Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,767,608 times

Advertisements

Hi, I hope some of you who are auto buying experts could help me out - I am in the market for a new Honda Accord (EX or EX-L model). I am flexible with options but it must, must, must have sun or moonroof and XM/Sirius satellite radio. Dont need or care for heated seats or rear view camera.

My budget is around $20-25K, but I can swing up to $30K if necessary (would prefer not to).

I have read other auto sites like Edmunds, True Car.com and Carsdirect.com but some of the posts are old (Jan 2012 and earlier) - from what I have read, it seems some people were able to negotiate as low as $21,500 for a fully loaded Accord (V6-EX-L model). Unfortunately I dont have oodles of hours to read every article either so hoping I can get as much info as possible on this thread that I can use when I start negotiating the price at the dealership.

I am in NYC/Long Island area, and have never dealt with a dealer before (my last car was bought for me by my parents so they did all the negotiating). I dont want to be "fleeced" by a dealer so I dont want to even walk into a dealership without knowing the true invoice price paid for the car. I plan to pay 100% cash but I am willing to finance a portion of the price if I qualify for any rebates or 0% financing.

What is the lowest I could realistically expect to spend for the Accord ? I plan to be getting it by end of this month. Any suggestions or help or recommendations are appreciated!! thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,223,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I have read other auto sites like Edmunds, True Car.com and Carsdirect.com but some of the posts are old (Jan 2012 and earlier) - from what I have read, it seems some people were able to negotiate as low as $21,500 for a fully loaded Accord (V6-EX-L model).
In your dreams. My experience with Honda dealers (I bought a used '07 Honda Accord last year but also looked at some new ones too) is they are extremely cocky right now. $21,500 would be for a base LX model. Pretty much everything at Honda, with the exception of the Pilot (hasn't sold that great lately due to the economy & gas prices) goes for very close to MSRP-- don't expect much of a discount at all. Maybe a few $$$ off. Ever since the Japanese earthquake a year ago there has been a shortage. By now I think all the plants are up and running again, but I don't think the "demand > supply" mentality has changed yet.

If you happen to be interested in the Mazda6 as a possible alternative to the Accord, you will have much more room for negotiation on getting a discount off the sticker price.

I thought the 2013 Accord will be a complete redesign to be released some time later this year?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
In your dreams. My experience with Honda dealers (I bought a used '07 Honda Accord last year but also looked at some new ones too) is they are extremely cocky right now. $21,500 would be for a base LX model. Pretty much everything at Honda, with the exception of the Pilot (hasn't sold that great lately due to the economy & gas prices) goes for very close to MSRP-- don't expect much of a discount at all. Maybe a few $$$ off. Ever since the Japanese earthquake a year ago there has been a shortage. By now I think all the plants are up and running again, but I don't think the "demand > supply" mentality has changed yet.

If you happen to be interested in the Mazda6 as a possible alternative to the Accord, you will have much more room for negotiation on getting a discount off the sticker price.

I thought the 2013 Accord will be a complete redesign to be released some time later this year?
It may have been for the basic LX model - I read so many messages I can't even keep them straight anymore!. I just checked CarsDirect and it gave me a quote of 26-27K for the EX-V6L model (the highest end on the Accord line).

I looked at the Mazda but my husband doesnt like it (the Accord is a compromise, I originally wanted the Acura TL or TSX but my husband refuses to pay over 30K for it, and getting a CPO isn't really his cup of tea). So its Honda. Dont want a Civic because I already drive one (the Accord will be replacing it).

Sad to hear that the Japanese earthquake may result in cocky dealers now..Just my luck!! Dont know about the 2013 models, they will prob be released after June/July - just realized I really just need the 2012 model - I cant wait until July to get a new car unfortunately..I wish I could get the Acura for under $30K but thats not happening unless I win lotto..

Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,200,318 times
Not sure if you looked at the camry or not but, if you want looks the honda is sharper. You should be able to get a accord v6 with that moonroof for 23700 plus ttt. Keep looking. Or, buy it in another state and drive it back if it makes sense with the travel. You don't have to trade so the logistics are easy.

A camry is cheaper and frankly, a better built car. The AC is superior, the transmission better. But if you need style then you will have to shop harder.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,996,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Not sure if you looked at the camry or not but, if you want looks the honda is sharper. You should be able to get a accord v6 with that moonroof for 23700 plus ttt. Keep looking. Or, buy it in another state and drive it back if it makes sense with the travel. You don't have to trade so the logistics are easy.

A camry is cheaper and frankly, a better built car. The AC is superior, the transmission better. But if you need style then you will have to shop harder.

Good luck.
The factory invoice for a 2012 Accord EX V6 is $25.7k ... not sure how you'd get $2k below that w/o major customer/dealer incentives.

The 4-cyl EX (which is plenty quick with 190HP) can be had in my area for $23k ($700 below invoice) all day.

LegalDiva, just take the vehicle price and add TTL (tax, title, license fees) and that's the OTD (Out The Door) price you should be using to negotiate to avoid the silly dealer tricks with fees.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
I recommend that you start shopping in about july when Honda starts their dealer incentives.You will also find if you have good credit the customer incentives often are like 0.9% financing.You should eb able to get factory invoice because that is not dealer cost. Dealer incentives plus holdback make it poosible at end of year to actaully get under invoice depending on location and demand.Large cities are worse place to shop really .

Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,676,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The factory invoice for a 2012 Accord EX V6 is $25.7k ... not sure how you'd get $2k below that w/o major customer/dealer incentives.

The 4-cyl EX (which is plenty quick with 190HP) can be had in my area for $23k ($700 below invoice) all day.

LegalDiva, just take the vehicle price and add TTL (tax, title, license fees) and that's the OTD (Out The Door) price you should be using to negotiate to avoid the silly dealer tricks with fees.
Amen - I don't even talk to them about the cost of the car. I deal in OTD cost. When I bought my Jeep, I didn't even SEE the cost of the thing until I signed the paperwork. The only number I saw was the cost after TTT. Also, whatever you do, don't haggle based on payment, if you're going that route. Always haggle based on the total cost.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:20 AM

thanks everyone - so I should not even bother bringing in the invoice price for the car? Taxes, Title and License fees are pretty standard from dealer to dealer in my area though, arent they? What should I demand for an OTD price for a '12 Accord EX-L?

I wish I could wait until July but I need to get the car this month. Is that .9% APR financing available at all now ?

Old 03-09-2012, 10:28 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,816,214 times
According to honda.com, 0.9% for 36 months or 1.9% for 60 months. Plus make no first month's payment. Good until April 30th.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,971,621 times
The good thing is you know what you want. I would simply email every dealer within range of where you live and ask for their out the door price for the model and options you want. No need to deal face to face with a salesman to work out the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura