U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:15 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,643,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
The old style CRV is perfect for my needs. I love the way it looks and the large amount of interior space. I can easily stand my bike up in the back, and my dog's crate fits perfectly. It gets very good MPG as well.

I don't care for the crossover style. I haven't seen the 2013 model but I've driven the 2012, and it just isn't as appealing to me as the older style.

I'm wanting to replace my '05 CRV. Is there another small SUV that would be comparable to the pre-crossover CRV?
Why replace what you know you like??

I'm a firm believer in keeping cars that I like and still do everything I need done as yours is doing for you now. Unless the Honda is falling apart ,body wise, the rest of it can be kept going for way less than a replacement car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:27 PM

1,231 posts, read 4,531,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The CRV, Rav 4, Forester are relatively close in price plus features, and all are prone to wind/road noise. The road noise can be remedied by choosing the right tires, but wind noise in general requires a little work. Some people place an insulating layer of different materials under the floor carpet, insulate the door panels, and the engine compartment. But that's that's too much work, so what i do is to use the right tires, and crank the receiver's volume up I am used to the noise since I drive a 1987 Civic Si, and a 1988 GMC Sierra that has a 350 motor with headers and dual exhaust resonators.

There are local small companies that specialize on vehicle noise insulating. Maybe you should consider such?
Thought about those options, nut sure how much money I want to put in the CRV. I know the Dueler tires that come with the car are part of the problem. The engine valve lash noise is ridiculous and the dealer acknowledges it and not sure if the wind noise would ever go away. I test drove a V6 Highlander and for a total of $8K more, it delivers much more power and a peaceful road trip. I drive 18K miles a year, but the CRV is mostly sitting in the garage. I have just resurrected our old Minivan, but that is not going to last long.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,513 times
Default Another "old" CR-V lover who hates the new CR-V, and..

We have a 2006 CR-V we just love. We needed to replace the 2nd vehicle, an old minivan, and we thought we'd go out and buy another Cr-V. Well, what a shock--these new round bubble things look nothing like the boxy babe in our garage. And the terrible visibility and lack of glass--EEEK!

Regarding our 2006 CR-V: We love the side / swing tailgate. We love the wheel on the back. We love the squared cargo area--so much easier to load (try to fit a square peg into a round hole).

We needed to make a decision, but we hated the options. No new Honda. No Mazda CX-3, no Tuscon...jelly beans, all. They look like wannabe minivans. Tried the Subaru Forester and liked it, but the gas mileage was sub-par. What to do?

We ended up buying a 2012 Toyota RAV4. The 2012 is the old style, still has the swing gate, still has the rear-mounted tire, still has the semi-boxy look.

Best of all, the price is right, as dealers are willing to deal and close out their inventories.

The dealers have been telling us that feedback is 50/50 on the new jelly bean designs of the compact SUVs like Honda, etc. For every buyer who likes the shape, there's a non-buyer who hates it. Public sentiment is very strong against these new designs and the guesses are that sooner or later (preferably sooner) one of the major manufacturers will go back to the boxy design we know and love.

Last edited by kimanjo; 01-24-2013 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 PM

20,786 posts, read 35,823,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimanjo View Post
We have a 2006 CR-V we just love. We needed to replace the 2nd vehicle, an old minivan, and we thought we'd go out and buy another Cr-V. Well, what a shock--these new round bubble things look nothing like the boxy babe in our garage. And the terrible visibility and lack of glass--EEEK!

Regarding our 2006 CR-V: We love the side / swing tailgate. We love the wheel on the back. We love the squared cargo area--so much easier to load (try to fit a square peg into a round hole).

We needed to make a decision, but we hated the options. No new Honda. No Mazda CX-3, no Tuscon...jelly beans, all. They look like wannabe minivans. Tried the Subaru Forester and liked it, but the gas mileage was sub-par. What to do?

We ended up buying a 2012 Toyota RAV4. The 2012 is the old style, still has the swing gate, still has the rear-mounted tire, still has the semi-boxy look.

Best of all, the price is right, as dealers are willing to deal and close out their inventories.

The dealers have been telling us that feedback is 50/50 on the new jelly bean designs of the compact SUVs like Honda, etc. For every buyer who likes the shape, there's a non-buyer who hates it. Public sentiment is very strong against these new designs and the guesses are that sooner or later (preferably sooner) one of the major manufacturers will go back to the boxy design we know and love.

Agreed.
I am a HUGE fan of the boxy style and that is why I prefer the Subaru Forester as well as the older model Volvos that were more reliable. The Subaru combines the boxy look with superior safety and reliability. Gas mileage tends to be quite a bit better in Summer than Winter. I get in the 30mpg+ range on the highway in Summer, but that drops to the low to mid 20s in the Winter.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 PM

2,829 posts, read 4,000,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Get a used CX-7 or CX-9, those have nice big interiors. Since CX-7 is discontinued this year, you can get a few years old CX-7 quite cheaply.
Those are the epitome of station wagons. The 9 is a low riding bus. It may as well be a "chic" minivan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The old CRV looked great. But when Honda turned the thing into a jelly-bean shape they killed it. That thing is plain ugly. My neighbor bought two slightly used but older CRVs, one for his wife and the other for himself. He hates the new ones, and I can't blame the guy
Before 2012 it was pretty cute. The new Honda Hunchback is so ugly. Who in the world thought that was a good idea. The old look was what? 2010-2011? Why break a good thing? It didn't need a redesign at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They sure seem to be selling well despite people here saying they're ugly.

The Infiniti QX56 sells well too from what I see yet that thing is still big as hell and ugly as sin. It's straight up Jetson's with that massive chunky nose front. It's pretty much a super expensive, cross between a Hummer and a Suburban just with a massive nose/hood.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 15,105 times
Honestly Honda styling is really bad right now. But they still sell.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM

15,308 posts, read 17,502,630 times
Subaru Forester has a brand new redesign coming out within weeks or months. It's a 2014 model and the gas mileage is much improved over prior years. There are photos on the web and it still seems to be square in the back storage area compared to other SUVs.

Maxzda CX-5 is a brand new small SUV that came out last year. The 2014 model is scheduled to arrive at dealers in January, but I am not sure if they are there yet. The 2014 has a new motor with more HP but great MPG. The rest of the CX-5 is same. It is supposed to drive nice. MPG is awesome. there will be 2 motor choices for 2014.

I test drove the new redesigned 2013 Rav4 the other day. It only has a 4 cyl and has similar HP as the CRV. They just arrived at dealers within the last 2 weeks. After the test drive, I thought the vehicle was so-so. I was hoping to like it more so I can buy a vehicle. But am still looking.

Need to test drive the 2014 Forester and 2014 CX-5 as soon as they arrive at dealers (very soon).

Honda CRV is still on the finalist list. I agree with above posters that the rear looks like a dog taking a dump. Also the blinds spot in the back.

I notice a lot of elderly retirees driving CRVs all of a sudden. They used to drove mostly Camrys and Avalons but all of a sudden they are also in CRVs in a very big way.

I am also looking at the Acura RDX which is the CRV with leather and a V6 and more bells/whistles and a huge price tag. But it doesnt look like a dog taking a dump. But is that worth a $12k premium.

For folks that like square in the back, lots of utility and storage, look at the Scion Xb. It is pretty huge as far as storage but drives like a small car. MPG is horrible and HP is low. But the price is low and the storage is huge.

Decisions decisions.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,489,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

I notice a lot of elderly retirees driving CRVs all of a sudden. They used to drove mostly Camrys and Avalons but all of a sudden they are also in CRVs in a very big way.
Decisions decisions.
The elderly drive Buick's. The ideal car in your situation would be the Acura RDX or the Acura MDX. That's what I would get if I could afford it. Stay away from the American, German and Swedish garbage.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 PM

15,308 posts, read 17,502,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
The elderly drive Buick's. The ideal car in your situation would be the Acura RDX or the Acura MDX. That's what I would get if I could afford it. Stay away from the American, German and Swedish garbage.
The Acura RDX is nice. I like that it's a redesigned model. I would rather not get leather (prefer cloth because live in a warm climate) and I am not thrilled with vehicles that recommend premium. But I love the fact that it has a V6 and the style is nice and the bells/whistles are awesome. I can afford it but not sure if it is worth the extra money. Still on the fence, but it's a finalist for sure.

I also like the Acura TSX Sport Wagon, though it has a 4 cyl but not underpowered at all. But it is fun to drive but smaller storage and lower to the ground so lower seats. I didn't drive the RDX but I guess I need to do that soon.

I live in an area in FL with tons of retirees...one of the oldest populations in the USA. You go to the store or restaurant and often just about everyone has gray or white hair. Young people are rare. Babies are endangered species. Anyway... ten years ago the senior citizens drove Buicks and Grand Marquis and a few other large American sedans. They migrated to Camrys and Avalons and the Buicks are now few and far between. Now they are migrating to the CRVs, though they still are driving the Avalons and Camrys. They love the gold Camrys. If I had a dollar for every gold Camry with a white haired driver, it would pay for a new vehicle, probably the Acura RDX.

Last edited by sware2cod; 01-25-2013 at 05:59 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,489,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The Acura RDX is nice. I like that it's a redesigned model. I would rather not get leather (prefer cloth because live in a warm climate) and I am not thrilled with vehicles that recommend premium. But I love the fact that it has a V6 and the style is nice and the bells/whistles are awesome. I can afford it but not sure if it is worth the extra money. Still on the fence, but it's a finalist for sure.

I also like the Acura TSX Sport Wagon, though it has a 4 cyl but not underpowered at all. But it is fun to drive but smaller storage and lower to the ground so lower seats. I didn't drive the RDX but I guess I need to do that soon.

I live in an area in FL with tons of retirees...one of the oldest populations in the USA. You go to the store or restaurant and often just about everyone has gray or white hair. Young people are rare. Babies are endangered species. Anyway... ten years ago the senior citizens drove Buicks and Grand Marquis and a few other large American sedans. They migrated to Camrys and Avalons and the Buicks are now few and far between. Now they are migrating to the CRVs, though they still are driving the Avalons and Camrys. They love the gold Camrys. If I had a dollar for every gold Camry with a white haired driver, it would pay for a new vehicle, probably the Acura RDX.
Nice reply. I guess times are changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura