check the slave cylinder for leaks...) In any case when the car is cold it's important to get the clutch fully dis-engaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura