U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 AM

88 posts, read 609,867 times

Advertisements

Sometimes things fail. Honda does not have a reputation for producing lemons so if they fix it and there are no further concerns then don't worry so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 07:11 PM

136 posts, read 397,149 times
Quote:
they'll fix it under the warranty, no problem! Let us know what happens....
It was the battery. Yes, it was under warranty and Honda replaced it. The service writer said the factory battery was only suppose to last 2 years.
So getting 22 months of 2 years, I was right on schedule. The new battery is supposed to last 2 to 2.5 years. So I marked my calendar 22 months
out to think about replacing my battery if it has not failed yet.

What bothers me is the fact my car only had 19,700 miles on it and 22 months, and the battery failed.
I never had a battery problem in the first 36,000 miles of any of my GM cars I owned for 22 years prior to
buying my Honda. I just wish I had been told to be prepared for a non-starting event close to 2 years.
I fully expect another one before the next 2years based on comments from other friends who own Hondas.

Guess I better expand my AAA coverage to the higher level in case I am further than 100 miles from home the next time it happens.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
It was the battery. Yes, it was under warranty and Honda replaced it. The service writer said the factory battery was only suppose to last 2 years.
So getting 22 months of 2 years, I was right on schedule. The new battery is supposed to last 2 to 2.5 years. So I marked my calendar 22 months

What bothers me is the fact my car only had 19,700 miles on it and 22 months, and the battery failed.
I never had a battery problem in the first 36,000 miles of any of my GM cars I owned for 22 years prior to
buying my Honda. I just wish I had been told to be prepared for a non-starting event close to 2 years.
I fully expect another one before the next 2years based on comments from other friends who own Hondas.

Guess I better expand my AAA coverage to the higher level in case I am further than 100 miles from home the next time it happens.
I'm sorry but I think you are blowing this way out of proportion. It's a dead battery. I've never had my car towed to a shop for a dead battery. I've never thought less about my car for a dead battery. Every 2-3 years it stops working I get another and move on. Who needs to be emotionally prepared for a dead battery??? Seriously.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:50 AM

9,918 posts, read 20,473,878 times
I will say that battery lasting 2 years talk sounds like some BS. If it was truly only the battery and not, for example, a loose connection which is something I was suspecting when it didn't jump start, then I think you just had a bum one originally. It does happen to any manufacturer and potentially anyone who buys any battery. A certain percentage won't do what they are expected to do for the length of time expected, hence battery warranties. Many aftermarket batteries have full replacement warranty if they fail within 2 years.

So what remains is why didn't your car jump start? I suppose it's possible that two different people didn't know how to do it. Did the AAA guy try to jump start it?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 AM

3,938 posts, read 7,518,301 times
Batteries have a finite life. These vary according to manufacturer.

When they say two years, that's an average.
It might last one, it might last twelve.

Sometimes you get warning they are about to fail, sometimes they just go "poof".

Even so called "lifetime" batteries won't last forever, they can't, the laws of physics won't let them. Everyything degrades

Sounds to me like you're over dramatizing things a little.
If I had a dollar for every car I've had which has had a battery fail, I'd own the internet.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 AM

9,918 posts, read 20,473,878 times
There are a lot of variables too. The more really short trips you do, the shorter it will last, generally. Longer trips mean a) fewer starts, which are hard on the battery and b) more time for the battery to recharge from the engine running (alternator). Someone else brought up weather. Etc.

Still I would think less than 2 years as in this case (21-22 months) is notably shorter than average. But it was covered under warranty, which is the most you can expect. The battery may have had a manufacturing defect that shortened its life. Who knows? This stuff happens.

I certainly wouldn't conclude that you'd need another one in 2 years, but it's also not impossible. If you're worried about being stranded, I'd buy a jump starter box and cart it around with you. And learn how to use it properly. This is what I did once my car was about 4 years old and I started wondering when the battery would die. Unfortunately my first jumper box was crap, stopped charging after about 2-3 years, and my car battery continued to last a couple more years after that. The only problem with this type of device is that you need to remember to take it out of the car and charge it periodically, else it will be dead when you need it. But it's handy in that you don't even need an additional car to get a jump start.

Did you ask the dealer why it didn't jump start? What did they say?

It's an unusual failure that I think points more to an atypical battery defect if there was not a loose cable or bad connection at the battery also in the mix here. When a battery is discharged, you should be able to get going with a jump and not need a tow.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 AM

3,938 posts, read 7,518,301 times
If it was a complete failure of the battery resulting in shorted plates, it is theoretically possible to not be able to use jumper cables.

Alternatively, perhaps the OP removed the cabes too quick, or tried to start it before the battery had a chance to get any boost from the jumper battery.

It's all to easy to connect the cables, then turn the key straight away and not get any life, for anyone who doesn't know, it's best to hook up the two cars, and let the healthy car run for a minute or two before trying the dead car

I have had one case in a previous car that the battery failed in such a way that it also wiped out the alternator on the jumper car!
That didn't make me popular !

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's an unusual failure that I think points more to an atypical battery defect if there was not a loose cable or bad connection at the battery also in the mix here. When a battery is discharged, you should be able to get going with a jump and not need a tow.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,048,995 times
Any battery can go bad from a host of things.

Go get a new battery and have the alt tested and a parasitic test performed.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,822,931 times
Quote:

I am sorry but you're blowing this way out of proportion... It's just a battery and its lifespan depends on a lot of various factors. Lets have a little perspective here before freaking out over a battery.... What are you going to do if you have a flat tire tomorrow?

Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Based on your mindset you might want to consider hiring a tow truck to follow you around since your car is such a piece of crap now that it's had a "non-starting event" and it wasn't even two years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura