U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM

11,267 posts, read 13,090,893 times

Advertisements

The original, first gen Civic's were pretty neat looking. And yes, the NSX is a nice machine. That's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 PM

21,287 posts, read 11,516,782 times
I think the Accord hit their high water mark in the mid 90's. I really like those style of Accord and they were great cars. You still see a lot of them on the road today.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:58 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,325,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think the Accord hit their high water mark in the mid 90's. I really like those style of Accord and they were great cars. You still see a lot of them on the road today.
Yep. 90 to 93 Accord was a great car. Also liked the 94-97s. The new ones are god awful.

Google Image Result for http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/honda-crosstour-585.jpg

Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 PM

77,934 posts, read 69,884,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
The 2012 Civic was a huge fail!
That was because of the earthquake in Japan. They couldn't export enough Hondas to begin to meet demand. I know people who bought the 2012 Civic, and felt lucky to have gotten one, because supplies were so limited.

There's one thing I can say about Hondas--they're the safest cars on the road capable of sustaining significant impact with little, if any, visible damage. I'm incredibly impressed. Great mileage, too. I used to be a Toyota fan, but I'm all for Hondas, now.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,082,453 times
I'd have to say the Crosstour borders on Pontiac Aztec levels of ugly.

Acura has generally made good looking cars, but the new grill they adopted a few years back was hideous. In the new models, they're scaling it back a bit - but I'd still take a 2006 TSX over the current one. On a car like that, keep the lines simple and elegant.

I think my biggest complaint about new car designs in general is how big and tall they're making cars. Look at the Ford 500 / Taurus. That is an unnecessarily tall car and I think that contributes to it's unsightliness.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,441,785 times
I don't know what Honda's deal is.

The anime thing sure hits home. The previous generation (-2011) Civic looked all right on the outside, but the interior had this wacky borderline cartoon-y yet erotic thing, with the huge mushroom head shifter surrounded by a round "hole" trim piece, and the... erect... parking brake lever.

What I've also noticed is that some of Honda's designs seem to have this weird thing happening, where one person does the front, another does the back, and neither of them are permitted to see each other's design until the designs are approved. Then they somehow have to figure out how to make them work with each other.

The Odyssey, CRV, Crosstour all suffer from this odd mismatch of totally mismatched front and rears. The Odyssey is bizarre, and not in a good way, especially with that ghastly "whoops" style line of the bottom of the windows, where the two different designs crash into each other. The CRV's rear end is nasty. The Crosstour is a total disaster. The current generation Civic, with it's Dodge Neon inspired rear end, just doesn't look right.

Although Hondas aren't my thing, they do, or did, have some decent designs, IMO. The Pilot isn't too bad, although the rear windows look a bit odd to me. The 2013 Accord looks pretty decent, and although not exciting, it will probably sell very well. The Fits look good on the road, and I see a lot of them. They're a little quirky, but it works, and they're really clever and spacious on the inside. The 04-08 Acura TL, S2000, some previous generation Accords and the late 80s Prelude (a classic late 80s wedge) were pretty decent.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 28,652,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I guess I'm just kind of waking up to this fact. I've owned one Honda in my life, a 1984 Honda Accord Liftback I bought new. Very nice but boring car. Was not trouble free, they actually had to replace the fuel injection system when it only had 10K miles on it.

So I'm not a Honda hater at all. But the pure uglyness of their new models is shocking to me.

I saw a new Honda van in a Target parking lot the other day. It was black but they really ugly it up by putting chrome trim around the windows. I swear it looks just like a hearse. So this guy has his family riding around in a car that looks just like a hearse

I think the Crosstour is the ugliest car ever made, I think we can all agree on that. But now they made the CRV look just like it! I mean the CRV went from a pretty nice looking small SUV to that abomination.

I was following a Honda Accord yesterday and didn't really realize just how ugly they have become. The back end is a nightmare. How many different angles do they have going on? I remember when Hondas had clean lines and gave a conservative, safe image. Now they are just stupid looking.

What has happened to that company? Even the Acuras are starting to look goofy.
Maybe their exteriors have been Americanized? I have no idea, but while looking at a new Toyota SR5 today, I was thinking that it looked like one of the large US SUV's. Maybe like an "Armada" or whatever the name of that other ugly thing is If I well remember the exterior/interior design changes have been made in the US.

I still drive a 1987 Civi Si that has over 262,000 miles. The little thing has been extremely reliable through all these years, and still does not burn a drop of oil. The interior is very simple, and the exterior is quite nice compare to the weird designs of today.

This is not mine, but is identical to mine:
Civic Si - 1987: Grassroots Motorsports forum: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,191,755 times
Reliable... but ugly indeed.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,479,264 times
the original crv design was the one I liked Best the fit is nice for a small car

Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,542,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I must strongly agree. The latest CRV looks like (as one poster put it) a dog taking a dump
Yeah, I can sort of see that:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....e---02-opt.jpg

http://www.poopprank.com/dog-poop-video/dp7.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura