U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 1 day ago)

9,771 posts, read 21,077,935 times

Advertisements

Honda Accord was the 3rd best selling vehicle in the USA just a couple years ago, last month it fell to 12th!!

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

Anyone know what's up with the slide? Camry is doing very well, now 2nd overall. The Nissan Altima has taken the Accord's usual sales rank just behind the Camry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM

3,067 posts, read 5,299,087 times
Its not keeping up with modern styling and technology. I test drove an accord when I was looking for a new car and it was boring and ugly. It was hardly any fun to drive, it was slow and bulky. I had a 94 Accord and I LOVED it. It was my favorite car to date. It was peppy, roomy, comfortable, and had an amazing stereo.

Honda even admits that its line is boring. See this article.
Honda Admits Civic and Other Cars are "Boring," Plans Refreshed Models for 2013 - WOT on Motor Trend

Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 AM

13,994 posts, read 15,986,717 times
It's about to be replaced, and it wasn't that good of a model even when it first released. Poor quality interior, pretty ugly exterior, bloated, not fun to drive, overpriced.... Basically, Honda forgot to make a Honda on the last Accord (they've been working on that for awhile now). The new Camry is greatly improved, new Fusion is on the way, the Sonata and Optima offer more features for the money, you've got a lot of people downsizing to the more fun compact segment with the Focus, Mazda3, Cruze, etc, etc.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 AM

11,787 posts, read 13,298,141 times
Funny you mentioned that. I just walked by an '11 model on the way in to work and I just shook my head at how awkward it looked to me. All the appeal of the old cars has just been beaten out of it. Accords have never been flashy, but they had their own "cool" factor about them for being so straightfoward and honest without being frilly or swoopy and just plain clean in design. I guess that's just hard to do and maintain even for Honda, unless they did something obvious like let all their old talent go.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 AM

7,288 posts, read 13,441,785 times
Default You meant plummeting

It's an old, mediocre, boring model, and there are newer, better things around. It's a solid, proven car, but having an older design, and it isn't as quick as other more recently released competitors in the same class.

Meanwhile, new models, even those with very questionable designs, gained. Example: The Honda Civic, a classic Japanese mismatch between front end and rear end styling, has gained quite a bit of volume. The "replica" rear end modeled after a Dodge Neon, hasn't scared off eager buyers. Once Honda comes out with a new Accord, the same thing will happen. Even if it's butt ugly.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Honda Accord was the 3rd best selling vehicle in the USA just a couple years ago, last month it fell to 12th!!

Anyone know what's up with the slide? Camry is doing very well, now 2nd overall. The Nissan Altima has taken the Accord's usual sales rank just behind the Camry.
No surprise here. The Accord has just gotten more and more boring over the years. I own a 2001 and would consider upgrading to an 2008/2009 but I'm more favoring the Ford Fusion over the Accord.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 1 day ago)

9,771 posts, read 21,077,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
No surprise here. The Accord has just gotten more and more boring over the years. I own a 2001 and would consider upgrading to an 2008/2009 but I'm more favoring the Ford Fusion over the Accord.
I'll be really interest to see the new look Ford Fusion in person. Looks like a Nissan Maxima in the photos I've seen (and that's a good thing!)

Personally I like the Mazda 6 and Nissan Altima as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM

126 posts, read 356,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Drive one, especially an LX. The road noise with the 4banger is horrible. Their build quality is nowhere near where it should be.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:22 PM

310 posts, read 823,426 times
They look like they have one tire stuck in the 90's. The 2012 Camry, Kia Optima, Hyundai Sonata, and others are all better choices.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:22 PM

14,780 posts, read 35,868,142 times
Honda sales have been sliding for awhile, but I wouldn't put too much stock in Q1 results alone. The Accord will be all new for 2013 and that is certainly hurting its current sales as the old model is even staler then it used to be and they are producing fewer of them. The Camry had a similar sales slide in 2011 before the new model was introduced. There is also some skewing in the numbers as both Toyota and Nissan filled some huge fleet orders for Camry's and Altima's in the beginning of the year which is buoying their sales figures for Q1, expect to see them level off a bit as the year progresses.

Honda certainly needs to do something though and the new Accord needs to be a homerun. Honda sales took a big hit in 2010 before leveling off in 2011, but they are now sliding again and will need their new products to be a success, because the CRV alone isn't going to carry them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura