U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 26,458 times

Advertisements

I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX 5 speed with about 110K miles on it. I was driving out of a parking lot and I heard a loud thud. It sounded like either I hit something/someone or something big moved around in the trunk. After that my car started running really loud. It's loud when at idle, but really load when I give it some gas. I did not hear anything drop from the car and I didn't see anything in the rear-view mirror in the road. Ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 08:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,517 posts, read 54,065,915 times
I can think of several possibilities. Did it also lose power, or have you not tried driving it? One of the most obvious is it threw a spark plug. If the threads were damaged or it wasn't in tight. The other end might be still stuck to the wire
so you can see it pretty easily under the hood.

Another is that something broke inside, like a connecting rod, or a valve was sucked into a cylinder. That would mean a rebuild, but if you ran it too long in that condition it could be damaged beyond repair and need a whole new engine.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I can think of several possibilities. Did it also lose power, or have you not tried driving it? One of the most obvious is it threw a spark plug. If the threads were damaged or it wasn't in tight. The other end might be still stuck to the wire
so you can see it pretty easily under the hood.

Another is that something broke inside, like a connecting rod, or a valve was sucked into a cylinder. That would mean a rebuild, but if you ran it too long in that condition it could be damaged beyond repair and need a whole new engine.
The car did not lose power. I drove it probably 5 miles and it handled fine. The thud came from the back of the car, not from the engine, if that helps.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 AM

5,996 posts, read 13,791,849 times
Could have a broken weld or cracked exhaust piping.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 AM

491 posts, read 1,327,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciejoy View Post
I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX 5 speed with about 110K miles on it. I was driving out of a parking lot and I heard a loud thud. It sounded like either I hit something/someone or something big moved around in the trunk. After that my car started running really loud. It's loud when at idle, but really load when I give it some gas. I did not hear anything drop from the car and I didn't see anything in the rear-view mirror in the road. Ideas?
Your muffler is still attached I assume since you didn't mention it missing and you didn't hear anything drop from the car. It sounds like part of your exhaust system isn't in tack. There maybe a hole in the exhaust system or the loud thud you heard was probably something that fell off the exhaust system and you might have just overlooked it in the rear view mirror while driving. It's possible that you could've ran over part of your exhaust system.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:56 AM

9,918 posts, read 20,470,710 times
Sounds like exhaust problem. If you're certain the noise came from the back, that would fit what you are describing, and the loud running is from a hole/break in the exhaust somewhere in front of the muffler. The pattern is right, it'll sound louder at idle and really loud when you are at speed. Late last year I drove mine with a break in the exhaust. At speed it's actually louder inside the car than outside it seems like! It isn't necessary for anything to fall off or even look wrong to have this noise. I looked under my car and couldn't see where the break was let alone had anything fall off, but it was clearly there.

The exhaust can be replaced in sections, so with any luck cost is just a couple hundred bucks for whatever one segment needs to be replaced.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 PM

18 posts, read 88,631 times
I had a problem like this on my Crown Victoria and it was the exhaust manifold gasket that went bad. I agree with everyone else here that it is most likely a leak somewhere in the exhaust system.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 AM

After driving the car more I could tell that something had come lose and something in the exhaust would occasionally bounce as I drove. That is what the thud was.

I brought the car to the dealer yesterday. He said I needed a new muffler. He said that the section before the oval cylinder that sticks out at the rear of the car had rusted and the two sections had come apart. When you looked closely, you could see the the oval cylinder was tilting. The work order says that they replaced the muffler, gasket and spring bolts. Might I have just needed the spring bolts? I don't know. For some reason I always feel like I get ripped off when I take my car to the dealer. But my experience is that they do the work right more often that small shops. Parts $230 + labor $60.00 = $290.00. Could I have gotten it done for less somewhere else? Maybe. I googled the part numbers on the work order and found a figure that shows them. In the figure, #3 muffler set, #22 is the bolt. Honda online store : 1997 civic exhaust pipe parts

The car runs fine now. Hope this helps someone down the road....

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 AM

2,737 posts, read 4,318,164 times
Quote:
You lost your muffler - or blew a hole in it.

This should not be a difficult problem to diagnose and repair.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:13 PM

9,918 posts, read 20,470,710 times
Quote:
I brought the car to the dealer yesterday. He said I needed a new muffler. He said that the section before the oval cylinder that sticks out at the rear of the car had rusted and the two sections had come apart. When you looked closely, you could see the the oval cylinder was tilting. The work order says that they replaced the muffler, gasket and spring bolts. Might I have just needed the spring bolts? I don't know. For some reason I always feel like I get ripped off when I take my car to the dealer. But my experience is that they do the work right more often that small shops. Parts $230 + labor $60.00 = $290.00. Could I have gotten it done for less somewhere else? Maybe. I googled the part numbers on the work order and found a figure that shows them. In the figure, #3 muffler set, #22 is the bolt. Honda online store : 1997 civic exhaust pipe parts
I dunno, that doesn't sound too bad a cost to me. There could be some aftermarket exhaust parts that would be cheaper. If you knew you weren't going to keep the car too long, I guess that would have been fine. The price is probably the standard price for the official Honda parts.

It's not at all likely that you could have just needed bolts. Even if it was the bolts that failed first, once they failed the muffler would have been damaged. Much more likely, though, the muffler broke first and the new bolts are just because it wouldn't make sense to put back 15-year-old bolts on the underside of the car when you're using them to hold a new $200 part. It's a 14-15 year old car. At that age, parts like this are wear items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura