U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM

7,439 posts, read 7,984,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
Just to clarify, the transmission problem has been in 6 cylinder vehicles (all lines) but the 4 bangers are as solid as they come. My current 4 cylinder has close to 200k miles and still going strong.
Google "Honda GSR transmission problems"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,822,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
Just to clarify, the transmission problem has been in 6 cylinder vehicles (all lines) but the 4 bangers are as solid as they come. My current 4 cylinder has close to 200k miles and still going strong.
The transmission in my 2010 Civic with only 18K miles went out last summer. It was under warrany but still..... I was shocked!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,690,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Google "Honda GSR transmission problems"
Yeah, dumping the clutch at 8,000 RPM every few weeks just for the hell of it tends to make this "problem" more likely to surface.

But no dumb 20 year old with a 15 year old Integra has ever done anything like that...

Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,731,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
The transmission in my 2010 Civic with only 18K miles went out last summer. It was under warrany but still..... I was shocked!
I've been seeing more and more of this sort of thing. Yes, the V-6 transmissions are a joke, but now even the 4-bangers are having problems. I'd say it's been going downhill in the last ten years or so.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,715,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
The Honda Civic, a classic Japanese mismatch between front end and rear end styling, has gained quite a bit of volume. The "replica" rear end modeled after a Dodge Neon, hasn't scared off eager buyers.

Agree on the rear bumper. I also wonder if Honda bought surplus leftover Saturn Astra grilles for the 2012 Civic?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM

7,439 posts, read 7,984,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I've been seeing more and more of this sort of thing. Yes, the V-6 transmissions are a joke, but now even the 4-bangers are having problems. I'd say it's been going downhill in the last ten years or so.
And honda so far has kept a lid on it but know more!
The average Joe is starting to realize Honda are not what they use to be.
Also Other car company have now caught up to Honda as far as reliability.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 PM

21,287 posts, read 11,520,139 times
When I saw the Honda Crosstour I knew there was something seriously wrong with that company. I think they may be going out, or be taken over. Look at what the Aztec did to Pontiac and I would argue that the Crosstour is much more ugly than the Aztec.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,731,133 times
They're losing their focus. They're trying too hard. I think they used to be something of a niche company. They had two main models and their variants that were always cooler and sportier than the competition, but not oddball standouts in that respect. They still appealed to the average buyer.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,822,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Yep, exactly! I had never had such an issue with a Civic and I've owned several over the years with very high miles.....

The service manager told me that they've seen quite a few with bad torque converters which is what was wrong with mine. Don't even mention all the dashboard, door panels and other rattlings and random noises!!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 AM

63 posts, read 40,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
And honda so far has kept a lid on it but know more!
The average Joe is starting to realize Honda are not what they use to be.
Also Other car company have now caught up to Honda as far as reliability.
Not according to the data.

Browse Honda - Best Cars & Trucks - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

Consumer Reports, which gathers data from owners, gives most Honda models a 9/10 for reliability. That's wayyyyyyy above the average for every other auto maker on the planet.

They've slipped and their designs are boring. But let's not exaggerate.

And come on guys, anybody who buys a Honda with an automatic transmission expecting it to last forever just didn't do enough research. if you get a Honda, you get a manual.

That said, I wouldn't buy a Honda today. I do agree that ever since we Americans started building them, like most things, they went to crap. Even older Accords of the same model year have totally different reliability ratings based on where they were manufactured. The Japanese Accords last forever, generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura