Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:18 PM

136 posts, read 448,942 times

Advertisements

I bought a new 2011 Honda Accord Coupe Oct. 2, 2010. Today (07/28/12)I went to look at a house for sale 20 miles from my house. When I get back into my car, it would not start.
The realtor and the neighbor both tried to jump the car without any success. It still would not start. Finally called AAA and had it
towed back to the dealership. My car probably only has 20,000 miles on it, maybe less.

Is it normal for a Honda battery to die this quickly? I googled Honda battery problems and was
disheartened to find all kinds of links with Honda battery problems. If I go on a long vacation, do I need to
be concerned the electronics will drain my battery if gone 12 days?

Is my Honda still a reliable car? I am really disappointed to have this situation happen in this short of time-frame. I originally really loved my car, but I am not so sure now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 06:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Why do you think it's the battery? If it didn't jump, it's likely to be something else I would think.

My 2000 Honda battery lasted 9 years, which was quite long IMO. A battery should last at least 4-5 years. But again, if it didn't jump, this doesn't seem like it's the battery.

What actually happened when you tried to start it? When you turned the key, what did it do?

Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 PM

136 posts, read 448,942 times
Quote:
What actually happened when you tried to start it? When you turned the key, what did it do?
Initially trying to jump it, when I turned the key, it seemed like it would start, then stopped. The longer let it be on
the jumpers, the worse it got. At the last attempts, when I turn the key, the lights in the dash would flicker (flash), then
go dim, but stay on. My radio and power windows would not work at all.

It is some type of electrical problem, whether battery, or the alternator. But I am not a mechanic and the car is at the dealership now.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Going to guess some other electrical problem rather than battery, because if in fact the battery is dead than something probably caused it to go that dead (alternator or other electrical issue). Really, a battery less than 2 years old is not likely to be the problem alone. And it while I'm sure such cases exist it would be unusual to not jump start if it is indeed only the alternator/battery.

Regardless, I would expect it will be covered under warranty.

To answer your question as to whether it's still a reliable car, well, if they come up with a definitive "Here's the problem", and then you leave and it doesn't reoccur, then I think you have nothing to worry about. It's if it turns into a tricky electrical problem that they can't isolate that you worry about ongoing reliability. I'd like to think that would be unusual in Hondas given my experience with them, but my own latest Honda product is much older so it could have changed. Some people appear to think Honda quality has slipped for some models or in some areas.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Regardless, I would expect it will be covered under warranty.
When my battery died, it was covered under warranty. They replaced it with no issues!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Sometimes batteries just go bad.

Google can be very misleading on information like this. Does anyone put up a webpage that says "My Honda battery lasted a long time? "

The battery on my Honda Ridgeline lasted five years. I think that is more than reasonable in Texas. Our Honda Pilot battery lasted a bit less, but it had more miles. And the battery on our Infiniti M35 died at about 40,000 miles and less than four years. I thought that was premature.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
You can literally type in the name of any auto manufacturer followed by "battery problem" and get a hundred results. Simply googling something and counting the number of results isn't exactly word class research.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I bought a new 2011 Honda Accord Coupe Oct. 2, 2010. Today (07/28/12)I went to look at a house for sale 20 miles from my house. When I get back into my car, it would not start.
The realtor and the neighbor both tried to jump the car without any success. It still would not start. Finally called AAA and had it
towed back to the dealership. My car probably only has 20,000 miles on it, maybe less.

Is it normal for a Honda battery to die this quickly? I googled Honda battery problems and was
disheartened to find all kinds of links with Honda battery problems. If I go on a long vacation, do I need to
be concerned the electronics will drain my battery if gone 12 days?

Is my Honda still a reliable car? I am really disappointed to have this situation happen in this short of time-frame. I originally really loved my car, but I am not so sure now!
It's under warranty, don't stop loving your car! Take it to the Honda dealership and tell them about your issue, they'll fix it under the warranty, no problem! Let us know what happens....

Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
I bought a brand new Civic on 2-2-2006. After 92,000 miles, I'm on my third battery. The original battery lasted only until August of 2008. It was covered under warranty. The summers here in South Texas are brutally hot and dry and this will shorten the life of a battery. A three year life expectancy for a car battery has been my experience.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Take it in under warranty, get it fixed, that is why you pay a premium for a new car. Hopefully its just a quick fix.

As a domestic owner I have to point out, if this was a domestic, people would talk about how horrible they are and crappy quality, blah blah blah. Cars are very complex pieces of machinery, and unfortuneately we make them more complex every day. Things are likely to go wrong which is fine.

Here is a thought your car is the most reliable piece of machinery you will own. Think of any device you leave outdoors, and will last 10-20 years, maybe more working relatively reliably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura